Configuring PCCARD Slots (Newbie Question)

Configuring PCCARD Slots (Newbie Question)

Post by RJ » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:28:45

I'm having a major problem configuring my PC Card slots. The kernel simply
will not recognize and/or configure the slots no matter what I do.  I have
spent a lot of time attempting to get this working but I'm just at the limit
now.

Quite frankly, as much as I love FreeBSD and want to get this working on my
laptop.....I'm starting to think about Linux which I havent used in about
three (3) years but which I had no problems setting up PCMCIA before.

Post by News Reade » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 03:42:34

   > I'm having a major problem configuring my PC Card slots.
   > The kernel simply will not recognize and/or configure the
   > slots no matter what I do.  I have spent a lot of time
   > attempting to get this working but I'm just at the limit
   > now.
   [...]

Are you getting messages such as "/dev/card0:  Device not
configured" or something similar?  I had this problem as well
(just solved it last night).  The solution, in my case, was
to enter the BIOS settings:  There was an option to the effect
of "assign address to PCIC" which was set to "Automatic" --
changing this to "Manual" (with the default, I think it was
03E0) fixed the problem.  (I did not have to edit pccard.conf,
it was able to find the PCIC at the default address.)  If you
are building a custom kernel, make sure that you have the
PCMCIA entries enabled (see GENERIC or LINT for details).

Post by aykat s » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 13:51:39

>    > I'm having a major problem configuring my PC Card slots.
>    > The kernel simply will not recognize and/or configure the
>    > slots no matter what I do.  I have spent a lot of time
>    > attempting to get this working but I'm just at the limit
>    > now.
>    [...]

> Are you getting messages such as "/dev/card0:  Device not
> configured" or something similar?  I had this problem as well
> (just solved it last night).  The solution, in my case, was
> to enter the BIOS settings:  There was an option to the effect
> of "assign address to PCIC" which was set to "Automatic" --
> changing this to "Manual" (with the default, I think it was
> 03E0) fixed the problem.  (I did not have to edit pccard.conf,
> it was able to find the PCIC at the default address.)  If you
> are building a custom kernel, make sure that you have the
> PCMCIA entries enabled (see GENERIC or LINT for details).

See the link below.

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/ct/13

Go to

Laptops, PC Cards, and FreeBSD

Configuring PCCARD Slots (Newbie Question)

Post by RJ » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 14:23:23

I changed the "IDE Interface" settings in my BIOS from "BOTH(Primary &
Secondary)" to "PRIMARY" and viola!!!.....it automatically recognized my PC
Card on boot up.  I reconfigured the kernel and all seems to be working
fine. 'PCCARDC DUMPCIS" gave me all the details of the card, similar(and
much more details) to the information available in Windows

Now I have to look into getting  DHCP to work so I can connect through my
cable modem.

Once again.....Thank You all for your help.

RJ

Post by Rasput » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 18:49:11

> I'm having a major problem configuring my PC Card slots. The kernel simply
> will not recognize and/or configure the slots no matter what I do.  I have
> spent a lot of time attempting to get this working but I'm just at the limit
> now.

> Quite frankly, as much as I love FreeBSD and want to get this working on my
> laptop.....I'm starting to think about Linux which I havent used in about
> three (3) years but which I had no problems setting up PCMCIA before.

Look, you've been poisting this same problem all week.
People have asked for more information - ewhy not post it?

--
"These are the propulsion systems used by NASA for the moonshots,"
                said Tom apologetically.

1. Thinkpad pccard slot 1

I have a 380d thinkpad wihth 4.4-STABLE.  Warner said that the second
slot of this beast should take a pccard.  However, when I put my card
in I get:

pccard: card inserted, slot 1
pccardd[82]: Card "SunDisk"("SDP") [5/3 0.6] [(null)] matched
"SunDisk" ("/.*/") [(null)] [(null)]
pccardd[82]: Failed to allocate IRQ for SunDisk
pccardd[82]: pccardd started

Much the same thing if Istick the nic in slot 1.  From dmesg:
pcic0: <Cirrus Logic PD6729/6730 PC-Card Controller> port 0x3e0-0x3e3
at device 19.0 on pci0

So, am I missing some config option?

trev

2. socket error : accept failed

3. Qt: Slot question -- updating widgets inside a slot

4. ntop configuration error under Solaris 2.6

5. pccard --> pause in rc.pccard?

6. dmesg @home

7. Configuring PCCard

8. Mouse trouble after upgrade

9. Help: configuring a Xircom PCCard, everything seems to work, but...

10. Newbie: PCCard Ethernet Woes

11. Legato error- "Cannot find slot -9999 in operation slots list"

12. newbie question: configuring keyboard

13. Newbie question...configuring kernel