FTP error 425 Can't build data connection: Operation timed out

FTP error 425 Can't build data connection: Operation timed out

Post by Davo » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:12:25

I am trying to FTP to someone elses box but I keep getting this error
425 Can't build data connection: Operation timed out
I have a firewall and I think that is blocking it but I've allowed data
connections through port 21 like this
$fwcmd add allow tcp from any to any 21 setup
So theoretically that should work but for somereason it doesn't, I'm
using FreeBSD 4.5, Thanks in Advance

Dave

Post by Chuck Swige » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 07:12:41

> I am trying to FTP to someone elses box but I keep getting this error
> 425 Can't build data connection: Operation timed out
> I have a firewall and I think that is blocking it but I've allowed data
> connections through port 21 like this
> $fwcmd add allow tcp from any to any 21 setup

You need to permit established connections to 21, too...otherwise the
connection will cut off after one packet.  However, using PASV (passive FTP)
is highly recommended instead.

-Chuck

       -------------+-------------------+-----------------------------------
       "The human race's favorite method for being in control of the facts
        is to ignore them."  -Celia Green

Post by Daniel Rud » Sun, 23 Jun 2002 01:38:50

> I am trying to FTP to someone elses box but I keep getting this error
> 425 Can't build data connection: Operation timed out
> I have a firewall and I think that is blocking it but I've allowed data
> connections through port 21 like this
> $fwcmd add allow tcp from any to any 21 setup
> So theoretically that should work but for somereason it doesn't, I'm
> using FreeBSD 4.5, Thanks in Advance

> Dave

in your .profile, set FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES
--
Daniel Rudy

1. FTP: "425 Can't build data connection: Operation timed out." ????

        Machine hosting domain x.com, with name x.com and a.x.com,
using a 3c509 to a Netgear DSL router, with 8 allocated IP addresses.
Machine is running FreeBSD 2.2.8 and has an IP alias named b.x.com
off this same NIC (ifconfig ep0 alias...)

        FTP'ing into x.com from the outside works fine. FTP'ing into
b.x.com (the alias) yields:

425 Can't build data connection: Operation timed out.

        whenever a DIR (LS) command is given, although logging into
b.x.com through FTP works fine (as does TELNET into b.x.com).

        FTP'ing into b.x.com from x.com works fine.

        What's going on ?
        Thanks.

2. (Lack of) auto-loader support under UnixWare 2.x and Solaris x86

3. FTP: 425 Can't build data connection: Connection timed out.

4. Intel PRO/DSL 2100 modem, Drivers??????

5. 425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused

6. Cannot install Mandrake 7. Help!

7. Getting Mail from a different site

8. FTP error: Can't build data connection: Connection refused.

9. FTP Server connection error 425 through Win 98 proxy/portmapping

10. FTP error : can't build data connection !!!!