system time

Post by azzy » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

hi all,

I have a problem with my system clock running very very slow. The CMOS clock
is OK and immediately after reboot %date gives the correct time, but then it
starts losing approx. 5-6h/day. It's a 300 Celeron/64MB machine.

Please help!

system time

Post by Mark Sling » Fri, 21 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> hi all,

> I have a problem with my system clock running very very slow. The CMOS clock
> is OK and immediately after reboot %date gives the correct time, but then it
> starts losing approx. 5-6h/day. It's a 300 Celeron/64MB machine.

> Please help!

Other than getting rid of the food group that Intel calls a processor (Yes, I know, a very biased opinion of my own :), you could set a cron job to run ntpdate on an hourly basis.

Mark.

system time

Post by Oliver Stuebb » Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> > hi all,

> > I have a problem with my system clock running very very slow. The CMOS clock
> > is OK and immediately after reboot %date gives the correct time, but then it
> > starts losing approx. 5-6h/day. It's a 300 Celeron/64MB machine.

> > Please help!

> Other than getting rid of the food group that Intel calls a processor (Yes, I know, a very biased opinion of my own :), you could set a cron job to run ntpdate on an hourly basis.

> Mark.

I ve got the same problem with a AMD k5 100
The distance between two seconds, displayed with date, are very long (about 10 or 20 seconds).
I could sove it by changing the kern.hardware.timecounter from tsc to i8254
 sysctrl -w kern.timecounter.hardware=i8254  (i hope the parameter are correct you can find the correct name by

sysctrl -a | grep time

)

I hope it helps
cu Oliver

system time

Post by Rainer Duffne » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

> hi all,

> I have a problem with my system clock running very very slow. The CMOS clock
> is OK and immediately after reboot %date gives the correct time, but then it
> starts losing approx. 5-6h/day. It's a 300 Celeron/64MB machine.

> Please help!

Somewhere in your /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup file, put a line that says

ntpdate timeserver

where timeserver is the name or IP of your ISP's timeserver.

cheers,
Rainer

1. Daylight Savings time, system time, hardware time....

I am sure that this has been rehashed a bunch of times, but I can't seem
to get it through my thick  skull...

I have a RedHat 6.0 system, 2.2.13 kernel.  I need to configure the darn
thing to keep the right time.  I can't seem to correctly configure the
hardware clock so that it correctly deals with DST.

I tried setting it to UTC using RedHat's tools, but it had no effect.
The time zone information must be correct, since the calendar displays
EDT, but the hardware clock and the system clock are now exactly
backwards.....  The hardware clock is one hour ahead of the system
clock.

Wed Apr 19 13:48:25 EDT 2000
Wed Apr 19 14:48:26 2000  -0.940635 seconds

What files do I need to change (by hand, not through possibly broken GUI
tools) to make this right?

Thanks,

--Yan
--

Think different
        ride a recumbent

2. cdrom burning..good drive/software?

3. : User/System time from getrusage/times etc.

4. The 'w' command

5. Set system time using Internet time server

6. ksh non-login startup file

7. Setting system time from time server

8. SQL*Net on Linux ?

9. System time warping around real time problem - please help

10. system time and filesystem time

11. is paging time counted as system time?

12. system time leading cmos time

13. SIMS date and time is not matching with system time