Adding a second hard drive -- file system layout advice?

Adding a second hard drive -- file system layout advice?

Post by Conrad Sabati » Fri, 09 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I'll be getting a second drive (IDE) for my machine in a couple of days,
and am trying to decide how best to make use of it with FreeBSD.  For
starters, here's my current setup:

1.6 gig IDE drive on wdc0
CD-ROM on wdc1 (wcd0)

I'm using the Boot Manager on wd0, with DOS/Win95 in the first partition
and FreeBSD in the second.  At this time, of course, *all* of my FreeBSD
stuff is on this partition (root, swap and usr slices).

Ideally, I'd like to dedicate the entire new drive to FreeBSD, and move
all my existing FreeBSD stuff to the new (3.2 gig!) drive (which will be
slaved on wdc0 as wd1), but I'm not sure if it will be possible to
automatically boot into this.  Is this possible?  Would it make a
difference if I mastered it instead?

If the above is not possible, what then would be the best way to install
the drive into the current file system, so that, for instance, pkg_add and
other automated installers will use the new, roomier drive?  Should I
maybe just move the usr slice over to the new drive and leave everything
else where it is?

As you can see, I'm in a bit of a conundrum over this.  I want to be sure
to make the best choice when I install the drive so I don't have to go
back and redo it later.

Thanks very much for any ideas!
--
Conrad Sabatier -- http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads

Post by kient.. » Mon, 12 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>Ideally, I'd like to dedicate the entire new drive to FreeBSD, and move
>all my existing FreeBSD stuff to the new (3.2 gig!) drive (which will be
>slaved on wdc0 as wd1), but I'm not sure if it will be possible to
>automatically boot into this.

I recently added a new 2gig drive and moved my entire FreeBSD system
to this second drive, leaving the first drive for other uses.
In my case, the first drive is IDE, the second SCSI, so my situation
isn't identical, but the same ideas should apply:

The first part is to get a selective boot program installed that
understands multiple disks.  Last I checked, the default FreeBSD
setup doesn't handle this.  However, OS-BS 2.0 (beta version is
on the 2.1R CD-ROM) does handle this quite nicely.

The second trick is the FreeBSD bootblocks.  Once the selective boot
program gets you to the `Boot:' prompt, you may find you have to
manually specify the drive to boot.  If you do need to manually
specify the drive, you'll want to recompile the bootblocks with a
different default.  Study `man disklabel' and
/usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot for details on modifying and replacing
the bootblocks.

1. Adding second hard drive and file system questions.

Hi:

I just bought a new hard drive for my linux.
But I had problem in loading file system on it.

This was how I did it. First, I partition this
hard drive, and then I added a line in /etc/fstab
to make it load a new file system(/usr2) on the
new partion(/hdb/hd#) on the new hard drive.
But when I re-booted it, I got error messages
saying that my superblock info was messed up,
and therefore it tried to use the old one...

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? What's the
correct way to do this? Please email me your
advice. I'll very appreciate it!!

Yang-Cheng

2. Data Structure Problem

3. adding a second hard drive to a blade system

4. Trouble with Sony CDU33A CD-ROM drive

5. Adding a Tape Drive or Second Hard Drive

6. newbie questions -- FAQ?

7. Adding additional hard drive space to current file system

8. How do you get /net to work with autofs-3.1.7-14 on RH 7.1?

9. need advice on adding second hard disk question -------

10. advice on e450 file system layout for oracle

11. How to merge two hard drive into one logical hard drive for Linux

12. Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive

13. Two hard drives to a single hard drive