/dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device

/dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device

Post by Stephen Patterso » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 09:26:49

I've got a system wih a working soundcard (checked with xmms), but play
doesn't work. It gives the error message
play: /dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device

Any ideas?

--
Stephen Patterson        http://www.lexx.uklinux.net/

Linux Counter No: 142831 GPG Public key: 252B8B37
Last one down the pub's an MCSE

/dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device

Post by Conrad Sabatie » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 11:32:13

Quote:>I've got a system wih a working soundcard (checked with xmms), but play
>doesn't work. It gives the error message
>play: /dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device

>Any ideas?

What are you trying to play?
--

Post by Stephen Patterso » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 22:35:12

>>I've got a system wih a working soundcard (checked with xmms), but play
>>doesn't work. It gives the error message
>>play: /dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device

>>Any ideas?

> What are you trying to play?

Its a wav file hich works fine on linux, file says
audclips/chime.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 8
bit, mono 11025 Hz

--

Post by Stephen Patterso » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 22:38:05

Quote:> I've got a system wih a working soundcard (checked with xmms), but play
> doesn't work. It gives the error message
> play: /dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device

> Any ideas?

I ought to mention that the other thing I've done recently is cvsup'd from
4.6.2 to 4.7 and it took 8 hours to compile :)

--

Post by Conrad Sabatie » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 13:04:46

>>>I've got a system wih a working soundcard (checked with xmms), but play
>>>doesn't work. It gives the error message
>>>play: /dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device

>>>Any ideas?

>> What are you trying to play?

>Its a wav file hich works fine on linux, file says
>audclips/chime.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 8
>bit, mono 11025 Hz

I assume you're providing a proper set of command line switches to play?

I'm not sure what, if any, are the default setting play uses.  But
you'll almost certainly want to make sure it knows that this is 8-bit
data, single-channel, as well as specifying the sampling rate.
--

Post by Conrad Sabatie » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 13:05:35

>> I've got a system wih a working soundcard (checked with xmms), but play
>> doesn't work. It gives the error message
>> play: /dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device

>> Any ideas?

>I ought to mention that the other thing I've done recently is cvsup'd from
>4.6.2 to 4.7 and it took 8 hours to compile :)

Mein Gott!  It didn't take that long even on my old 166 MHz Pentium box!

What kind of machine are you using?
--

Post by Stephen Patterso » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:22:19

> Mein Gott!  It didn't take that long even on my old 166 MHz Pentium box!

> What kind of machine are you using?

Mine's slower than yours :)
IBM Thinkpad, P133 64MB RAM with /usr/src on an NFS server with a 100MBit
connection (to save disk space).

--

Post by Bill Vermilli » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 00:26:27

>> I've got a system wih a working soundcard (checked with xmms), but play
>> doesn't work. It gives the error message
>> play: /dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device
>> Any ideas?
>I ought to mention that the other thing I've done recently is
>cvsup'd from 4.6.2 to 4.7 and it took 8 hours to compile :)

About the same time for me on a 166MHz P5.  Of course this was
started at night and I had an expire on the newspool running during
that time :-)  I normally get about 6. On the PPro 180MHz it runs
about 3.

--

1. login_tty /dev/console: Operation not supported by device

I just installed FreeBSD4.4.

After booting, the following error message is sent to the console repeatedly:

getty[xxx]: login_tty /dev/console: Operation not supported by device

after this message is displayed 5 times, the system sends the message:

init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/console, sleeping 30 seconds

I have seen this problem posted several times without any response.

Can anyone help?

  Scott.Olson.vcf
< 1K Download

2. effect changes to rc.conf

3. /dev/sndstat: operation not supported by device

4. Installation of RedHat 6.1 hangs

5. login_tty /dev/console: Operation not supported by device error.??

6. Runlevels

7. /dev/audio: Operation not supported by device?

8. Linux GUI BBS ??

9. Dummy device - SIOCSIFADDR: Operation not supported by device

10. keep getting /dev/dsp: Device not configured on XMMS

11. bash: /dev/dsp: Device not configured`

12. /dev/dsp : Device not configured

13. device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device) (with onbaord via soundcard)