Porting crypted passwords Sun OS -> FreeBSD 2.2.5

Porting crypted passwords Sun OS -> FreeBSD 2.2.5

Post by Joseph M. Scot » Tue, 11 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I have found myself in an interesting situation.  The end result of
which is an effort to migrate encrypted passwords from a SunOS 4.1.3_U1
box to a FreeBSD 2.2.5 box.  I tried the token vain attempt of cut and
paste from one password file to another.  That didn't work.
        So here I am.  I'm afraid I don't have the depth in this category to
come up with a simple answer.  Any info or things to try would be
helpful.  In the meantime I will continue to dig through the FreeBSD
site. :-)

        Thanks....

Joseph Scott

Post by Timothy J. L » Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:00:00

|I have found myself in an interesting situation.  The end result of
|which is an effort to migrate encrypted passwords from a SunOS 4.1.3_U1
|box to a FreeBSD 2.2.5 box.  I tried the token vain attempt of cut and
|paste from one password file to another.  That didn't work.

1.  Are both systems using the same password hashing mechanism?  If,
for example, one is using DES and the other is using MD5, it won't work.

2.  Did you use vipw to edit the passwd file?

Porting crypted passwords Sun OS -> FreeBSD 2.2.5

Post by Another Victim of the Usenet Mafi » Thu, 13 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> I have found myself in an interesting situation.  The end result of
> which is an effort to migrate encrypted passwords from a SunOS 4.1.3_U1
> box to a FreeBSD 2.2.5 box.  I tried the token vain attempt of cut and
> paste from one password file to another.  That didn't work.

    I've been able to do this with passwords from a Linux box to FreeBSD,
although it's a bit of a hack.  I needed to cut and paste from the Linux
/etc/passwd to a copy of your FreeBSD /etc/passwd, and then from this
rebuild the FreeBSD passwd database, as the format of the master.passwd
and the password database is different from the simple /etc/passwd.

    See the man page for pwd_mkdb, and make sure you have multiple backup
copies of all files that will be affected and from which you work, as this
command wipes out its input each time it creates one output file, or at
least that's how it was for me.  I'm no expert...

Barry Bouwsma
don't blame me for your accidents, please

Post by J Wuns » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Of course, don't forget to use vipw. You'll have to convert the
> old MD5 password strings somehow, running passwd for those accounts
> as root should work tho that might not be the best way to do it.

You don't have.  The crypt(3) function of the DES suite knows about
both, DES- and MD5-encrypted password hashes, so you can mix them (and
you probably should, because MD5-based hashing is supposed to be
stronger).

--
cheers, J"org

1. >>>Sun O.S. 4.1.3 U1 Questions<<<

I recently acquired a SparcStation 20 loaded with
Solaris 1.1.1 Ver B (SunOS 4.1.3) and am having
great difficulty getting some of the commands to work.

I have root privileges but am still unable to execute some
of the basic programs like 'openwindows'.

SunView works fine and brings up a very basic window with
a clock, test editor and mail box, but when I try to use the
openwin command I am told I "permission denied" even though
I am root.  Is Sunview actually openwin?   It sure doesn't have some of
the features I see described in various manuals but it opens as expected.

Is there some simple command I can use to chmod or chown all
of the files on the system so they are executable by root?   This
box was formerly on a network so I suspect that there may have
been some SUID or SUIG conflict.   Root is shown as the owner when
I do a ls -l on the usr files but in that particular directory (eg.  /usr )
almost
all of the files deny me permission.

Cordially,
Gil Groehn

2. viewing the whole Card database for xf86config

3. Reusable passwords (was: Re: password hasher (crypt()) replacement)

4. Solaris /etc/system file

5. Porting guides for Sun->AIX->HPUX?

6. DNS Crisis

7. Printing PostScript: Win95 -> FreeBSD -> Samba -> GS -> HP LJIII

8. looking for a utility on AIX to generate auto-extractible files for windows ?

9. NIS Shadow Passwords w/o C2 under Sun OS 4.1.X [Long]

10. <<<A XXX Password>>>

11. scoadmin -> Account Manager -> Users -> Add New Users breaks /etc/password symlink

12. hard disk problems: SUN OS <-> Solaris

13. <defunct> processes on Sun OS 4.1.3