Bad block in /var,fsck fails.

Post by Greg Tupp » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I have a bad block in my /var directory.  Each time I run fsck I get,

# fsck /var
** /dev/rwd0s3f
** Last Mounted on /var
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes

CANNOT READ: BLK 64
CONTINUE? [yn] y

THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 96,
** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK
SALVAGE? [yn] y

CLEAN FLAG NOT SET IN SUPERBLOCK
FIX? [yn] y

245 files, 1418 used, 47813 free (109 frags, 5963 blocks, 0.2% fragmentation)

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

I am still able to use the disk, but each time I boot I have problems.
I would like to map the bad block out and do not know how.  Is there
a utility the will do this?

Greg Tupper

Bad block in /var,fsck fails.

Post by J Wuns » Sun, 19 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I am still able to use the disk, but each time I boot I have problems.
> I would like to map the bad block out and do not know how.  Is there
> a utility the will do this?

Option #1 (preferrable): throw the disk into the bit-bucket,
Option #2:               bother to see whether you could get ancient
                         bad144(8) working with it,
Option #3:               badsect(8) (probably worthless since your bad
                         block is inside the metadata region of the
                         filesystem).

--
cheers, J"org

1. help pls - fsck fail on boot; fixed, fsck still fails on boot

With the file system check during boot, get a report:
   *** An error occurred during the file system check
   ***   (blah, blah...)

From the shell, ran e2fsck -f on all Linux partitions.
The root partition had a couple of problems which fsck
supposedly fixed. (No critical files were affected, it
seems.  Interestingly, the affected files were ones I
had copied over from a DOS partition using automatic
CRLF-LF conversion.)  Rebooted, but got the same error
as before.  Reran e2fsck -f on all Linux partitions
again, all were reported as OK.  I only checked the
ext2 partitions, although there are a few non-Linux
partitions (FAT, HPFS, etc.); I assume fsck ignores
those, so even if they had a problem (I don't think
they do) that wouldn't seem to be an issue.

What is going on here?  I assume it is e2fsck that is
detecting the problem and returning an error code during
boot, so why doesn't it identify a problem when I run it
from the shell?  More urgently, how can I repair the
problem so I can boot Linux again?

(Yes, in case anyone is wondering, I ALWAYS do a normal
shutdown.  I am well aware how disastrous it can be to
power off the machine without shutting down first.)

Any help on this will be GREATLY appreciated, since a
reformat/reinstall does not especially appeal to me...

Regards,
Marty

2. MODEM Setup --- Please Help!

3. Finding out if there are bad blocks in the bad blocks list

4. mount partion from solaris 9 on sunOs

5. How do you add a bad block to e2fs bad block list?

6. NIT under SunOS 5.1

7. Bad Blocks on IDE drive, fsck doesn't fix it

8. ATI 3D Expression+

9. How can I fsck a HD with bad super block

10. Bad block ,restore , fsck ...

11. Bad Disk Blocks with fsck???

12. Bad Blocks at fsck on an ext2

13. fsck won't run-Vol Mgr 2.6-Bad Super Blocks!