Profile question.

Post by Paul C. Boyl » Sun, 25 Nov 2001 12:47:32

When I login useing a regular term and then use a KDE term  I get two
different profiles.
How do I set it up so I get the same .bash_profile each time?

Profile question.

Post by Jed Clea » Mon, 26 Nov 2001 05:47:43

At least with the Bourne shell, the profile is only read for a login
shells.  Most window managers that I've encountered don't start login
shells for xterms.  Caveats: I've never used bash or KDE.

ISTR that xterms will read a configuration file, perhaps the KDE term
does too.  Try its man page.

> When I login useing a regular term and then use a KDE term  I get two
> different profiles.
> How do I set it up so I get the same .bash_profile each time?

Profile question.

Post by Lowell Gilber » Tue, 27 Nov 2001 22:47:17

Quote:> When I login useing a regular term and then use a KDE term  I get two
> different profiles.
> How do I set it up so I get the same .bash_profile each time?

Sounds like you're putting things into .bash_profile which actually
belong in .bashrc...

Profile question.

Post by Paul C. Boyl » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:03:35

this is what I found out when i RTFM

If you copy bash to /root
and then add /root/bash to the /etc/shells file
and then create a .bash_profile file on /root
the system will start up in bash
now save the .bash_profile file as .bashrc
this will cause the terms to come up is bash

> > When I login useing a regular term and then use a KDE term  I get two
> > different profiles.
> > How do I set it up so I get the same .bash_profile each time?

> Sounds like you're putting things into .bash_profile which actually
> belong in .bashrc...

Profile question.

Post by Paul C. Boyl » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:03:18

this is what I found out when i RTFM

If you copy bash to /root
and then add /root/bash to the /etc/shells file
and then create a .bash_profile file on /root
the system will start up in bash
now save the .bash_profile file as .bashrc
this will cause the terms to come up is bash

> At least with the Bourne shell, the profile is only read for a login
> shells.  Most window managers that I've encountered don't start login
> shells for xterms.  Caveats: I've never used bash or KDE.

> ISTR that xterms will read a configuration file, perhaps the KDE term
> does too.  Try its man page.

> > When I login useing a regular term and then use a KDE term  I get two
> > different profiles.
> > How do I set it up so I get the same .bash_profile each time?

1. .profile questions

I'm running HP-UX 9.07 and I'm having a problem
with my .profile.  First when I bring up a new
hpterm my .profile is not executed and second when
I run it from the command line runs but then there
is a logout message and none of the settings stay.
Any help in this will be most appreciated.
--

John T. Shea

To reply remove the nospam from my address.

2. rm strange filenames - solution using find

3. a .profile question about the xenix vsh

4. Tooltip trouble in bubbling GNOME panel applet

5. .profile question

6. URL change to unix server

7. HPUX 10.2 /etc/profile question

8. Check this out