recommendations for NNTP cache / server?

recommendations for NNTP cache / server?

Post by Dave Pimlot » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 03:20:32

Hi all,

Could any suggest a reasonably easy-to-admin program that will allow a
single user (me) on a 56K dialup a way of reading around 20 groups offline.

I have had a look through ports and the web and have heard good things
about suck and inn... I am leaning towards suck because I don't really
need a full blown news server - just a way of reading offline...

Comments? Alternative suggestions? all appreciated.

Dave Pimlott
---
to reply direct, change MYFIRSTNAME MYLASTNAME.

Post by Dave Pimlot » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 03:25:54

> Hi all,

> Could any suggest a reasonably easy-to-admin program that will allow a
> single user (me) on a 56K dialup a way of reading around 20 groups offline.

> I have had a look through ports and the web and have heard good things
> about suck and inn... I am leaning towards suck because I don't really
> need a full blown news server - just a way of reading offline...

> Comments? Alternative suggestions? all appreciated.

Apologies, I also meant to include in my requirements, the ability to
submit posts to upstream NNTP servers... either batched or real-time

Dave Pimlott
---
to reply direct, change MYFIRSTNAME MYLASTNAME.

recommendations for NNTP cache / server?

Post by Kirk Strause » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 04:20:03

Quote:> Could any suggest a reasonably easy-to-admin program that will allow a
> single user (me) on a 56K dialup a way of reading around 20 groups
> offline.

You want leafnode.  It caches incoming and outgoing articles and only
fetches a group after you have visited that group.  It's very lightweight
and quite suitable for dialup.
--
Kirk Strauser

Post by ne.. » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 04:25:27

>> Hi all,

>> Could any suggest a reasonably easy-to-admin program that will allow a
>> single user (me) on a 56K dialup a way of reading around 20 groups offline.

>> I have had a look through ports and the web and have heard good things
>> about suck and inn... I am leaning towards suck because I don't really
>> need a full blown news server - just a way of reading offline...

>> Comments? Alternative suggestions? all appreciated.

> Apologies, I also meant to include in my requirements, the ability to
> submit posts to upstream NNTP servers... either batched or real-time

leafnode?

Certified: 55% bastard, 31% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest
Please remove '.invalid' to reply.

Post by ta.. » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:51:11

: Hi all,

: Could any suggest a reasonably easy-to-admin program that will allow a
: single user (me) on a 56K dialup a way of reading around 20 groups offline.

: I have had a look through ports and the web and have heard good things
: about suck and inn... I am leaning towards suck because I don't really
: need a full blown news server - just a way of reading offline...

: Comments? Alternative suggestions? all appreciated.

Suck only "sucks" (as his name says) news from a provider and hands them
to inn. So to use suck you need inn, which is quite difficult to configure.
But this is a VERY good solution to store a spool of 20 groups and
read them offline. In fact newsx is better than suck for doing the job, and
will make better use of the limited bandwith. An even more efficient solution
by far is to use uucp and send compressed batches to inn. However this needs
cooperation from the provider. In fact this is what i am doing: at work
i have full network connectivity, so i run inn and newsx to have my own
spool. I ask inn to prepare batches that are sent home via uucp. So when
i connect from home (and pay the phone line) these batches are transferred
through uucp, and this makes maximum use of bandwith. I have compared using
this method and directly using newsx on the server, the troughput is at least
doubled.
If on the other hand you don't want to bother configuring inn, you can use
leafnode which does sucking and storing on its own, and is ultra easy
to setup. But be prepared to inefficiencies of all sorts.

: Dave Pimlott
: ---
: to reply direct, change MYFIRSTNAME MYLASTNAME.

--

Michel TALON

Post by ta.. » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:52:07

: Apologies, I also meant to include in my requirements, the ability to
: submit posts to upstream NNTP servers... either batched or real-time

suck and newsx both post your articles to the provider. So does leafnode.

: Dave Pimlott
: ---

Post by Dave Pimlot » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:19:49

> I use leafnode+-2.14. Install, configure, and forget. Not a single
> problem with it ever.

> Plug 'n Play at its best.

a version of Plug and play that works, wow :)

thanks all, I installed leafnode and pulled down the first batch of posts
last night
Another satisfied customer :)

Dave Pimlott.
---
to reply direct, change MYFIRSTNAME MYLASTNAME

Politicians should be changed frequently, like nappies
- and for much the same reason. -- Unknown.

recommendations for NNTP cache / server?

Post by ta.. » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:45:54

:>
:> I use leafnode+-2.14. Install, configure, and forget. Not a single
:> problem with it ever.
:>
:> Plug 'n Play at its best.

: a version of Plug and play that works, wow :)

: thanks all, I installed leafnode and pulled down the first batch of posts
: last night
: Another satisfied customer :)

Wait a moment, and you will discover the inconvenients of leafnode.
I don't want to discourage you, but leafnode has some serious
shortcomings.

--

Michel TALON

Post by Kirk Strause » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 23:50:06

> Wait a moment, and you will discover the inconvenients of leafnode.  I
> don't want to discourage you, but leafnode has some serious shortcomings.

Such as?  I've been using it for personal and semi-professional use for a
couple of years now, and have yet to hit a brick wall.  What problems have
you seen on light-duty sites?
--
Kirk Strauser

Post by ta.. » Fri, 27 Sep 2002 02:02:20

:> Wait a moment, and you will discover the inconvenients of leafnode.  I
:> don't want to discourage you, but leafnode has some serious shortcomings.

: Such as?  I've been using it for personal and semi-professional use for a
: couple of years now, and have yet to hit a brick wall.  What problems have
: you seen on light-duty sites?

Main problems:
there is no database for the overview but a collection of directories
and symbolic links.
Then, first this is inefficient for providing fast overview, second it
eats a lot of inodes and your filesystem can easily be full.
Expiration is slow and doesn't work well. I have been obliged to remove
dead links by hand.
Third security is next to nil. Better use tcpwrappers to restrict access.
Compare to inn which allows to put overview and spool in predefined buffers
(which can even be raw disk partitions) and you have a system which is fast,
immune to disk filling, auto expiring, and has sophisticated control
features.
If moreover you need to transfer news through a slow link, inn allows to
prepare batches and send them through uucp, which is more efficient. In my
opinion it is clear that the time spent configuring inn is well spent.
It then keeps going without any flaws.

: --
: Kirk Strauser

--

Michel TALON

Post by Dave Pimlot » Fri, 27 Sep 2002 19:09:34

> Main problems:
> there is no database for the overview but a collection of directories
> and symbolic links.
> Then, first this is inefficient for providing fast overview, second it
> eats a lot of inodes and your filesystem can easily be full.
> Expiration is slow and doesn't work well. I have been obliged to remove
> dead links by hand.
> Third security is next to nil. Better use tcpwrappers to restrict access.
> Compare to inn which allows to put overview and spool in predefined buffers
> (which can even be raw disk partitions) and you have a system which is fast,
> immune to disk filling, auto expiring, and has sophisticated control
> features.
> If moreover you need to transfer news through a slow link, inn allows to
> prepare batches and send them through uucp, which is more efficient. In my
> opinion it is clear that the time spent configuring inn is well spent.
> It then keeps going without any flaws.

while these are good points, I would point out that this system was chosen
(in my case)
- for one user...
- who is behind a firewall...
- being admined by a competent techy, me the security technician - this is
my job
- leafnode is not running on the firewall

I would also like to point out it isn't going to cache more than 30 groups,
none of which are high volume, so bandwidth doesn't bother me too much.
Since the groups aren't high traffic the number of inodes used won't be
large either.
what is wrong with running texpire (tool provided alongside leafnode to
expire articles) as a cron job?
my service provider doesn't provide UUCP facilities (and I don't really
care either...)

*If* I were put in a position to set up an NNTP cache / server in a
commercial environment then I would probably go for a 'proper' NNTP server
- like INN.  But for one user I really don't care about 'inefficiences' of
one product over another - I want something easy to setup (and I _mean_ so
_simple_ that a 6 year old could setup and admin it...)

Dave Pimlott.
---
to reply direct, change MYFIRSTNAME MYLASTNAME

Politicians should be changed frequently, like nappies
- and for much the same reason. -- Unknown.

recommendations for NNTP cache / server?

Post by Kirk Strause » Fri, 27 Sep 2002 23:30:11

Quote:> while these are good points, I would point out that this system was chosen
> (in my case)
> - for one user...
> - who is behind a firewall...
> - being admined by a competent techy, me the security technician - this is
> my job
> - leafnode is not running on the firewall

I'm in almost the same position, except that I run the server for my ISP's
customers (in exchange for being allowed to access my ISP's upstream feeds).
In my case, I have a list of netblocks to allow access, and I use
hosts.allow to deny access to anyone outside those networks.  I've built a
jail system to house the server and news spools, so I'm not too worried
about anyone causing damage beyond deleting articles.
--
Kirk Strauser

recommendations for NNTP cache / server?

Post by Richard Cale » Sat, 28 Sep 2002 18:42:00

Just an alternative POV:

t> Main problems [of leafnode]:

t> there is no database for the overview but a collection of directories
t> and symbolic links.
t> Then, first this is inefficient for providing fast overview, second it
t> eats a lot of inodes and your filesystem can easily be full.

Since it is targetted at small sites this is unlikely to be a
problem.

t> Expiration is slow and doesn't work well. I have been obliged to remove
t> dead links by hand.

Haven't had the problem, don't care how slow it ios as it runs at night.

t> Third security is next to nil. Better use tcpwrappers to restrict
t> access.

Again, for the target `market' this doesn't seem to be an issue. No
one outside my network can see the machine it is on in any case. If I
had a network which had a legal address rather than being NATed, or
just one machine, my firewall wouild certainly not pass NNTP
connections from the outside world. Hence security on the server is a
non-issue.

t> In my opinion it is clear that the time spent configuring inn is
t> well spent.  It then keeps going without any flaws.

This is probably true if you are running a site big enough to make INN
worthwhile in the first place, but for small organisations/individuals
leafnode's almost instant setup is likely to outweigh the limitations,
which in any case they likely won't hit.

--

Post by ta.. » Sat, 28 Sep 2002 20:19:52

: Just an alternative POV:

: t> Main problems [of leafnode]:

: t> there is no database for the overview but a collection of directories
: t> and symbolic links.
: t> Then, first this is inefficient for providing fast overview, second it
: t> eats a lot of inodes and your filesystem can easily be full.

: Since it is targetted at small sites this is unlikely to be a
: problem.

I mentioned the problem since it happened to me, on a small site,
around 10 groups.

: This is probably true if you are running a site big enough to make INN
: worthwhile in the first place, but for small organisations/individuals
: leafnode's almost instant setup is likely to outweigh the limitations,
: which in any case they likely won't hit.

In fact inn is not so difficult to configure.
/usr/local/share/doc/inn/INSTALL
followed point by point is sufficient, and even too much.

--

Michel TALON

recommendations for NNTP cache / server?

Post by Richard Cale » Sat, 28 Sep 2002 20:52:00

rjc> Since it is targetted at small sites this is unlikely to be a
rjc> problem.

t> I mentioned the problem since it happened to me, on a small site,
t> around 10 groups.

Running out of inodes with only 10 groups must mean you were close to
the edge anyway I would think. Certainly might make leafnode
unsuitable for small disks.

--

                                                 |<

1. Recommendation on NNTP server.

Hello,

  I would like to know your suggestion on setting up NNTP server on linux,
what I need to do is:

ISP News feed <-> HQ Office <-> branch office

The idea is only selected groups will be transfer from HQ office to branch
office. The people in branch office can read and post article in the local
server. The local server will then push newly posted article to HQ office
and in turn, those articles will be posted to the ISP news feed. Can the
INND do this?

TIA.

- Joe

2. username > 8 chars in /etc/passwd?

3. recommendation on NNTP server setup

4. Solaris Chat App Binary

5. caching name server recommendation?

6. Where is the msdos option in configure ( 2.0.34 )?

7. Recommendations for news caching server

8. Telnets/rlogins breaks under certain conditions

9. Fast Ethernet LAN adapter recommendations for *very* busy web cache servers?

10. NNTP fetcher & NNTP server

11. Caching proxy server with off-peak cache refresh

12. caching-only name server not caching.

13. Newbie Question: NNTP Proxy Or Cache?