Programming/Application Dev

Post by T.Jacob » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I'm new to freenix application dev and would like to find programmers to
create applications to run on freeBSD.

Questions:

 To develop applications to run on freeBSD, does a programmer need to be an
expert and or     be familiar with freeBSD or does it matter?

Can a Unix programmer just as easily develop apps for freeBSD?

Thanks in advance to any knowledgeable one(s)

1. What is the difference between /dev/sg0, /dev/scd0 /dev/hdd and /dev/cdrom ?

Hi people.

I'm trying to debug a problem that I'm having with my CDROM player and
cdparanoia.  They crash talking to each other.

What is the difference between accessing the cdrom via /dev/sg0,
/dev/scd0, /dev/cdrom and /dev/hdd ?

/dev/cdrom is a link, right ?  It is a hard or soft link ?  How would I
point it to something else ?

cdparanoia needs to access the CDROM via a scsi interface.  In order for
that to work, one needs to turn OFF ATAPI CDROM support in the kernel and
turn on general scsi and CDROM scsi support.

Right now my /dev/cdrom device points to /dev/scd0.  Given that cdparanoia
needs a scsi interface, shouldn't this point to /dev/sg0 ?

Furthermore, grub load the following: hdd=ide-scsi.  That means that the
IDE ATAPI CDROM drive will be accessed using the scsi interface, right ?
Could I not point /dev/cdrom to /dev/hdd ?

Thanks,
Nobody

2. secure deletion tool

3. /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/midi., /dev/sndsta

4. Mouse and CDROM setup problems

5. >/dev/msglog 2<>/dev/msglog </dev/console

6. debian ftp install problems

7. What is the difference between /dev/ttyS3, /dev/cua3, and /dev/ttys3 ?

8. 3rd party memory

9. /dev/fd0 /dev/fd1 /dev/scd0 problems

10. Dev's Dev's Dev's

11. Printtool not seeing my printer on /dev/lp0, /dev/lp1 or /dev/lp2

12. >/dev/msglog 2<>/dev/msglog </dev/console

13. How to decide the number of /dev/cWtXdYsZ under /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk?