How do you allow a normal user to su to root?

How do you allow a normal user to su to root?

Post by General American Compagnie de Reassurance-Vie du Canad » Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:00:00

  When I try, I get :
     su: you are not in the correct group to su root.

  What group should I be in ? I have this line in the group file:

    wheel:*:0:root:mario

  but I still can't su to root. Thanks for your help!

  Mario Mendes
  RGA Canada

How do you allow a normal user to su to root?

Post by Philipp Mergenthale » Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>   When I try, I get :
>      su: you are not in the correct group to su root.
>   What group should I be in ? I have this line in the group file:
>     wheel:*:0:root:mario

                    ^
I think this should be a "," .

"man group" says:
 The member field contains the names of users granted the privi-
 leges of group. The member names are separated by commas without spaces
 or newlines.  A user is automatically in a group if that group was speci-
 fied in their /etc/passwd entry and does not need to be added to that
 group in the /etc/group file.

Quote:>   Mario Mendes
>   RGA Canada

Bye, Philipp

--
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------

Tel.: 0721/694532                          |     schoenste Narr.
Klosterweg 28 / I609, 76131 Karlsruhe      | (Weiss jemand, von wem das ist?)
http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~un1i/         |

How do you allow a normal user to su to root?

Post by Craig Shrimpt » Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>   What group should I be in ? I have this line in the group file:

>     wheel:*:0:root:mario

I think that should say: root,mario not root:mario

--Craig

--
Orbit Data Systems, Inc.                         Craig Shrimpton
400 Grove Street                                 508-753-8776

How do you allow a normal user to su to root?

Post by Tony Griffith » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>   When I try, I get :
>      su: you are not in the correct group to su root.

>   What group should I be in ? I have this line in the group file:

>     wheel:*:0:root:mario

The list of users in the group is comma (,) separated!

Tony

How do you allow a normal user to su to root?

Post by Matt Pounse » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>  When I try, I get :
>     su: you are not in the correct group to su root.
>  What group should I be in ? I have this line in the group file:
>    wheel:*:0:root:mario

Your groups entry is wrong.  logins in the group file should be a comma
separated list.  What you want is

wheel:*:0:root,mario

--

"Gee Wally, what'll you do with the body?"  -- "Batsy" Reid

1. Could su but says BAD SU from normal user to root

I have edited the file /etc/group on my freshly installed openBSD 2.4
to include the normal user erekose in the wheel group as follows
"wheel:*:0:root,erekose" so that I could issue the "su -l" command to
log to root coz I think it is not wise  to log as root remotely but
then
after supplying even the correct passwd to log to root I got this msg
"BAD SU from erekose to root". Why ???

I am a newbie to openBSD and call for the expert help here :)

Thanks in advance.

2. [ATM] forerunner he support

3. logging in slow or su from root to normal user

4. COPS manual, how to print *.chk docs?

5. su: allow all users to su to a login with their own password

6. move /usr/local from hdb1 to hda1?

7. su to a user then su to root in startup script

8. Does linux have SMP capability?? If so which version ?

9. differences between su root and su - root

10. su root: You do not have permission to su root ?

11. Solution: differences between su root and su - root

12. need to restrict users doing a su to a selected group of users

13. transfering the "history" of a normal user to the su-shell possible