Missing X man pages.

Post by llewell » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:25:40

I've discovered I have no man page for X(7), and no man page for the
    ati(4) video driver. Curiously, I have a man page for the
    trident(4) video driver, though there isn't a trident in my
    laptop, and if I owned a trident I'd probably break it up and
    throw it away for fear that some innocent soul might put it in a
    machine and get hurt.

For now, X seems to work fine without those man pages, but experience
    tells me I'll want them. (In fact I did want them when I was
    trying to get x configured, but I got it working without them.)

    $ uname -a
    FreeBSD Zorthluthik.local.bar 5.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE #0:
    Thu Jan 16 22:16:53 GMT 2003

    $ man X
    No manual entry for X
    $ man 7 X
    No entry for X in section 7 of the manual
    $ man ati
    No manual entry for ati
    $ man 4 ati
    No entry for ati in section 4 of the manual

Missing X man pages.

Post by Stephen Montgomery-Smit » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:30:32

> I've discovered I have no man page for X(7), and no man page for the
>     ati(4) video driver. Curiously, I have a man page for the
>     trident(4) video driver, though there isn't a trident in my
>     laptop, and if I owned a trident I'd probably break it up and
>     throw it away for fear that some innocent soul might put it in a
>     machine and get hurt.

> For now, X seems to work fine without those man pages, but experience
>     tells me I'll want them. (In fact I did want them when I was
>     trying to get x configured, but I got it working without them.)

>     $ uname -a
>     FreeBSD Zorthluthik.local.bar 5.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE #0:
>     Thu Jan 16 22:16:53 GMT 2003

>     $ man X
>     No manual entry for X
>     $ man 7 X
>     No entry for X in section 7 of the manual
>     $ man ati
>     No manual entry for ati
>     $ man 4 ati
>     No entry for ati in section 4 of the manual

Install the x11/XFree86-4-manuals port (it is not installed as a dependency of
the XFree86-4 port).  This will at least get you X, if not ati.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith

http://www.math.missouri.edu/~stephen

Missing X man pages.

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:39:26

>> I've discovered I have no man page for X(7), and no man page for the
>>     ati(4) video driver. Curiously, I have a man page for the
>>     trident(4) video driver, though there isn't a trident in my
>>     laptop, and if I owned a trident I'd probably break it up and
>>     throw it away for fear that some innocent soul might put it in a
>>     machine and get hurt.

>> For now, X seems to work fine without those man pages, but experience
>>     tells me I'll want them. (In fact I did want them when I was
>>     trying to get x configured, but I got it working without them.)

>>     $ uname -a
>>     FreeBSD Zorthluthik.local.bar 5.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE #0:
>>     Thu Jan 16 22:16:53 GMT 2003

>>     $ man X
>>     No manual entry for X
>>     $ man 7 X
>>     No entry for X in section 7 of the manual
>>     $ man ati
>>     No manual entry for ati
>>     $ man 4 ati
>>     No entry for ati in section 4 of the manual

> Install the x11/XFree86-4-manuals port (it is not installed as a dependency of
> the XFree86-4 port).  This will at least get you X, if not ati.

Or, first, ensure that /usr/X11R6/man is in the MANPATH.

Missing X man pages.

Post by llewell » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:32:42

>> I've discovered I have no man page for X(7), and no man page for the
>>     ati(4) video driver. Curiously, I have a man page for the
>>     trident(4) video driver, though there isn't a trident in my
>>     laptop, and if I owned a trident I'd probably break it up and
>>     throw it away for fear that some innocent soul might put it in a
>>     machine and get hurt.
>> For now, X seems to work fine without those man pages, but
>> experience     tells me I'll want them. (In fact I did want them
>> when I was
>>     trying to get x configured, but I got it working without them.)
>>     $ uname -a
>>     FreeBSD Zorthluthik.local.bar 5.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE #0:
>>     Thu Jan 16 22:16:53 GMT 2003

>>     $ man X
>>     No manual entry for X
>>     $ man 7 X
>>     No entry for X in section 7 of the manual
>>     $ man ati
>>     No manual entry for ati
>>     $ man 4 ati
>>     No entry for ati in section 4 of the manual

> Install the x11/XFree86-4-manuals port (it is not installed as a
> dependency of the XFree86-4 port).  This will at least get you X, if
> not ati.

Thank you. Installing as I write this. Looking at the list of files,
    it will supply X, and a lot of gl, X, and Xt manpages I'll
    need. :-) But no ati. :-(

Install just finished. (I write slow. :-) X and gl man pages work
    great. Still no ati manpage. I'll poke around in the other
    XFree86-4 pkgs, but I don't really expect to find anything.

Missing X man pages.

Post by llewell » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:36:10

>>> I've discovered I have no man page for X(7), and no man page for the
>>>     ati(4) video driver. Curiously, I have a man page for the
>>>     trident(4) video driver, though there isn't a trident in my
>>>     laptop, and if I owned a trident I'd probably break it up and
>>>     throw it away for fear that some innocent soul might put it in a
>>>     machine and get hurt.

>>> For now, X seems to work fine without those man pages, but experience
>>>     tells me I'll want them. (In fact I did want them when I was
>>>     trying to get x configured, but I got it working without them.)

>>>     $ uname -a
>>>     FreeBSD Zorthluthik.local.bar 5.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE #0:
>>>     Thu Jan 16 22:16:53 GMT 2003

>>>     $ man X
>>>     No manual entry for X
>>>     $ man 7 X
>>>     No entry for X in section 7 of the manual
>>>     $ man ati
>>>     No manual entry for ati
>>>     $ man 4 ati
>>>     No entry for ati in section 4 of the manual

>> Install the x11/XFree86-4-manuals port (it is not installed as a
>> dependency of  the XFree86-4 port).  This will at least get you X,
>> if not ati.

> Or, first, ensure that /usr/X11R6/man is in the MANPATH.

$ manpath
/usr/share/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/X11R6/man:/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/man

So that's not the problem. But thanks anyway; I'd forgotten the
    manpath command.

1. Standard man pages to "Catted" man pages!

To Anyone Interested:

        How does one take a standard "troff"ed (?) man page that comes
with a package off the net (ending in .1, .2, etc) and turn in into a
compressed, "cat"ted man page (ending in .1.Z, .2.Z, etc) that are
stored in the directory /usr/man/catN (N = 1,2,3,...) that can be read
by the standard man utility that comes with the SLS distribution?  I'm
sure that this is trivial to do, and is probably written down
SOMEWHERE, but I've got only so many hours a day I can spend reading
FAQs and HOWTOs.  Thanx in advance...
--

                                Dr. Richard Procassini
                                Methods Development Group

                                (510)424-4095

2. 2.4.14 Oops while reading CD ROM

3. How to format BSD man pages (groff man) using "classical" troff man?

4. Tape Backup used for Linux and Dos (SCSI) ?

5. Man pages missing??? How to install?

6. Backup question

7. Missing Man Pages

8. CDE

9. Missed man pages

10. Missing some MAN pages

11. Am I the only one missing man pages?

12. SLS update: missing man pages

13. Missing Man Pages with Slackware 3.0???