What a jump (RE: Simple CVSup Question)

Post by David Hensha » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi all.

Thought I'd share my "delightful" experience with you all.

I recently decided the 3.0 Release (#9) I had on CDROM was out of date
and that I wanted to upgrade.

Here in Australia, releases seem to lag a bit.  So I thought, I'll kill
two birds with one stone and upgrade using CVSup.

After some prelim reading (thanx to all those who have contributed,
after reading I was confident I could "conquer" - and make - the world)
I decided that I would track the RELENG_3 branch, which would track the
3.2 branch.

Initially, I was cautious and decided to CVSup everything to a temporary
directory.  After watching this for a while and checking what files were
deposited, I decided I was ready!

So, I "supped" the src distributions I required.

I then made the world following the nice guidelines supplied in Nik
Clayton's notes on making the world.

Initially I had a few teething problems, but this was because I did not
have the contrib and gnu source distributions on the machine.

So, I installed all the src for gnu and contrib, reSupped and started
the build again.

This appeared to go well so I went to bed.  Next morning, the world was
built and installed.  FYI, the machine is a Pentium 150 with 80Mg RAM
and a 6.4 Gb HD.

Anyway, at this point I tryed to to a ps and was met with an error
message as I expected.

So, I left the system running (I was not game to power down), for later.

Later.  Rebuilt the kernel.  Of course my old config file didn't provide
good results, so I recreated this from the LINT file.

Kernel built and installed with similar teething problems due to
dependancies I had not identified.

Finally, a new kernel was committed to the root filesystem.

For safety's sake, I retained my old 3.0 kernel.  (This proved a wise
move).

I then said a quick prayer and rebooted.

Since this is a secondary disk, I need a boot disk.  The boot prompt
appeared and I typed in 1:wd(2,a)kernel at the boot: ? prompt.

BEEP!

Invalid kernel format.

Quick thinking, and of course, the 3.0 floppies would be incompatible.

So, I recreated a new boot floppy and read up on the new boot process.

To cut the long story short, now I have a machine, running 3.2, with all
my old applications and configuration still intact.

Whilst it was a lengthy procees, I attribute this to the fact that this
was first for me.

In all, it was no great big deal.  However, it was made so much simpler
given the wealth of information that I was able to find.

Many thanks to all who unknowinlgy made this a pleasurable and painless
experience.

Regards,

David Henshaw

1. Simple CVSup config question.

This is my supfile:
===============
*default host=cvsup.usa.OpenBSD.org
*default base=/var
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix compress

OpenBSD-src tag=.
===============

It works very well at updating my /usr/src tree, but
how does CVS know whether I want the stable version
of 2.8 or some other version?

There doesn't seem to be anything in the supfile
that would specify which version I need.

I ask because there seem to be some very strange
bugs in the source code I'm downloading.

2. Hardware, hold the OS...

3. Simple CVSup question

4. stty erase

5. CVSUP QUESTION - where are the /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ files in 4.6-RELEASE?

6. Sound Blaster AWE 64 Gold

7. java/43949: Port java/jump should install jump.jar in shared jars dir

8. nfs mount logging

9. kde-cvsup and cvsup - help?!?!

10. When to cvsup from cvsup.schumann.cx

11. A simple question deserving a simple answer

12. a simple sed question ( there all simple :> )

13. Simple question from simple user