problems with lkm, (modstat)

Post by Leonardo Madriga » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi all!

i just upgrade to 3.1-STABLE

Any ideas why im getting device not configured, when i run modstat?

Thank you.

Guadalajara:</root>% ll /dev/lkm
8629 crw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  -  32,   0 Mar  9 14:43 /dev/lkm
Guadalajara:</root>% modstat
modstat: /dev/lkm: Device not configured
Guadalajara:</root>%

problems with lkm, (modstat)

Post by Brian O'She » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Kernel modules have been totally re-worked.  From the 3.0-RELEASE
release notes (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/3.0R/notes.html):

    The kernel is also still in a.out format at this time so that older
    LKMs and library interfaces can continue to work, but a full
    transition to ELF will occur at some point after 3.0-RELEASE.  Those
    wishing to generate dynamic kernel components should therefore use the
    newer KLD mechanism rather than the older LKM format - the LKM format
    is not long for this world and will soon be unsupported!

Using the KLD mechanism is very similar to the old LKM way.  All of the
commands are the same except replace "lkm" with "kld" (kldload, kldstat,
kldunload).  Modules can be found in the /modules directory (instead of
/lkm) and have a '.ko' extension (instead of '.o').

Be sure to read the 3.1 release notes too!  Find them at:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/3.1R/notes.html

--
Brian O'Shea

(408) 447-3747

1. Please help: modstat problems!!

Hello there,
I installed FreeBSD 3.2 from CD-ROM. After that I tried to install and
configure the Linux emulation.
In the handbook in the chapter about the Linux emulation it tells me to
type "modstat" to see if the linux loadable kernel module is running.
But "modstat" gives me the following response:
modstat: device not configured

I checked the /dev directory but the entry lkm is *there*. I browsed
through the handbook and through the FAQs as well as through this
newsgroup but I could find any hints how to resolve this problem.

I'd appreciate very much any help in this regard.

Thanks in advance,
Alan

2. make seg faults

3. modstat ?

4. reclaiming space

5. LKM compile problem

6. bind() and unassigned local port numbers.

7. LKM Newbie with some problems

8. What to buy for $3000?

9. LKM system calls.

10. Looking for home based Linux LKM and socket based application project

11. Getting the CPU load value in a LKM...

12. LKM: Linux Emulator Q

13. Generating a simple sound (f.e. "beep") in a LKM - 2.2.12