4.5-STABLE locking-up repeatedly

Post by David Rayne » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:56:58

Okay, it seems my box is having serious issues this week.  I am honestly at
a loss as to what to do now.  I am attempting to downgrade to 4.4-RELEASE
(which my 486 with 8mb ram has been running for 60+ days), but *EVERY* time
I run CVSup (or just about any network+hd-intensive app), my box locks up
tight a few minutes into it.

I've pulled PCI cards, RAM, changed video cards, disabled on-board sound,
and anything else I can think of.

But, every time I run one of those apps, sooner or later, the machine locks
up and the hard drive light goes solid.

What else can I do?

--

http://www.arrakis.homeip.net
I am just a figment of my own imagination.

4.5-STABLE locking-up repeatedly

Post by Merli » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:02:16

What sort of mumboard are you using?
I had much the same with 4.5 on and off for ages. I never did find out what
caused it. I'm using it on an ASUS mumboard, PIII, 1Gb. 512Mb RAM. I've
cvsupped it a few times including two days ago.
It's stopped locking up a while back, but now instead - at very random
times - shuts down. Nice and clean, something is issuing the shutdown
command, but there it is. It shuts down. Usually at some ungodly hour in the
early am, and I wander out in the morning - and yup. press any key to
reboot.

Yet on an old 120 Pentium, with about 97Mb RAM - Version 5.0 is running rock
solid. Never shuts down, never fails, no worries at all.

Now - I can't imagine what it is, but here's a clue - if anyone is
interested.

1) I was running X11-4.0 on it. At random time. Pure lockup. Just like
yours. NOTHING but a reset button job would start it. I disabled X11 so
nothing uses it now - and the lockup problems have gone away.
2) I was running BIND-8.3 on it. Got no warnings or errors from it, but
while using that in place - shutdown problems. I upgraded to BIND-9.2, and
now it doesn't shutdown any more. Well touch wood, not since I upgraded to
BIND-9.2, however BIND-9.2 reports that it's running out of resources when
there are lots of connections....

Could it be that there is a REAL sneaky bad memory problem in 4.5 ?????

But of course we'll never know, because the usual answer to these probelms
is from the book. "You must have something configured wrong". Yea, right.

If you ever find a solution - let me know :-)

cheers
Robert

> Okay, it seems my box is having serious issues this week.  I am honestly
at
> a loss as to what to do now.  I am attempting to downgrade to 4.4-RELEASE
> (which my 486 with 8mb ram has been running for 60+ days), but *EVERY*
time
> I run CVSup (or just about any network+hd-intensive app), my box locks up
> tight a few minutes into it.

> I've pulled PCI cards, RAM, changed video cards, disabled on-board sound,
> and anything else I can think of.

> But, every time I run one of those apps, sooner or later, the machine
locks
> up and the hard drive light goes solid.

> What else can I do?

> --

> http://www.arrakis.homeip.net
> I am just a figment of my own imagination.

4.5-STABLE locking-up repeatedly

Post by mat » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:10:33

I am having a simliar problem.  I just did a clean install of FreeBSD
4.5 on a new Dell PowerEdge 350 rack-mount server and it locks up
after 1-5 minutes of sitting idle.

> Okay, it seems my box is having serious issues this week.  I am honestly at
> a loss as to what to do now.  I am attempting to downgrade to 4.4-RELEASE
> (which my 486 with 8mb ram has been running for 60+ days), but *EVERY* time
> I run CVSup (or just about any network+hd-intensive app), my box locks up
> tight a few minutes into it.

> I've pulled PCI cards, RAM, changed video cards, disabled on-board sound,
> and anything else I can think of.

> But, every time I run one of those apps, sooner or later, the machine locks
> up and the hard drive light goes solid.

> What else can I do?

4.5-STABLE locking-up repeatedly

Post by NOS.. » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 23:15:09

[snip]

Quote:

> Could it be that there is a REAL sneaky bad memory problem in 4.5 ?????

> But of course we'll never know, because the usual answer to these probelms
> is from the book. "You must have something configured wrong". Yea, right.

FreeBSD has no recorse when it runs out of resources.  It DOESN'T call
shutdown.  If it runs out of memory, it's just going to panic and
reboot.

I'm not suggesting you have something configured wrong(ok, I'm going to
suggest something, but it's a stab in the dark).  Do you have APM turned
on in BIOS?  Turn it off.

Why do you think it's a big memory problem?  Present some evidence and I
imagine you'll get more positive response.

-parc

Post by Nick Hilliar » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 23:40:05

> FreeBSD has no recorse when it runs out of resources.  It DOESN'T call
> shutdown.  If it runs out of memory, it's just going to panic and
> reboot.

???

Have you ever looked at what happens in practice?  FreeBSD nukes large
processes, whinges about lack of swap space, and continues on rolling.  It
doesn't panic or reboot. You're thinking about linux here, not FreeBSD.

Nick

4.5-STABLE locking-up repeatedly

Post by ta.. » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 23:51:15

: [snip]
:>
:> Could it be that there is a REAL sneaky bad memory problem in 4.5 ?????
:>
:> But of course we'll never know, because the usual answer to these probelms
:> is from the book. "You must have something configured wrong". Yea, right.
:>

: FreeBSD has no recorse when it runs out of resources.  It DOESN'T call
: shutdown.  If it runs out of memory, it's just going to panic and
: reboot.

Are you sure of that? I have never observed this behavior, and instead i
thought the kernel killed some process. Not only i thought, but i have seen it
recently with a Maple computation which grew out of bonds and was killed
by the kernel. And i relaunched the computation several times, and it was
reliably killed by the kernel after exhaustion of swap space. No other process
was killed. So not only is there a solution in place to address memory
exhaustion, it moreover works, contrary to the Linux OO killer wich
has the bad habit of killing some useful process instead of the pig.

--

Michel TALON

4.5-STABLE locking-up repeatedly

Post by s.. » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 00:31:20

Quote:

> Why do you think it's a big memory problem?  Present some evidence and I
> imagine you'll get more positive response.

> -parc

I've had 3 or 4 vi sessions blow out on a resource error.  I'm using SMP
on a dual 333 board runnning XFree/Gnome on a 3dfx VooDoo 5500 AGP
videocard.  This problem is manifesting itself merely as a vi session
crash, and the vi -r recovery does seem to work.  No panics.

I've seen mozilla blow out a couple of times as well.  Don't know if its
related or not.

Copyright (c) 1992-2002 The FreeBSD Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
        The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD 4.5-20020301-STABLE #0: Mon Mar  4 11:07:05 EST 2002

Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
CPU: Pentium II/Pentium II Xeon/Celeron (334.09-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x651  Stepping = 1
  Features=0x183fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR>
real memory  = 201326592 (196608K bytes)
avail memory = 190951424 (186476K bytes)
Programming 24 pins in IOAPIC #0
IOAPIC #0 intpin 2 -> irq 0
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor motherboard
 cpu0 (BSP): apic id:  0, version: 0x00040011, at 0xfee00000
 cpu1 (AP):  apic id:  1, version: 0x00040011, at 0xfee00000
 io0 (APIC): apic id:  2, version: 0x00170011, at 0xfec00000
Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xc04b2000.
Pentium Pro MTRR support enabled
md0: Malloc disk
Using $PIR table, 8 entries at 0xc00fda20
npx0: <math processor> on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
pcib0: <Intel 82443BX (440 BX) host to PCI bridge> on motherboard
IOAPIC #0 intpin 18 -> irq 2
pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
pcib1: <Intel 82443BX (440 BX) PCI-PCI (AGP) bridge> at device 1.0 on pci0
pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib1
pci1: <3Dfx model 0009 graphics accelerator> at 0.0
isab0: <Intel 82371AB PCI to ISA bridge> at device 7.0 on pci0
isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
atapci0: <Intel PIIX4 ATA33 controller> port 0xf000-0xf00f at device 7.1 on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0xe000-0xe01f irq 11 at device 7.2 on pci0
usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
Timecounter "PIIX"  frequency 3579545 Hz
chip1: <Intel 82371AB Power management controller> port 0x5000-0x500f at device 7.3 on pci0
ahc0: <Adaptec aic7880 Ultra SCSI adapter> port 0xe400-0xe4ff mem 0xf5000000-0xf5000fff irq 2 at device 8.0 on pci0
aic7880: Ultra Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
orm0: <Option ROMs> at iomem 0xc0000-0xc7fff,0xc8000-0xcc7ff on isa0
fdc0: <NEC 72065B or clone> at port 0x3f0-0x3f5,0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa0
fdc0: FIFO enabled, 8 bytes threshold
fd0: <1440-KB 3.5" drive> on fdc0 drive 0
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> flags 0x1 irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbd0 at atkbd0
psm0: failed to get data.
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0
vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
sc0: <System console> at flags 0x100 on isa0
sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x300>
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
sio1: type 16550A
ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
ed1: <D-Link DE-220P PnP ISA Card> at port 0x240-0x25f irq 5 on isa0
ed1: address 00:50:ba:a0:c5:ec, type NE2000 (16 bit)
APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
APIC_IO: routing 8254 via IOAPIC #0 intpin 2
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
ata0-slave: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
ata0-slave: identify failed
acd0: CDROM <CRD-8400C> at ata0-master using PIO4
Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <SEAGATE ST34520N 1498> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da0: 4340MB (8888924 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 553C)
da1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 2 lun 0
da1: <CONNER CFP1080S 4040> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da1: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da1: 1030MB (2110812 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 131C)

Post by NOS.. » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 13:35:11

>> FreeBSD has no recorse when it runs out of resources.  It DOESN'T call
>> shutdown.  If it runs out of memory, it's just going to panic and
>> reboot.

> ???

> Have you ever looked at what happens in practice?  FreeBSD nukes large
> processes, whinges about lack of swap space, and continues on rolling.  It
> doesn't panic or reboot. You're thinking about linux here, not FreeBSD.

> Nick

My statement was admittadly unclear.  What I should have said was this:
If FreeBSD was to suddenly encounter a problem that would require it to
reboot, it would not merely shutdown cleanly.  It would panic and leave
information all over the place as to why it did so.

The post was implying that FreeBSD has a memory leak in the kernel and
that was causing it to invoke shutdown.  I intended to point out that
the kernel wouldn't do any such thing, and has no clue what the 'shutdown'
command is.

-parc

Post by ta.. » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 19:07:45

: My statement was admittadly unclear.  What I should have said was this:
: If FreeBSD was to suddenly encounter a problem that would require it to
: reboot, it would not merely shutdown cleanly.  It would panic and leave
: information all over the place as to why it did so.

In fact this is a feature and not a bug. Here is the idea: if the kernel
detects an internal inconsistency it is better to do nothing and panic
than trying to do an orderly shutdown. Why? the kernel could trash much more
than already trashed for example flushing the disk buffers and unmounting the
disks, and so on, because he no longer knows that he has accurate vision
of all those buffers. By panicing immediately he knows he has not written
anything potentially crappy to stable storage. On the other hand to
provide debugging capabilities he will copy the whole memory to the swap area
where it can do no harm and where it can be recovered after reboot.

--

Michel TALON

1. Upgrading 4.5 Release to 4.5 STABLE

Hi,

I have upgraded my firewall  using ipfilter with ipnat capablity.
Buildworld process went through smoothly.   But when booting with the
upgraded kernel, booting hangs at the "Local package initialization" ..but
if I hit CTRL-C, it will finish booting and let me log in, without user
intervention, it hangs.

The good part is the firewall allows traffic going in and out, does anyone
know how to get around this problem?

Thanks so much in advance.

Dan

2. Q.: How to install Metamail for Hypermail on Linux+Sendmail?

3. (no subject)

4. FBSD 3.1 Stable and Netscape Comm 4.5 Problem

5. inetd died

6. UPS-2.4.5

7. kernel 1.1.45++

8. zebra and FreeBSD 4.5-stable

9. FreeBSD 4.5-Stable

10. Network hang in 4.5 stable

11. FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE i18n issues

12. Sensible keymap for emacs (4.5-STABLE)