mkfs problen on 4.4

Post by Gregor Jasn » Tue, 09 Oct 2001 06:27:25

Hi!

Today I tried to install FreeBSD 4.4 on my Computer.
During the mkfs of the 20GB /usr partition mkfs died
with the error: "virtual timer expired".

The MD5's of the imgages are OK nad installing 4.3
is no Problem.

Any hints?

Regards,

-G. Jasny

mkfs problen on 4.4

Post by mic.. » Tue, 09 Oct 2001 16:29:39

> Hi!
> Today I tried to install FreeBSD 4.4 on my Computer.
> During the mkfs of the 20GB /usr partition mkfs died
> with the error: "virtual timer expired".

This is due to a bug in 4.4 RELEASE, the stack overwrites part
of the info of a process. Try to download a STABLE floppy
and to install from that.

Quote:> The MD5's of the imgages are OK nad installing 4.3

--
Michel Talon

mkfs problen on 4.4

Post by Gregor Jasn » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 01:58:11

>> Today I tried to install FreeBSD 4.4 on my Computer.
>> During the mkfs of the 20GB /usr partition mkfs died
>> with the error: "virtual timer expired".
> This is due to a bug in 4.4 RELEASE, the stack overwrites part
> of the info of a process. Try to download a STABLE floppy
> and to install from that.

With the floppies of 4.3 everything works fine (just the version
warnig appears).
The newest 4.4er floppies I can found are from Sep/18/2001 21:25.

Are there any newer ones?

Is the bug listed anywhere, so that i can track it?

-Gregor

1. FreeBSD 4.4 and Soudblaster Live! = No Sound

I'm having issues getting my Sound Blaster Live! to produce any sound
whatsoever in FreeBSD 4.4.  I've followed the directions indicated in the
freebsd.org handbook by recompiling the kernel with the 'device    pcm' line
that's supposed to be included in the kernel conf file.  After issuing a
'dmesg | grep pcm', I can see that the Soundblaster is successfully detected
on pcm0.  I've created the device nodes in /dev with the command 'sh MAKEDEV
snd0'.  Yet, when I start Gnome, I cannot get any sound from any mp3
applications or with Gnome's internal 'sound events'.  (And I do have the
mixer turned all the way up.)

Any ideas as what else to try?

2. COLA FAQ 6 of 7 23-Nov-2002

3. Kerberos support in NFS for FreeBSD 4.4?

4. Slackware202 does not boot

5. Gnome 1.4 meta-port on 4.4-Release

6. CVS pserver in xinet ?

7. installing a new HDD[NEWBIE]{FreeBSD 4.4}

8. Super BSD Box

9. Seyon and libc4.4.4

10. Can only run Java as root on 4.4?

11. Possible error in 4.4 installer