3.4 New kernel build - panic cpu type not configured

3.4 New kernel build - panic cpu type not configured

Post by Kristian Ra » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi

In the local computer club someone had a CD-R w. the downloadable iso
image of 3.4-R

I helped install the thing (i have 3.2 and 3.3 myself - 3.4 is yet to
arrive from my buyware source) on an old  Cyrix P120 (P150+) based
machine.

First thing to do was a recompile - put in the ipfw related options
and kill the lines relating to 386/486 cpu's (leaving in 586 & 686
(Pentium & PentiumPro)

Everything went well - but on reboot - the messages said something
like "Panic : Processor type not configured" or something to the same
effect. it rebooted - and i stopped it and told it about
/kernel.GENERIC
It booted - paniced and said weird shit about FPU, Int 16 etc.
I powered the machine off and on - asked it to try the original kernel
again - and all went well. i copied the original kernel on top of
kernel - rebooted (-r now) and everything went well... i looked trough
LINT - but couldnt find any references stating that there was
something like "cx586_CPU" or "i586_CPU_IS_CYRIX" or anything else
relating to the Panic error messages.
I edited the new config file again and added the "i486_CPU" line (so
"i386_CPU" was still left out) recompiled - installed - rebooted (-r
now) and everything went well....

what am i missing ?

tia & regards

Kristian

3.4 New kernel build - panic cpu type not configured

Post by Csaba Gulya » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi, Kristian,

Check the detected CPU type on startup, or grab it from dmesg. What kind
of CPU is detected now?

Regards,

Csaba

Post by Timothy J. L » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

|I helped install the thing (i have 3.2 and 3.3 myself - 3.4 is yet to
|arrive from my buyware source) on an old  Cyrix P120 (P150+) based
|machine.
|
|I edited the new config file again and added the "i486_CPU" line (so
|"i386_CPU" was still left out) recompiled - installed - rebooted (-r
|now) and everything went well....
|
|what am i missing ?

Looks like your CPU is viewed by the kernel as a 486-class CPU.

Perhaps the GENERIC and LINT kernels should have comments in them
indicating which CPUs belong to which of the kernel CPU classes.

3.4 New kernel build - panic cpu type not configured

Post by Alan Core » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have found that you need to leave i386 in your config file, I run a 486, and
> took all out except the 486, didn't work. When I added 386 back in it worked
> fine.

> -Robert

Yes, the "machine i386" line means it's Intel compatible (not a DEC
Alpha), as opposed to the "cpu I386_CPU" line that means you're acually
running a 386 (not 486, Pentium, etc.).

I was bummed to find that my AMD K6-2 450 needs to run as a 586, not 686.
And of course my AMD 586-133's have to run as 486's.

  Alan Corey

              It's time to FDISK Microsoft and reformat.

Post by Oswa » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have found that you need to leave i386 in your config file, I run a 486, and
took all out except the 486, didn't work. When I added 386 back in it worked
fine.

-Robert

1. Kernel panic with Cyrix Cx486 S25 CPU (similar to U5 CPU panic)

He resolved his problem by installing an Intel CPU.

I have a Cyrix Cx486 S25 FasCache (Cx486S-25GP) processor that fails in
the same way.  The messages are:
   math_emulate: 0010:0010ebb4
   Kernel panic: Math emulation required in kernel
   In swapper task - not syncing

The kernel should have math emulation support.  It's the same kernel that
I use on a AMD 386SX/25.  I've also tried the boot/root image diskettes--
similar results.  I'm running Linux 1.0.8.

Any ideas?  TIA.
Paul.

2. Problem with 1 GIG Enhanced IDE-More than 16 heads...

3. Kernel Panic: Can't mount root - after building new kernel

4. Linux and hard cards

5. Can't mount 2.0.30 - kernel panic (Slackware 3.4)

6. Help with frustrating problem - Please

7. panic: CPU class not configured

8. Remote X

9. New kernel build failure - conflicting types for `proc_lookup' - Help?

10. kernel panic on boot (cpu #1 not responding)?

11. Help-A-Newbie(tm) RH 4.2: Configure/Build/Install new kernel always fails

12. Bridge panic (3.4-RELEASE)

13. IPTables not working with new Kernel build