sound card development

Post by tim » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00

hello,

i'm wondering what the status is on pci sound card development under
freebsd.

from my experience, there is currently nothing in the freebsd 3.2 kernel for
the sb pci 64 or the sb pci 128. We need the oss drivers for this.

anyone know what the prospects are?

cheers,

t.

sound card development

Post by Richard Tob » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>from my experience, there is currently nothing in the freebsd 3.2 kernel for
>the sb pci 64 or the sb pci 128. We need the oss drivers for this.

No, the SB PCI 128 works fine with a vanilla 3.2.

-- Richard

"The Internet is really just a series of bottlenecks joined by high
speed networks." - Sam Wilson

sound card development

Post by Jesus Monroy, J » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>hello,

>i'm wondering what the status is on pci sound card development under
>freebsd.

>from my experience, there is currently nothing in the freebsd 3.2 kernel for
>the sb pci 64 or the sb pci 128. We need the oss drivers for this.

>anyone know what the prospects are?

    We are doing development also, but are bogged down
    by retarded actions either in core or hackers.

    Everytime sound gets operational, some dunder
    fsck is up.

    Tell him, I sent you.

--
If you have to read the docs, it's broken.
I hate making mistakes.

1. Sound Card Help: ALSA driver, ESSOLO 1938 PCI Sound Card

I actually got pretty far into this, but can't make a peep come out of the
speakers (I just had a horrible thought - speakers are plugged in and turned
on).

Got ALSA Drivers, utilities, and library files, did standard configure, make,
make install for each.
In a console window under KDE, did the following:
1. insmod soundcore - got nothing back, so I assume that worked.
2. ran the snddevices script - it happily reported making a ton of devices.
3. Edited my etc/modules.conf to the following

alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-es1938
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

4. ran modprobe snd-card-es1938 - got nothing back, so I assume that worked as
well.

5. I tried a couple of the tools available under the "multimedia" option of the
KDE menu - none of them can access the output dev. I tried the chmod, still no
joy. When I run /utils/alsasound start, it reports that the driver is already
running. I postulate that may be so, but would like to confirm my hypothesis by
actually hearing something from the speakers. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

2. What do these functions do?

3. Possible Faqs on Sound cards <I have read the Sound card How 2>

4. How much mem???

5. installing linux

6. Sound: Replace beep with other sound thru pc speaker/sound card?

7. dual adsl

8. ??: `cat sound.au >/dev/audio` Noisy After New Sound Card Installed??

9. Sound sounds terrible in SDOOM with a Reveal Card ...

10. Sound Player through Sound Card?

11. how to set up a sound blaster 16 sound card and a modem for dial-in

12. VIA 82C686 sound card - 16bit sound