Please help! Hangs on boot!

Post by Newbi » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 14:47:57

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 4.2 Stable on a NEC Powermate Enterprise. It
hangs on boot (early).

If install with a dangerously dedicated disk, I get a read error. So I wipe
out the MBR and try normal. Noticing that the geomery is wrong for the
Seagate ST33221A, I check the BIOS. 6253/16/63 3227MB. When I try to change
the geometry in the install I only get 3077MB (or so). Could this be the
problem? Is there a solution? Help!! Arrgh!

"But Mom! I don't wanna use Linux!"

Please help! Hangs on boot!

Post by Lowell Gilber » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 23:02:29

> If install with a dangerously dedicated disk, I get a read error. So I wipe
> out the MBR and try normal. Noticing that the geomery is wrong for the
> Seagate ST33221A, I check the BIOS. 6253/16/63 3227MB. When I try to change
> the geometry in the install I only get 3077MB (or so). Could this be the
> problem? Is there a solution? Help!! Arrgh!

Those numbers are almost exactly what you'd expect if the BIOS were
counting a megabyte as a million bytes, while FreeBSD counts it as
2^20 bytes.  So, offhand, that doesn't sound like a problem in itself.

If it's still locking up at boot under those conditions (sorry, but I
can't tell from what you wrote whether that's the case), try putting a
small DOS (or Windows, or what have you; there are free OSs that will
do for this purpose if necessary) partition ("slice," to BSD) at the
front of the disk.

Also, please use replyable addresses if you want responses.

1. Booting process hangs !!! Please help

Hello,

Thanks for reading my question.

My solaris 2.6 machine got a power failure last night and went down.
I reboot it using the command "boot disk0"
The booting process halts after this message:
"Setting default interface for multicast: add net 224.0.0.: gateway pippin"

I expected to see the following message which did not come up:
"syslog service staring"

So I guess the system log deamon can not be started.

What would be possible reasons? What should I check ?

I have tried the several possibe rebooting scenarios pointed out by
docs.sun.com/System Admin Guide, but none seems to help.

Thanks again

Minh Pham

2. booting up

3. Hang during boot... please help?

4. ml for Linux???

5. Uanble to boot with LINUX boot disk - new user - help help help, PLEASE !!

6. PB : netatalk & linux

7. System hangs on booting Linux . Please HELP

8. IP Masqerading and JDK on a 386?

9. SCSI card hangs boot - please help!

10. Uanble to boot with LINUX boot disk - new user - help help help, PLEASE !!

11. Help please Samba hangs boot up

12. Netscape Communicator just hangs...and hangs...please help.

13. my box hangs on boot - Read please !