Does FreeBSD support DVD-ROM, and/or DVD-RAM?

Does FreeBSD support DVD-ROM, and/or DVD-RAM?

Post by Larry A. Smit » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

3-Mar-99 (2:50 AM)

I have to replace my PCs internal CD-ROM drive.  My hard disk drives are
SCSI-2 based.

I'm considering replacing it with either a SCSI 40X CD-ROM drive, or some type
of DVD drive (preferably SCSI-based).

Searching the FreeBSD web site yielded no notable mentions for DVD support,
only support for CD-ROM, CD-RW, etc.  The FreeBSD Mall (
http://www.freebsdmall.com/products/ ) mentions they are considering the sale
of FreeBSD on DVD (as opposed to four CD-ROMs).

Does FreeBSD support DVD-ROM drives (IDE and/or SCSI)?

Does FreeBSD support DVD-RAM drives (IDE and/or SCSI)?

Does FreeBSD support any of the DVD MPEG-2 decoder cards?

If so, what brands/models of DVD drives and decoder cards are supported, and
where do I find the drivers for them?  I didn't find anything in the Handbook,
Applications, or Ports - did I miss them?

If not, when does the FreeBSD team anticipate having the drivers in place
(e.g. version 3.2)?

Thanks in advance,
Larry Alan Smith
Beaverton, OR, USA

1. Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

Hi

Does anyone have any idea when/if Sun will support DVD device
drivers in Solaris ?

Does anyone know when the UDF file system will be supported ?

Not just UDF read, but random write to DVD-RAM and variable length
packet and border zone multi-session write to DVD-R.

We had heard rumors that some support would be in Solaris 8, but it
seems difficult to find confirmation of this on Sun's web
sites.

Failing this, does anyone have any experience with 3rd party drivers
like those from Tracer ?

david
--

Director, Medical Imaging Technologies   http://idt.net/~dclunie/
Quintiles Intelligent Imaging             http://www.i2image.com/

2. Netscape Messenger sharing for Win 98 and RH 7.1 Linux

3. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

4. Help booting from CDROM

5. Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM on Sun?

6. SMC EtherEZ 8416

7. hitachi dvd camcorder and panasonic mini dvd-ram disk

8. Are there any midi to wav converters???

9. Howto burn DVD-RAM and DVD-R

10. DVD-RAM or DVD-R on Linux?

11. LG 8160b dvd-rom will not read dvd

12. Backups via DVD-Ram, ever done it?

13. Need help diagnosing poorly performance of IDE DVD-RAM/R/ROM