fdisk and hard drives larger than 2GB

Post by David Gething » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 00:29:05

Hi,

I'm sure this is documented somewhere on the FreeBSD website, or an FAQ
somewhere, but after a couple of days searching I have drawn a blank.

Basically my problem is that fdisk 'refuses' to create a partition/slice
larger than 2GB even though the HD is 20GB in size.

I have checked my BIOS. This reports the correct Size
Cylinder/Head/Sector (2491/255/63) however fdisk always only sees
256/255/63. I have tried reseting the geometry in fdisk with the C/H/S
values provided by the BIOS, but when creating the partion in fdisk it
will only ever allocate 2GB, regardless of what value I give it.

I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.6.2 RELEASE on i368 platform. I have
also looked at upgrading to 4.7 RELEASE, but the fdisk on that version
has the same problem too and I know I will run short of disk space if I
upgrade.

So please, anyone with any info/links/advice on what I can you to
resolve my problem, please let me know!

TIA

Dg

1. Changing out hard drives to larger drives

We are running SCO 3.2/4.2 with a DPT PCI SCSI controller configured for
RAID level 1 (disk mirroring).

We would like to replace our drives (currently 2GB) with larger capacity
hard drives (4GB).

Our LONE-TAR backup software will allow us to restore our data to a
different hard drive.

In theory, this means I can install and configure the new drive array
using the dos DPT utility, then reboot using our LONE-TAR system crash
airbag recovery disks, then pick the option to restore the data on the
new array.

Has anyone tried this yet? Or is there a simpler way to perform this
swap.

Thanks
Mike Scholz

2. whoami command

3. linux fdisk & hard disk larger than 8.4G

4. Samba vs OpenAFS?

5. fdisk and 4.2GB drives

6. Lonely...

7. Converting to a larger hard drive

8. Sendmail "play isping" scripting question

9. Restore mksysb on hard drive with larger PP size

10. some system and larger hard drives.

11. Moving linux to larger hard drive...

12. Help needed with larger hard drive

13. Larger hard drives