MySQL failure

Post by Jonathan Car » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 02:50:00

I have recently installed the MySQL client/server from the ports collection.
I'm running FreeBSD 4.3. Now, if I try to connect to the database, I get

"ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)"

and then

"Aug 30 18:01:26 vision pw: _secure_path: cannot stat
/var/db/mysql/.login_conf: Permission denied"

in my messages log file. I've checked my /etc/hosts file for the localhost
entry and the file permissions for the mysql user/group. I'm connected via
ssh over the internet, not sat at the terminal.

This is my first attempt at using MySQL, so I have no experience. Can anyone
help or point me to an installation guide?!

Cheers,
Jon

1. Host name on my SUSE Linux causing failure in starting MySQL

Hello all,

I suck at Linux and I have got a problem now, which I'm sure is very simple.
I need to start MySQL on my SuSe Linux (most recent version) but it won't
start 'cause it says it can't resolve current address or localhost. Well,
when I use hostname it returns a string with contains a type of hexadecimal
address, but I'm sure that MySQL doesnt recognize that as a valid address...
By the way, resolveip "localhost" works and returns 127.0.0.1.

Is there a way to make my SuSe Linux's hostname return 127.0.0.1 or
localhost or something that would work with my MySQL installation?

Thanks for any help,

-----
Guillaume

2. Access Control List (acls) does Solaris have them??

3. Mysql installation failure

4. Linux with ISDN

5. Apache / PHP4 / MySql Problem - Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock'

6. Shared Lib Question (ISC)

7. start mysql database as mysql instead of root

8. Remove a 4000 directory

9. Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'

10. mysql with c, cant find declaration of mysql-functions...

11. Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'

12. mySQL: where is mysql-server.sh?

13. Mysql and Mysql.pm