Running LINUX executables on FreeBSD

Post by Ravi Cheem » Sun, 14 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

This is my first posting to this newsgroup. I'll get straight down to
business -

Is it possible to run LINUX executables on FreeBSD? If so do I need to
setup the system or can I just execute the programs?

Ravi Cheema                        "We take a handful of sand from the

Post by Steve Roo » Sun, 14 Apr 1996 04:00:00

: Is it possible to run LINUX executables on FreeBSD? If so do I need to
: setup the system or can I just execute the programs?

Yes, you will probably have to recompile your kernel with linux
compatibility mode, unless you already have done. There is a lot
of stuff about compiling kernels in the handbook which you should
have. (it's in /usr/share/doc or something, can't remember offhand)

You'll also need the linux_compatibility module, which you'll
find in /usr/lkm or /var/lkm or even /lkm (therabouts anyway=) )
you need to load it in with modload try man modload.

However your best bet is to find the handbook and read it carefully,
it seems to have almost everything in, and will guide you through
most of these things with more ease than anything else.

Steve.
(You may not need to recompile your kernel, but you may as well
learn how to, it's worth the hassle. =) )
--
,-------------------------------------------------------------,

| Bristol, UK.             | http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~roome/ |
'-------------------------------------------------------------'

Post by Jordan K. Hubba » Tue, 16 Apr 1996 04:00:00

   Is it possible to run LINUX executables on FreeBSD? If so do I need to

Yes.

   setup the system or can I just execute the programs?

Set `linux=YES' in your /etc/sysconfig and reboot to enable it always.
Run the `linux' command at root to enable it once until the system is
next rebooted.

                                                Jordan
--
- Jordan Hubbard