Midnight Commander Problems

Post by Davi » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 08:16:37

Could someone please give me some points on installing MC. I am having a
terriable time trying to install it. I tried the package and when i went to
run it with the command "mc" i get not found. Thinking it was not in my path
i searched, and searched, and searched some more but i couldnt even find the
mc executable. All i could find was the server for it, which i have no need
for! so anyways i tried the port and then i got it to install to. Same thing
nothing there.... tried the source but i cant get it to build because of
glib errors. Which i worked on for about two hours and still could not fix.
I know this port and package arent installing incorrectly.  I just have to
be missing something. If anyone could help me out it would be GREATLY
apperciated. Thanks
David

Post by Michael Mauc » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 09:31:12

> Could someone please give me some points on installing MC. I am having
> a terriable time trying to install it. I tried the package and when i
> went to run it with the command "mc" i get not found.

I searched a while for the mc binary, too. But look into the file
"pkg-plist", it says what the port is installing. In the second line
you see:

  bin/midc

Probably there is some name clash with some other tool, so somebody
decided that they want the MC to be called as "midc".

Regards...
                Michael

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 09:08:12

>Could someone please give me some points on installing MC. I am having a
>terriable time trying to install it. I tried the package and when i went to
>run it with the command "mc" i get not found.

Try "midc"

--

Midnight Commander Problems

Post by Mark Asto » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 22:29:04

Quote:> Could someone please give me some points on installing MC. I am having a
> terriable time trying to install it. I tried the package and when i went to
> run it with the command "mc" i get not found. Thinking it was not in my path
> i searched, and searched, and searched some more but i couldnt even find the
> mc executable. All i could find was the server for it, which i have no need
> for! so anyways i tried the port and then i got it to install to. Same thing
> nothing there.... tried the source but i cant get it to build because of
> glib errors. Which i worked on for about two hours and still could not fix.
> I know this port and package arent installing incorrectly.  I just have to
> be missing something. If anyone could help me out it would be GREATLY
> apperciated. Thanks
> David

Midnight Commander is invoked by the command "midc" under BSD not "mc"
as in Linux, build it from the port and it will work fine, if you want
mcedit as well use
$make -DWITH_SLANG && make install

If this post is so late it's redundant blame the BT Internet news-server
not ME!

Midnight Commander Problems

Post by Davi » Mon, 17 Sep 2001 05:39:17

thanks for the help mark,
David

> > Could someone please give me some points on installing MC. I am having a
> > terriable time trying to install it. I tried the package and when i went
> > run it with the command "mc" i get not found. Thinking it was not in my
path
> > i searched, and searched, and searched some more but i couldnt even find
the
> > mc executable. All i could find was the server for it, which i have no
need
> > for! so anyways i tried the port and then i got it to install to. Same
thing
> > nothing there.... tried the source but i cant get it to build because of
> > glib errors. Which i worked on for about two hours and still could not
fix.
> > I know this port and package arent installing incorrectly.  I just have
> > be missing something. If anyone could help me out it would be GREATLY
> > apperciated. Thanks
> > David

> Midnight Commander is invoked by the command "midc" under BSD not "mc"
> as in Linux, build it from the port and it will work fine, if you want
> mcedit as well use
> $make -DWITH_SLANG && make install

> --
> If this post is so late it's redundant blame the BT Internet news-server
> not ME!

1. Midnight Commander problem when telneting to shell

Hello:

I asked the following question on linux related groups but no answer
yet... Can anybody in this groups help?

Thanks,

Sam

-----------
I telnet to my Linux from my Windows machine.

When I activate MC through the telnet window, everything looks almost
the same as being on the actual Linux computer.

However, the F keys do not function properly:

F10 acts like F9
F9 like F8

etc...

Is it the telnet client (QVT 4.2d) settings? Terminal emulation
choice? I played around with them without much success.

Thanks!

Sam

2. 2 LANs via PPP servers possible?

3. MidNight Commander Problems

4. SHIFT + "0" in command mode

5. Midnight commander problem.

6. Additional hard drive install

7. Midnight Commander problem

8. gnu cc

9. Midnight Commander 1.0 (was Mouseless Commander)

10. Problems with Midnight Commander

11. Problems with midnight commander

12. Midnight Commander file permissions problem

13. problem with midnight commander