FreeBSD Perl Core Dump (bus error)

Post by Blaine M Barb » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

We have a newly installed FreeBSD server here, and the performance
has been fantastic so far!

One thing that I was concerned about when installing it at work was
something that I had trouble with at home, which was a great number
of "bus error" core dumps.  I am now seeing this on the new machine, with
any version of 'perl'.  Even an old BSD/386 binary that I have sitting
around dumps core on me.  It has nothing to do with any script in particular,
as I have tried using perl from the command line as well as trying several
scripts... all with the same results.

Is there anyone else out there that has a problem with lots of bus
errors?  I find it hard to believe that it is a hardware problem, simply
because the hardware configuration is completely different on the
two machines.  Also, none of the other operating systems that I run
on my home machine have a problem with such things.

Any thoughts, experience, or kernel tweaks that can help me to get
around this problem are much appreciated!

-Blaine

Sentex Unix Support/Administration
Geek Code:  d-- p-(---) c+++ l++ u++ e+ m++(--) s n+ h-- f !g w- t r-- x*
IRC:  dyejob (#unix->EFNET)

Post by Blaine M Barb » Thu, 28 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: We have a newly installed FreeBSD server here, and the performance
: has been fantastic so far!

: One thing that I was concerned about when installing it at work was
: something that I had trouble with at home, which was a great number
: of "bus error" core dumps.  I am now seeing this on the new machine, with
: any version of 'perl'.  Even an old BSD/386 binary that I have sitting
: around dumps core on me.

As it turns out, it was only perl v 5 that we were having a problem with.
I've linked /usr/local/bin/perl to a v 4 binary for the time being, and
it seems to be ok... still, this is a bit of a problem.

-Blaine

FreeBSD Perl Core Dump (bus error)

Post by J Wuns » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> As it turns out, it was only perl v 5 that we were having a problem with.

Perl 5 is still a moving target.  Make sure you upgrade to the most
recent version, and if your problem persists, get in contact with the
Perl folks about it.

--
cheers, J"org

1. FreeBSD problem: Bus Error (core dumped) !Please Help!

I'm trying to install a piece of software that has serious problems. I
have abandoned the idea, for now though. Here's my problem:

My FreeBSD server is also my web server, so I wanted to install a small
site search. My brother accidently downloaded the IBM version, which may
have done wierd things to it? I'm not sure.

Next he downloaded the supposed BSD version: BSDI2.0, which is obviously
not compatible. This one ends in the error: Bus Error (core dumped).

I know that there is no way to install it, now that I know it was BSDI
and not FreeBSD, but this leaves another queston. Did either
installation attempt mess up any of my system files?

--
"Light my Fire." - Jim Morrison
Mike Hallock        Arachnid        http://www.medina.net/mikeh/

2. MPEG for svgalib?

3. Core Dump - Bus Error

4. 1.3.12 install errors - pls help

5. NCSA htppd 1.5 gives Bus Error (core dumped) !!

6. Bootable disk for SCO 4.2

7. Bus error (core dumped) !please help!

8. Kerberos and FTP

9. Bus error - core dump

10. Core Dump - Bus Error

11. java in netscape = bus error core dump

12. (Bus Error) Core Dumped?

13. bus error core dump