Local network setup problems

Post by jmcsw.. » Tue, 29 Apr 1997 04:00:00

HELP!

I am trying to set up  a Free BSD server with an SMC
Elite ethernet card to talk to a W95 box with another
SMC Elite card on a local
network at home. I used the hardware jumpers to set
the SMC card in the bsd box  to 0x300,10,cc000 and during bootup used
UserConfig to set these parameters for ed1. The
system recognizes the card is there. W95 recognized
the card and loaded the appropriate drivers using the
software config setting on the SMC card.

I ifconfiged the ed1 interface:
ifconfig ed1 inet 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0.
On w95 I set the IP address to 10.0.0.3 and set
the netmask to 255.255.255.0.  So far so good.

I can see packets being
transmitted (using netstat -I ) from either box
but neither box will answer a PING. The send
and receive lights on the SMC cards light up
when a ping is sent on either end. The BSD box
has the correct ethernet address for the w95 box
so ARP seems to be working but still NO PING.

Any ideas or advice would be welcome!

Dale McSwain

Local network setup problems

Post by Brian Some » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> HELP!

> I am trying to set up  a Free BSD server with an SMC
> Elite ethernet card to talk to a W95 box with another
> SMC Elite card on a local
> network at home. I used the hardware jumpers to set
> the SMC card in the bsd box  to 0x300,10,cc000 and during bootup used
> UserConfig to set these parameters for ed1. The
> system recognizes the card is there. W95 recognized
> the card and loaded the appropriate drivers using the
> software config setting on the SMC card.

> I ifconfiged the ed1 interface:
> ifconfig ed1 inet 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0.
> On w95 I set the IP address to 10.0.0.3 and set
> the netmask to 255.255.255.0.  So far so good.

> I can see packets being
> transmitted (using netstat -I ) from either box
> but neither box will answer a PING. The send
> and receive lights on the SMC cards light up
> when a ping is sent on either end. The BSD box
> has the correct ethernet address for the w95 box
> so ARP seems to be working but still NO PING.

> Any ideas or advice would be welcome!

Do you know that the cables are ok ?  When you ping from
10.3, try running tcpdump on 10.2 - see if the packet
arrives.

Quote:> Dale McSwain

--

      <http://www.awfulhak.org>

Local network setup problems

Post by Dale McSwa » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

Well I found the problem last night.

For some reason the SMC Elite combo cards
time out when the soft IRQ settings
are used. Both W95 and FreeBSD do this when
the jumper is moved to the soft setting. After
using EZSetup and modifying the soft parameters
to a non-conflicting IRQ  the cards still behave
the same. FreeBSD gives device timeout errors
when booted and W95 gives them when a network
packet goes out.

The hard jumper settings do function ok though.

Has anyone seen this behaviour? I am running
FreeBSD 2.1.7.

Dale McSwain

1. network problem - local network setup

Hi all,

have a problem while setting up my home network; there are two PC's
asterix, Realtek - 8029(AS)  192.168.0.98
idefix, Realtek - RT8139     192.168.0.20

Both cards work fine with ping on the lo and the own nodename, when I try to
ping to the other node I get an error like mentioned below ...

-----------------

From asterix.meprivat (192.168.0.98): icmp_seq=1 Destination Host
Unreachable
From asterix.meprivat (192.168.0.98) icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
From asterix.meprivat (192.168.0.98) icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
From asterix.meprivat (192.168.0.98) icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
From asterix.meprivat (192.168.0.98) icmp_seq=4 Destination Host Unreachable
From asterix.meprivat (192.168.0.98) icmp_seq=5 Destination Host Unreachable
From asterix.meprivat (192.168.0.98) icmp_seq=6 Destination Host Unreachable

--- idefix.meprivat ping statistics ---
8 packets transmitted, 0 received, +7 errors, 100% loss, time 7032ms
, pipe 3

---------------------

Need advice, any help is welcome ! Thanx a lot in advance !!

--
Besten Dank / Thank you very much

Tom

2. Vieux Compaq 386 & Linux

3. Setup sendmail for local home-network AND uucp global network

4. Replacing Solaris logo for Solaris2.6?

5. Did setup Linux, but having problems setting up Local Email between local users

6. Get history of Wall broadcast messages

7. Problem with network(connecting to internet via local network)

8. Available memory on AIX?

9. Setup a local network server

10. Basic Local Area Networking Setup Help

11. How to setup a local network with ethernet card?

12. How to setup local network between linux and Win95?

13. Local network setup (Debian 2.0.30)