Can't use pine with telnet.

Post by Jim Week » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I am in a situation where I have to use a windows box to telnet my server.
I am using pine 3.96 and am unable to use it through telnet.  I know I have
done this before, but don't remember if it was an older version of pine.
Any ideas!

           Jim Weeks

http://www.siteplus.com

Can't use pine with telnet.

Post by Thomas T. Veldhous » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Perhaps you need to setup your terminal?  If so, try set term=vt100.  This
will probably only work for tcsh or csh.  Then try to start pine normally.

Tom Veldhouse

>Hi,

>I am in a situation where I have to use a windows box to telnet my server.
>I am using pine 3.96 and am unable to use it through telnet.  I know I have
>done this before, but don't remember if it was an older version of pine.
>Any ideas!

>Thanks,
>--
>           Jim Weeks

>http://www.siteplus.com

Can't use pine with telnet.

Post by Stephen Montgomery-Smit » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Perhaps you need to setup your terminal?  If so, try set term=vt100.  This
> will probably only work for tcsh or csh.  Then try to start pine normally.

You might also need setenv TERM vt100 or something like that.

--

University of Missouri-Columbia
Columbia, MO 65211

Phone (573) 882 4540
Fax   (573) 882 1869

http://math.missouri.edu/~stephen

Can't use pine with telnet.

Post by Jim Week » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for the input.  I had already tried changing the terminal type from
the command line, but changing it in my profile did the trick.
--
           Jim Weeks

http://www.siteplus.com

Can't use pine with telnet.

Post by Jim Week » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Changing the terminal type in the log in profile has messed things up when I
actually log in on the Unix machine.  Now it works fine from telnet.  Is
there a way to have both worlds?
--
           Jim Weeks

http://www.siteplus.com

Can't use pine with telnet.

Post by Conrad Sabati » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Changing the terminal type in the log in profile has messed things up when I
>actually log in on the Unix machine.  Now it works fine from telnet.  Is
>there a way to have both worlds?

You might try something like this:

if who am i | grep ttyp         #remote login?
then
TERM=vt100
else
TERM=cons25                     #local login
fi
--
Conrad Sabatier

Can't use pine with telnet.

Post by Jim Week » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:Mark Cammidge writes:

I presume you're doing this using the Windows Telnet program.  If so, the
following will (should) sort out your problem:
Start telnet.
Select 'Connect->Remote System'
In the dialog box that pops up, set up the remote machine,
and more importantly, set up the terminal type to vt100 and not ANSI.
Then log in as usual.  The default is ANSI.
Take out the terminal type setup in your profile.
-----------------
Thanks Mark,

This works perfectly.  I see now that opening the telnet session for the
first time by using the command (telnet "remote machine") began the session
with defaults, which would be ANSI.  Going through the process of setting up
the remote machine solves the problem.  Another window quirk!
--
           Jim Weeks

http://www.siteplus.com

Can't use pine with telnet.

Post by t.. » Mon, 16 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>I am in a situation where I have to use a windows box to telnet my server.
>I am using pine 3.96 and am unable to use it through telnet.  I know I have
>done this before, but don't remember if it was an older version of pine.
>Any ideas!

Set your TERM environmental variable to "vt100" then in Winblows Telnet
check the box that allows the emulation to use the arrow keys. (not Windows)

1. Pine 3.95 and pine.conf/pine.conf.fixed

Hello all,

Just a quick question for today.  I recently installed q-mail on my
system to replace sendmail.  One of the things required by this install
is moving the mail folders to the users directories.  System is FreeBSD
2.1.5-Release, Pine is version 3.95.

I would like to set up Pine to default to a file (Mailbox) in the user's
home directory.  I know I need to set inbox-path=Mailbox but for some
reason Pine seems to ignore it's system wide configuration file.  If you
specify the system wide file, it works fine.

I've got pine.conf in /usr/local/lib/ as specified as the default
location for the global config file in the man pages....  Where'd I go
wrong?

Thanks for any pointers!!

-Dave

PS: An e-mailed reply in addition to a follow up post is greatly
appreciated as my news feed isn't all that great ;)

--
~|~|_  _   |  _  _ _|   _  |`  /~`|_  _  _  _
 | | |(/_  |_(_)| (_|  (_)~|~  \_,| |(_((_)_\
Ever been to the Realm of Chaos? Check it out!!

2. DESCRIZIONE INSTALLAZIONE LINUXPPC R5 1999

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. Walnut Creek 1.0.9/W.D. 31000 1GB Drive

5. I was hacked, invisble directory .fz and cron script botck

6. Problem making lock files using PINE and UoW's imapd!!!

7. How to Make a Linux Partition being Shown in osX?

8. outlook can't send to qmail using pine

9. Can't telnet at my client machine using NIS(YP)

10. TTY's using telnet

11. User's Timing out while using Telnet

12. 'ping' sees route but 'telnet' doesn't??