spamassassin with fetchmail

Post by John » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 17:28:22

Hi group

Has anyone here managed to pipe fetchmail downloads to procmail (and
therefore spamassassin ) under freebsd 4.8? If so, have you any
clues/links on how to do it? Or a more appropiate newsgroup?

thanks

--
John - http://www.reiteration.net/~jfm
Hitting 'reply' sends your email to the bit-bucket. To reply via email

Post by John Nielse » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 17:56:01

> Has anyone here managed to pipe fetchmail downloads to procmail (and
> therefore spamassassin ) under freebsd 4.8? If so, have you any
> clues/links on how to do it? Or a more appropiate newsgroup?

Mail retrieved by fetchmail goes through sendmail and whatever other filters
you have set up just like mail sent directly to your system.  I call spamc
in my sitewide procmailrc, but you could just as easily do it in the user's
.procmailrc.

JN

--
Remove pig-latin to reply by e-mail

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:27:22

>Has anyone here managed to pipe fetchmail downloads to procmail (and
>therefore spamassassin ) under freebsd 4.8? If so, have you any
>clues/links on how to do it? Or a more appropiate newsgroup?

Been using it for many months.

Fetchmail gets the mail.

I have the patch in the sendmail.cf with the mail filter
set to spamassassin.

.procmailrc is set up just as the docs show.

Works wonderfully well.

Perhaps you would care to post some of your problems.  Are there
any error messages anywhere.  Do you see any indications on any of
your log files?

--

spamassassin with fetchmail

Post by Rudi Ahler » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:58:21

Has anyone been able to do this with fetchmail in combination with qmail?
And will modem dialup affect this at all?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Compassion is difficult to give away because it keeps coming back.

> >Has anyone here managed to pipe fetchmail downloads to procmail (and
> >therefore spamassassin ) under freebsd 4.8? If so, have you any
> >clues/links on how to do it? Or a more appropiate newsgroup?

> Been using it for many months.

> Fetchmail gets the mail.

> I have the patch in the sendmail.cf with the mail filter
> set to spamassassin.

> .procmailrc is set up just as the docs show.

> Works wonderfully well.

> Perhaps you would care to post some of your problems.  Are there
> any error messages anywhere.  Do you see any indications on any of
> your log files?

> --

spamassassin with fetchmail

Post by John » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:24:36

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 08:56:01 GMT, John Nielsen

> > Has anyone here managed to pipe fetchmail downloads to procmail (and
> > therefore spamassassin ) under freebsd 4.8? If so, have you any
> > clues/links on how to do it? Or a more appropiate newsgroup?

>  Mail retrieved by fetchmail goes through sendmail and whatever other filters
>  you have set up just like mail sent directly to your system.  I call spamc
>  in my sitewide procmailrc, but you could just as easily do it in the user's
>  .procmailrc.

twas my fault... I forgot to invoke spamd. Now I can use my pop3 mail
account that had lain dormant for a number of years due to spam (it gets
1-2k spams a month) .. load went up to 100 when it was downloading and
sorting it though :) [1] however the fbsd box didn't miss a beat!

[1] a config error here causing a mail loop
--
John - http://www.reiteration.net/~jfm
Hitting 'reply' sends your email to the bit-bucket. To reply via email
please decode the following: jfm (at) reiteration (dot) net
PGP / GPG public keys available on website

spamassassin with fetchmail

Post by John » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:37:33

Quote:>  Has anyone been able to do this with fetchmail in combination with qmail?
>  And will modem dialup affect this at all?

I think it depends on how qmail handles .forward. What I now understand
happens is fetchmail > local MTA > procmail (procmail invokes
spamassasin) > your mailboxes. In your case the local MTA is qmail. I
thought qmail was a drop-in replacement for sendmail with extra
functionality, and I'm *fairly* sure it handles .forward in the same way
(look up the manual for qmail to make sure though).

The suggested .forward file in the spamassassin docs causes mail to
bounce with sendmail and exim on my system (the suggested one that is
given as an example in the spamassassin INSTALL is:

#"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #user"

I use a .forward like this, which works well for me:

"|/usr/local/bin/procmail -f-"

I don't think it matters if your connectivity is intermittent. I think
that to accomodate that you have to modify retry timeouts with your MTA
and set .fetchmailrc to the times you want to dial out, otherwise you
will get too many error logs.
--

Post by John » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:39:00

> >Has anyone here managed to pipe fetchmail downloads to procmail (and
> >therefore spamassassin ) under freebsd 4.8? If so, have you any
> >clues/links on how to do it? Or a more appropiate newsgroup?

>  Been using it for many months.

Hi Bill

sorted it now it was due to me being an idiot. (see other replies)

cheers

--

Post by Bill Vermilli » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 03:24:54

>> >Has anyone here managed to pipe fetchmail downloads to procmail (and
>> >therefore spamassassin ) under freebsd 4.8? If so, have you any
>> >clues/links on how to do it? Or a more appropiate newsgroup?
>>  Been using it for many months.
>sorted it now it was due to me being an idiot. (see other replies)

Join the crowd.  None of is perfict.

Do make sure that your procmail calls spamc and not spamassassin.

My system would slow to a crawl [and old slow machine for new and
mail] and sometimes I'd wind up downloading the same message
again as the first instance was still in the queue trying to be
processed with CPU at 0.0% idle when I'd get a big bunch.

Bill

--

Post by Vladimir V. Egori » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 00:29:55

>>  Has anyone been able to do this with fetchmail in combination with qmail?
>>  And will modem dialup affect this at all?

> I think it depends on how qmail handles .forward. What I now understand
> happens is fetchmail > local MTA > procmail (procmail invokes
> spamassasin) > your mailboxes. In your case the local MTA is qmail. I
> thought qmail was a drop-in replacement for sendmail with extra
> functionality, and I'm *fairly* sure it handles .forward in the same way
> (look up the manual for qmail to make sure though).

> The suggested .forward file in the spamassassin docs causes mail to
> bounce with sendmail and exim on my system (the suggested one that is
> given as an example in the spamassassin INSTALL is:

> #"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #user"

> I use a .forward like this, which works well for me:

> "|/usr/local/bin/procmail -f-"

Put this in .qmail file (instead of .forward):

--
Vladimir