iomega zip (parrallel port)

Post by Tobias Phylosophia » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi.

I'm going to buy (today) a iomega zip drive, connecting in my parrallel
port.  I see somewere that FreeBSD 2.2.6 ( and newer) handle these
drives.

Someone know a great starting point to get documentation about this?

thanks

tobias

iomega zip (parrallel port)

Post by Kenneth Furg » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hi.

> I'm going to buy (today) a iomega zip drive, connecting in my parrallel
> port.  I see somewere that FreeBSD 2.2.6 ( and newer) handle these
> drives.

> Someone know a great starting point to get documentation about this?

Be careful which one you buy.  The newer Zip+ drives are only supported
in the latest betas of 3.0 and (I believe) in -stable.  You should
install 2.2.6 then cvsup your system up to a version of -stable.  This
will get you everything you need for zip and zip+ support using the
ppbus interface.

- K.C.

iomega zip (parrallel port)

Post by Benny K.Y. L » Mon, 05 Oct 1998 04:00:00

----------

>> Hi.

>> I'm going to buy (today) a iomega zip drive, connecting in my parrallel
>> port.  I see somewere that FreeBSD 2.2.6 ( and newer) handle these
>> drives.

>> Someone know a great starting point to get documentation about this?

>Be careful which one you buy.  The newer Zip+ drives are only supported
>in the latest betas of 3.0 and (I believe) in -stable.  You should
>install 2.2.6 then cvsup your system up to a version of -stable.  This
>will get you everything you need for zip and zip+ support using the
>ppbus interface.

>- K.C.

What about just Zip100 drive with Parallel Port?
If it does, can it support printer and the Zip drive using the same Parallel
Port? I know Linux 2.0 doesn't....

thanks
Benny

iomega zip (parrallel port)

Post by Mitch Pane » Mon, 05 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Good Luck- I have 2.2.6 and have installed with x-windows. My x-windows
works well but I still have not mounted my zip ide/atapi drive in freebsd. I
used to have slackware and I did mount my zip with that.
(http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ this is the best info I've found so far. The
only part thats well documented is the SCSI support.

MP :-)

>----------

>>> Hi.

>>> I'm going to buy (today) a iomega zip drive, connecting in my parrallel
>>> port.  I see somewere that FreeBSD 2.2.6 ( and newer) handle these
>>> drives.

>>> Someone know a great starting point to get documentation about this?

>>Be careful which one you buy.  The newer Zip+ drives are only supported
>>in the latest betas of 3.0 and (I believe) in -stable.  You should
>>install 2.2.6 then cvsup your system up to a version of -stable.  This
>>will get you everything you need for zip and zip+ support using the
>>ppbus interface.

>>- K.C.

>What about just Zip100 drive with Parallel Port?
>If it does, can it support printer and the Zip drive using the same
Parallel
>Port? I know Linux 2.0 doesn't....

>thanks
>Benny

iomega zip (parrallel port)

Post by Kenneth Furg » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> What about just Zip100 drive with Parallel Port?
> If it does, can it support printer and the Zip drive using the same Parallel
> Port? I know Linux 2.0 doesn't....

With -stable and -current versions of FreeBSD, I believe you can have
both devices hooked up to the ppbus at the same time.  At any given
time, however, you can only use one device.

- K.C.