ping reply delay

Post by quibb » Fri, 27 Nov 1998 04:00:00

hello all,

i am setting up a freebsd box and installed everything, to my
knowledge, correctly.  this is the fourth time i have re-installed
freebsd, becuase i thought i may have done something wrong.  alas the
same problem continues to reoccur.
i have configured the network card in said machine, but it will not
effectively ping another computer on the same network without a
response time of up to 10000.00ms.  the two computers are on the same
hub, with one internet router.  please help.

thanks in advance

1. Q: how to suppress ping replies to certain hosts

(pls mail answers; erratic newsfeed)

Situation:
Every 5 minutes I am being pinged by a certain host. This is duly logged.
The problem is, I do not wish the host in question to be able to ping me
(the reason is a long and complex story).

Question:
How do I, short of reading through and experimenting with a rather large
portion of the kernel sources, exclude a discreet host (on ip adress)
from receiving an echo?

I would very much appreciate it if someone could point me to a utility
and/or the parts of the kernel that need to be modified in order to do
this.

Regards,

Gabriel

Computers are useless; they can only give answers.

Cadet, German Air Force         | Please include the disclaimer
University of the Armed Forces  | of your choice here.
Munich, Germany                 | < Your ad here! Call: 1-800-FOR-RENT >

        (presently erratic routing, reply-to set accordingly)

snail-mail: UniBwM 106/2-305, 85577 Neubiberg, Germany

2. XNS for Linux?

3. Q: Can I set to disable about PING reply from client ?

4. Firewall

5. disable broadcast ping reply

6. pnp problems with Creative Modem Blaster Flash 56 II

7. arp replies not seen, ping's don't echo

8. *** smail (directors?) problem ****

9. Ping replies getting reordered ...

10. 2 ip adresses, different subnet, ping reply from ip in other subnet ?

11. Ping eth0 and eth1 reply's HELP!

12. Disable echo reply (ping)

13. DUP! replies to broadcast pings