atapicam on FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #1

Post by Mike Bueid » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 10:18:29

Last weekend I did my first upgrade via cvsup tracking the
4.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #1: branch.  After a day and a
half of making and building the world and upgrading ports,
everything turned out great.

I had hoped I made the right choice tracking this branch rather
than stable.  Everything has been running smoothly so far.  Then,
I thought I'd give xcdroast a try.  I found out I needed scsi
emulation.  I found I needed to set:

device   atapicam       # emulate ATAPI devices as SCSI ditto

in my kernel conf.  Alas that is only available to the STABLE
branch.  Is there a patch I can install for atapicam? Or do I
have to jump tracks to the stable branch?

atapicam on FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #1

Post by benn » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 10:32:36

On Sun, 05 Jan 2003 18:18:29 -0700

> Last weekend I did my first upgrade via cvsup tracking the
> 4.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #1: branch.  After a day and a
> half of making and building the world and upgrading ports,
> everything turned out great.

> I had hoped I made the right choice tracking this branch rather
> than stable.  Everything has been running smoothly so far.  Then,
> I thought I'd give xcdroast a try.  I found out I needed scsi
> emulation.  I found I needed to set:

> device   atapicam       # emulate ATAPI devices as SCSI ditto

> in my kernel conf.  Alas that is only available to the STABLE
> branch.  Is there a patch I can install for atapicam? Or do I
> have to jump tracks to the stable branch?

have a look at

http://www.cuivre.fr.eu.org/~thomas/atapicam/

were you should get the patches

to patch, take a shell and enter

 cd /usr/src/sys
 patch < cam_xpt.c.diff
 patch < atapicam-20020820.diff
 patch < atapicam-STABLE-config-20020820.diff

Check that the file /usr/src/sys/conf/files has been patched.  It should
contain the lines
  < dev/ata/atapi-all.c   optional atapicam
  < dev/ata/atapi-cam.c   optional atapicam

rebuild the kernel etc.

Post by Jason Bourn » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 13:38:31

> Last weekend I did my first upgrade via cvsup tracking the
> 4.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #1: branch.  After a day and a
> half of making and building the world and upgrading ports,
> everything turned out great.

> I had hoped I made the right choice tracking this branch rather
> than stable.  Everything has been running smoothly so far.  Then,
> I thought I'd give xcdroast a try.  I found out I needed scsi
> emulation.  I found I needed to set:

> device   atapicam       # emulate ATAPI devices as SCSI ditto

> in my kernel conf.  Alas that is only available to the STABLE
> branch.  Is there a patch I can install for atapicam? Or do I
> have to jump tracks to the stable branch?

Greetings:

        I am running stable, upgraded from release about two weeks ago. I am
under the impression that in addition to device atapicam you also need:
device  scbus
device  pass
device  cd
You may also want to investigate cdrtools. I am currently using 2.0,
although this version is not in the ports as of yet.

        And, to make a long story short, I have been having problems getting
this to work correctly. I suspect the problem is not strictly a 'BSD one per
se, because I can mount cdrom drives as /dev/cd0c and copy files from them
at the console, but it all goes to pot when I bring up X and KDE. My ATAPI
burner is a Sony CRX215A1. My other cdrom is a memorex 48X. In cdroast I
can read tracks from an ISO Joliet Level 1 but not Level 3 on the memorex.
On the Sony it's no go all the way. Readcd just hangs and I have to
shutdown + reboot + power cycle to recover. I am currently in the middle of
investigating this (for two days now) and as of yet don't have much of a
clue.

        Suffice to say, I am extremely interested in hearing more on this
subject. Any insights, experiences, information, etc would be highly
appreciated! Good luck to you and I truly hope yours will work   -  :)

Post by Stephen Montgomery-Smit » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 17:15:19

> Last weekend I did my first upgrade via cvsup tracking the 4.7-RELEASE
> FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #1: branch.  After a day and a half of making and
> building the world and upgrading ports, everything turned out great.

> I had hoped I made the right choice tracking this branch rather than
> stable.  Everything has been running smoothly so far.  Then, I thought
> I'd give xcdroast a try.  I found out I needed scsi emulation.  I found
> I needed to set:

> device   atapicam       # emulate ATAPI devices as SCSI ditto

> in my kernel conf.  Alas that is only available to the STABLE branch.
> Is there a patch I can install for atapicam? Or do I have to jump tracks
> to the stable branch?

What I did was to look in pkg-descr, and also various README's that I found in
work after make extract in /usr/ports/sysutils/cdrtools.  There I found all the
information I needed, including pointers to patches, so that SCSI emulation
would work with FreeBSD 4.7-release.  I am using it with a LITE-ON LTR-32123S
XS0R (that's what dmesg tells me) and it works very well for me.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith

http://www.math.missouri.edu/~stephen

atapicam on FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #1

Post by Simon Barne » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 22:46:34

Hello Mike,

Quote:> device   atapicam       # emulate ATAPI devices as SCSI ditto

> in my kernel conf.  Alas that is only available to the STABLE
> branch.  Is there a patch I can install for atapicam? Or do I
> have to jump tracks to the stable branch?

You could re-CVSup and just build the kernel - this should work, although it is
not recommented because the kernel and the user land applications might get out
of sync. But since your world is 4.7p1, and your kernel would be 4.7-STABLE,
there should[TM] not be any problem.

The safer way is to get the kernel patches from the site mentioned in the other
posting, but they are deprecated with the arise of some 4.7-STABLE.

HTH,
 Simon

P.S. Once have the patches or -STABLE, xcdroast works just fine!

Post by Mike Bueid » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 09:27:09

> On Sun, 05 Jan 2003 18:18:29 -0700

>>I thought I'd give xcdroast a try.  I found out I needed scsi
>>emulation.  I found I needed to set:

>>device   atapicam       # emulate ATAPI devices as SCSI ditto

>>in my kernel conf.  Alas that is only available to the STABLE
>>branch.  Is there a patch I can install for atapicam? Or do I
>>have to jump tracks to the stable branch?

> have a look at

> http://www.cuivre.fr.eu.org/~thomas/atapicam/

> were you should get the patches

> to patch, take a shell and enter

>  cd /usr/src/sys
>  patch < cam_xpt.c.diff
>  patch < atapicam-20020820.diff
>  patch < atapicam-STABLE-config-20020820.diff

> Check that the file /usr/src/sys/conf/files has been patched.  It should
> contain the lines
>   < dev/ata/atapi-all.c   optional atapicam
>   < dev/ata/atapi-cam.c   optional atapicam

> rebuild the kernel etc.

I applied the patches. I used the ones dated
20021030 as the site suggested.  Well, they didn't
take.  I got several in the reject file.

Was that because I didn't use the 20020820
patches?  I thought they'd be a bit more
depreciated.  So much for thinking:).

BTW, thanks for your help.  I am learning anyway.

atapicam on FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #1

Post by benn » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:09:07

Am Tue, 07 Jan 2003 17:27:09 -0700

> > On Sun, 05 Jan 2003 18:18:29 -0700

> >>I thought I'd give xcdroast a try.  I found out I needed scsi
> >>emulation.  I found I needed to set:

> >>device   atapicam       # emulate ATAPI devices as SCSI ditto

> >>in my kernel conf.  Alas that is only available to the STABLE
> >>branch.  Is there a patch I can install for atapicam? Or do I
> >>have to jump tracks to the stable branch?

> > have a look at

> > http://www.cuivre.fr.eu.org/~thomas/atapicam/

> > were you should get the patches

> > to patch, take a shell and enter

> >  cd /usr/src/sys
> >  patch < cam_xpt.c.diff
> >  patch < atapicam-20020820.diff
> >  patch < atapicam-STABLE-config-20020820.diff

> > Check that the file /usr/src/sys/conf/files has been patched.  It
> > should contain the lines
> >   < dev/ata/atapi-all.c   optional atapicam
> >   < dev/ata/atapi-cam.c   optional atapicam

> > rebuild the kernel etc.

> I applied the patches. I used the ones dated
> 20021030 as the site suggested.  Well, they didn't
> take.  I got several in the reject file.

> Was that because I didn't use the 20020820
> patches?  I thought they'd be a bit more
> depreciated.  So much for thinking:).

> BTW, thanks for your help.  I am learning anyway.

did you check that the file /usr/src/sys/conf/files has been patched.
that was why it didn't work for me, if I remember correctly (also 4.7
Release)

atapicam on FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #1

Post by Mike Bueid » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 17:18:45

Quote:

> did you check that the file /usr/src/sys/conf/files has been patched.
> that was why it didn't work for me, if I remember correctly (also 4.7
> Release)

Yes.  That's the one that didn't take.  I think my
old /usr/src/sys/conf/files file was a little
different than what the patch expected.  I had to
edit it by hand to make sure the new lines got in
there.

Anyway, I recompiled and everything works now.
xcdroast works great!  Again, thanks for your
help.  BTW, the 103002 files work fine so long as
the .../files is fixed.

atapicam on FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #1

Post by Dan Fost » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 17:19:41

Quote:

>Yes.  That's the one that didn't take.  I think my
>old /usr/src/sys/conf/files file was a little
>different than what the patch expected.  I had to
>edit it by hand to make sure the new lines got in
>there.

>Anyway, I recompiled and everything works now.
>xcdroast works great!  Again, thanks for your
>help.  BTW, the 103002 files work fine so long as
>the .../files is fixed.

Good tip, thanks. Only one question, though. Applying
this patch -- would it break future CVSup runs for
RELENG_4_7 (or RELENG_4_8)? That's the only thing that
I wonder about. Or if CVSup is smart enough to somehow
diff the two revisions? Or if it just overwrites with
what is expected? (I.e., you'd lose the patches)

-Dan

atapicam on FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #1

Post by Simon Barne » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 18:19:21

Hi Mike,

Quote:> Anyway, I recompiled and everything works now.
> xcdroast works great!  Again, thanks for your
> help.  BTW, the 103002 files work fine so long as
> the .../files is fixed.

Maybe you could send a patch for 'files' to the Maintainer of the patches, to
help those people running 4.7-RELEASE, where atapicam is not includes yet.

Simon

atapicam on FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #1

Post by Simon Barne » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 18:21:13

Hello Dan,

Quote:> Good tip, thanks. Only one question, though. Applying
> this patch -- would it break future CVSup runs for
> RELENG_4_7 (or RELENG_4_8)? That's the only thing that
> I wonder about. Or if CVSup is smart enough to somehow
> diff the two revisions? Or if it just overwrites with
> what is expected? (I.e., you'd lose the patches)

Unfortunatley the latter will happen. CVSup will complain that it does not know
the patched version of the files (md5 mismatch) and re-fetch the entire files.

But with atapicam you're lucky, as it's in 4.7-STABLE.

Simon

atapicam on FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #1

Post by Jason Bourn » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 21:11:09

[snip]

Quote:>         Suffice to say, I am extremely interested in hearing more on this
> subject. Any insights, experiences, information, etc would be highly
> appreciated! Good luck to you and I truly hope yours will work   -  :)

Greetings:

        Just in case anyone's interested: I discovered READ_BIG errors in my
messages. The onboard EIDE controller on my mobo was disabled as I am using
a Promise Ultra 100. Two hard drives are UDMA 100 on primary, and I had the
CDROMs on the secondary channel. Both CDROMs are EIDE and moving them to
the onboard controller and enabling it made everything start working fine.
I can now burn CDs and rip audio tracks. Happy happy joy joy!

-Jason

Post by mike bueid » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 10:54:20

 > Hi Mike,
 >
 >
 >>Anyway, I recompiled and everything works now.
 >>xcdroast works great!  Again, thanks for your
 >>help.  BTW, the 103002 files work fine so long as
 >>the .../files is fixed.
 >
 >
 > Maybe you could send a patch for 'files' to the
Maintainer of the patches, to
 > help those people running 4.7-RELEASE, where
atapicam is not includes yet.

 > Simon

I would if I really knew what I was doing.  I
could kind of tell what was wrong looking at
files.refuse.  Creating or editing the patch might
be a bit out of my league.

Mike

atapicam on FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #1

Post by Simon Barne » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:53:56

Quote:> > Maybe you could send a patch for 'files' to the
> > Maintainer of the patches, to
> > help those people running 4.7-RELEASE, where
> > atapicam is not includes yet.
> I would if I really knew what I was doing.  I
> could kind of tell what was wrong looking at
> files.refuse.  Creating or editing the patch might
> be a bit out of my league.

What about sending 'files.orig', 'files.refuse' and your edited 'files' to the
maintainer then? Just write 3 lines of explanation, and maybe are reference to
this thread, and I'm pretty sure he will incorporate it.

But this is just a suggestion, of course.

Regards,
 Simon

Post by Mike Bueid » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 06:11:39

>>>Maybe you could send a patch for 'files' to the
>>>Maintainer of the patches, to
>>>help those people running 4.7-RELEASE, where
>>>atapicam is not includes yet.

>>I would if I really knew what I was doing.  I
>>could kind of tell what was wrong looking at
>>files.refuse.  Creating or editing the patch might
>>be a bit out of my league.

> What about sending 'files.orig', 'files.refuse' and your edited 'files' to the
> maintainer then? Just write 3 lines of explanation, and maybe are reference to
> this thread, and I'm pretty sure he will incorporate it.

> But this is just a suggestion, of course.

> Regards,
>  Simon

It's been done.