How is FreeBSD running on systems based on VIA chipsets?

How is FreeBSD running on systems based on VIA chipsets?

Post by Gene » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Both for Intel and the Athlon. There are some 4 different drivers on the
VIA site that people have to download in order to get their system
running with Windows - so I am wondering if FreeBSD know how to work
properly with VIA chipsets. (I have PCI video card so I am not really
intersted about some advanced AGP 4.X and sidebanding stuff and could
live without Ultra DMA 66MHz - I am just looking for stable operation)

Gene

How is FreeBSD running on systems based on VIA chipsets?

Post by Mark Slin » Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Both for Intel and the Athlon. There are some 4 different drivers on the
> VIA site that people have to download in order to get their system
> running with Windows - so I am wondering if FreeBSD know how to work
> properly with VIA chipsets. (I have PCI video card so I am not really
> intersted about some advanced AGP 4.X and sidebanding stuff and could
> live without Ultra DMA 66MHz - I am just looking for stable operation)

> Gene

Runs fine on my VIA M/Board (3.4-RELEASE)

Excerpt from dmesg:

chip0: <VIA 82C597 (Apollo VP3) system controller> rev 0x04 on pci0.0.0
chip1: <VIA 82C598MVP (Apollo MVP3) PCI-PCI bridge> rev 0x00 on pci0.1.0
chip2: <VIA 82C586 PCI-ISA bridge> rev 0x41 on pci0.7.0

Mark.

Post by Dominik Beh » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Both for Intel and the Athlon. There are some 4 different drivers on the
> VIA site that people have to download in order to get their system
> running with Windows - so I am wondering if FreeBSD know how to work
> properly with VIA chipsets. (I have PCI video card so I am not really
> intersted about some advanced AGP 4.X and sidebanding stuff and could
> live without Ultra DMA 66MHz - I am just looking for stable operation)

it was running fine on my FIC va-503+ (VIA Apollo MVP3 + K6-2 300)
now it is running fine with my ACORP 6VIA86P (VIA Apollo Pro133A + Celeron
366)

i had issues with MVP3 + Riva TNT under windows2000 though so i had to
buy acorp+celeron :(

--
dominik behr

Post by Jeremy Nels » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>Both for Intel and the Athlon. There are some 4 different drivers on the
>VIA site that people have to download in order to get their system
>running with Windows - so I am wondering if FreeBSD know how to work
>properly with VIA chipsets. (I have PCI video card so I am not really
>intersted about some advanced AGP 4.X and sidebanding stuff and could
>live without Ultra DMA 66MHz - I am just looking for stable operation)

With the default settings, i noticed that under freebsd 3.3, the machine
locked up hard whenever I tried to access /dev/cuaa0.  By changing the
bios settings so that the serial port was at COM2 instead of COM1, I
could then access /dev/cuaa1, without locking up the machine.

Other than that, I haven't had any problems.  I haven't used freebsd 4.*
yet, but I am going to upgrade soon because I have usb gear I'm interested
in using.  I also have to figure out how to make the USR 56k PCI modem
(it is _not_ a winmodem, I'm 100% sure) work, but the 33.6 external I
have works just fine either way. =)

Jeremy
--

Four
Lines

How is FreeBSD running on systems based on VIA chipsets?

Post by David Wahlste » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

>>Both for Intel and the Athlon. There are some 4 different drivers on the
>>VIA site that people have to download in order to get their system
>>running with Windows - so I am wondering if FreeBSD know how to work
>>properly with VIA chipsets. (I have PCI video card so I am not really
>>intersted about some advanced AGP 4.X and sidebanding stuff and could
>>live without Ultra DMA 66MHz - I am just looking for stable operation)

> With the default settings, i noticed that under freebsd 3.3, the machine
> locked up hard whenever I tried to access /dev/cuaa0.  By changing the
> bios settings so that the serial port was at COM2 instead of COM1, I
> could then access /dev/cuaa1, without locking up the machine.

> Other than that, I haven't had any problems.  I haven't used freebsd 4.*
> yet, but I am going to upgrade soon because I have usb gear I'm interested
> in using.  I also have to figure out how to make the USR 56k PCI modem
> (it is _not_ a winmodem, I'm 100% sure) work, but the 33.6 external I
> have works just fine either way. =)

> Jeremy

I've had no problems with the above, and i have FIC-va503+
Here are some parts of my dmesg:

FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #0: Thu Jan 27 10:35:43 CET 2000

CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (300.68-MHz 586-class CPU)

wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 flags 0x80ff80ff on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <IBM-DJNA-351520>, 32-bit, multi-block-16
wd0: 14664MB (30033360 sectors), 29795 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S

chip0: <VIA 82C597 (Apollo VP3) system controller> rev 0x04 on pci0.0.0
chip1: <VIA 82C598MVP (Apollo MVP3) PCI-PCI bridge> rev 0x00 on pci0.1.0
chip2: <VIA 82C586 PCI-ISA bridge> rev 0x41 on pci0.7.0

But i'm using an IBM deskstar 25gp (15GB 5400rpm udma66 and 33 compatible)
When i turn on flags a0ffa0ff (dma and multiblock-32) the system don't boot...
It works fine with flags 80ff80ff, though.

DMA worked fine with my old seagate medallist 2.1G ide-disk.

Someone knows if this problem is caused by the VIA chiset ?

/David