two lan card

Post by Keith H » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Dear,
           I am running Freebsd 3.4r and installed two lan card. I can
ping rl0 lan Card but cannot ping xl0 lan card. I already setup
gateway_enable to Yes. What is my mistake.

two lan card

Post by Craig Burges » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I am running Freebsd 3.4r and installed two lan card. I can
> ping rl0 lan Card but cannot ping xl0 lan card. I already setup
> gateway_enable to Yes. What is my mistake.

You must have a custom kernel which loads both nic drivers AND sets the
required options for IPDIVERT and IPFIREWALL.

You will also need to enable network address translation (NAT) and
specify the "public interface" for natd.

You must have a legitimate IP number which is assigned to you by your
ISP and to your "public interface" (nic) by you.  You then define both
nics in /etc/rc.conf

When you think that everything is ready, use 'ifconfig -a' to see that
both cards are UP and RUNNING

here are the relevant lines from my rc.conf for 2 nics:
     ifconfig_xl0="inet 24.0.xxx.xx  netmask 255.255.255.0"
     ifconfig_rl0="inet 192.168.xxx.xxx  netmask 255.255.255.0"
     network_interfaces="xl0 fx0 lo0"
     defaultrouter="24.0.xxx.xxx"

I hope that this helps.

craig

--
For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a
cat.

two lan card

Post by Keith H » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Dear,
        I tested. But I still cannot ping xl0 lan card. I am using real IP
for two card.

--->Routor--->222.xxx.xxx.2 <-------> 222.xxx.xxx.3 --------> HUB

* rl0 - 222.xxx.xxx.2
*xl0 - 222.xxx.xxx.3

Pls see my picture . How can I do these ?

> > I am running Freebsd 3.4r and installed two lan card. I can
> > ping rl0 lan Card but cannot ping xl0 lan card. I already setup
> > gateway_enable to Yes. What is my mistake.

> You must have a custom kernel which loads both nic drivers AND sets the
> required options for IPDIVERT and IPFIREWALL.

> You will also need to enable network address translation (NAT) and
> specify the "public interface" for natd.

> You must have a legitimate IP number which is assigned to you by your
> ISP and to your "public interface" (nic) by you.  You then define both
> nics in /etc/rc.conf

> When you think that everything is ready, use 'ifconfig -a' to see that
> both cards are UP and RUNNING

> here are the relevant lines from my rc.conf for 2 nics:
>      ifconfig_xl0="inet 24.0.xxx.xx  netmask 255.255.255.0"
>      ifconfig_rl0="inet 192.168.xxx.xxx  netmask 255.255.255.0"
>      network_interfaces="xl0 fx0 lo0"
>      defaultrouter="24.0.xxx.xxx"

> I hope that this helps.

> craig

> --
> For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a
> cat.

two lan card

Post by Kristian Ra » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi

>           I am running Freebsd 3.4r and installed two lan card. I can
>ping rl0 lan Card but cannot ping xl0 lan card. I already setup
>gateway_enable to Yes. What is my mistake.

Silly question ...
u did copy u'r rl0 interface line in /etc/rc.conf, renamed it xl0, and
assigned other ip's ? and added xl0 to the interface list (that
contains rl0 and lo) ???

regards

Kristian

two lan card

Post by Frédéric Hab » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Dear,
>         I tested. But I still cannot ping xl0 lan card. I am using real IP
> for two card.

> --->Routor--->222.xxx.xxx.2 <-------> 222.xxx.xxx.3 --------> HUB

> * rl0 - 222.xxx.xxx.2
> *xl0 - 222.xxx.xxx.3

1) what exactly are you trying to do ?
2) where do you ping from ?

If anyway, your two IPs are on the same net, this won't work out of the
box. You would need to enable bridging in the kernel, but it doesn't
support your RealTek card. I guess you'll etheir have to use another
(private ?) range on one side or get another LAN card. (BTW, Intel
EtherExpress PRO/100B are by far better than any 3Com that I know off).

--

1. How can I configure my slackware 7.1 Linux work with two LAN cards in one PC

Dear experts :

I heard that Linux can work with more than one LAN card .

So, How can I configure my slackware 7.1 Linux work with two LAN cards in
one PC to connect with two network?

My Lan situation as follows :

The first LAN network is 169.254.2.0 . It is running a DHCP server to assign
IP . I am using a Intel epro 10 LAN card for it as eth0.

The second LAN network is 192.168.0.0 which does not has DHCP and use static
IP address. I am using a 3COM 3C905B as eth1.

I tested the modules driver which is working by the following manual steps :

1. I can run the modprob eth0 and eth1 to load the module drivers .

2. I can bring eth0 up by using ifconfig eth0 up command.
But the eth0 could not get IP address from DHCP server.

3. I can bring eth1 up by using ?ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.251 netmask
255.255.255.0 .?
eth1 is working fine .

I did try to run ?dhcpcd eth0 ? but it hang and down the eth0
automatically.

So, why the eth0 can not work and get the IP address ?  ( I am sure that the
eth0 does not have hardware problem because it work on the second network if
I change the Lan cable between first and second network.).

Also, I do not know how to config on LAN card using DHCP and another do not
using DHCP under Slackware.

I became hopeless and can not find out what is the solution. Therefore , I
hope some body can give me a help.

Hope to have any reply soon.

Thanks
K. M. Lau

2. missing __FDSET_INTS -> __FDSET_LONGS changes in 2.0.2 patch

3. Two LAN-Cards under Linux? Help needed!

4. get rid of NGROUPS limit - prelim patch

5. How to configure two LAN Card in one PC?

6. Annex3 Terminal Server

7. IP-Masq: one or two LAN cards?

8. Are my c++ libraries installed?

9. Has anyone be able to run two LAN cards in a Multia?

10. Second LAN card

11. Two LAN-Cards under Linux? Help needed!

12. Separate Inbound and Outbound on two LAN cards?