Printer problem ! first page garbage

Post by Patrick Oo » Wed, 07 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a Lexmark laserprinter hooked up to a FreeBSD box (parallel).
When I print, it always prints one page full of garbage...
With lp, and also when I print from a Windows workstation
though the BSD box with Samba.

This is my printcap:

lp|local line printer:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Any clues ?

--
Pine Internet B.V.                      www.pine.nl
This space intentionally left blank.

Post by Brian Some » Sat, 10 May 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I have a Lexmark laserprinter hooked up to a FreeBSD box (parallel).
> When I print, it always prints one page full of garbage...
> With lp, and also when I print from a Windows workstation
> though the BSD box with Samba.

> This is my printcap:

> lp|local line printer:\
>        :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

> Any clues ?

Nope.

You could try stopping printing on lp (lpc stop lp) and then
examine the data in /var/spool/output/lpd.  There should be
no "garbage" there.  You could then try killing lpd and
cat'ing your data to the printer.  If the garbage comes out
(I suspect it will), it means that it's your printer and
not the software.

If it's the printer, you're gonna have to get the manual
out and figure out how to stop it from spewing the garbage.
You can then set up a filter using the answer you find in
the manual.

Post more details if you can narrow the problem.

--

      <http://www.awfulhak.org>

1. Garbage on first printed page of DJ550C

I've got a HP Deskjet 550C on a Linux 1.2.13 box.  If I turn the
printer off and spool to lpr and then turn on the printer.  It starts
printing but the first page is always just garbage, the second page
prints fine, and subsequent pages are fine.

Is there something in the printcap I need to change to fix the first
page?

Here's what I have there now:

lpdj:lp=/dev/lp2:mx#0:sd=/usr/spool/lp2:sh:sf

Mark Moran

2. HOWTO Hack Intel EtherExpress Pro drivers

3. Formatting MAN Pages to Fit on One Printer Page

4. Remote X Display

5. Printer prints a page of garbage then the good stuff.

6. Opti 931 pnp sound card and linux 2.0.29. Help needed.

7. Solaris printer server printing garbage to all printers.

8. XFree86 on SCO Open Server

9. Printer Problem: Default page size resets after power outage on remote line printer

10. printer jump one page

11. Mulitple PS-Pages on one physical page

12. Multiple logical pages on one physical page