FreeBSD Slow /bin/ls with FtpExplorer

Post by Jim Week » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone else has run into this.  One of my clients pointed
out that FtpExplorer, a free win95 ftp client downloadable at
http://www.ftpx.com/, has an extremely slow ls when connecting to FreeBSD.
Indeed one could grow old waiting for an updated tree after uploading a
file.  It doesn't do this when connecting to linux, or sun boxes, and I
haven't experienced any such performance problems with FreeBSD and any other
ftp client software.

Curious,

Jim

Post by Chris Costell » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Hi all,
> Just wondered if anyone else has run into this.  One of my clients pointed
> out that FtpExplorer, a free win95 ftp client downloadable at
> http://www.ftpx.com/, has an extremely slow ls when connecting to FreeBSD.
> Indeed one could grow old waiting for an updated tree after uploading a
> file.  It doesn't do this when connecting to linux, or sun boxes, and I
> haven't experienced any such performance problems with FreeBSD and any other
> ftp client software.

   From a system in California I am logged into via ssh, I can
FTP back to this (my) system in Houston, which is on a 128k
up/1.5 Mbit down link, and get a list in about 1-2 seconds using
the standard FTP.

FreeBSD Slow /bin/ls with FtpExplorer

Post by Jim Week » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Let me make a correction to the previous post.  FtpExplorer is shareware.

As to this being a FreeBSD problem, I don't think so.  But it is curious to
note that FtpExplorer doesn't give this problem with other Unix variants.
It is also important to note that WsFtp and all others that I know about
work fine with FreeBSD.