How to create a bootable CD with the install floopy disk image(s)?

How to create a bootable CD with the install floopy disk image(s)?

Post by Zeni » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 06:39:52

Many of the newer systems we're building don't have floopy disks installed
at all, making Internet installs of FreeBSD and OpenBSD problematic.  For
FreeBSD I've been using the ISO images, but it's a big download and most of
it I won't end up installing anyway.  For OpenBSD I'm SOL AFAIK and find
myself borrowing a floopy from another machine just for the install.

What I'd like to do is burn the standard boot floopy images to a CDR and
make it bootable.  Is this possible/easy/take a ton of rework?

On a similar note, I think in the modern day and age it might be nice for
both FreeBSD and OpenBSD to offer "boot ISO" images next to the boot floopy
images.  I don't think I have a machine left with an ISA slot and I doubt
I'll have any at all with a floopy drive before long.

Any ideas?  TIA

--

BSD:  A psychoactive drug, popular in the 80s, probably developed at UC
Berkeley or thereabouts.  Similar in many ways to the prescription-only

Post by Frédéric Hab » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 07:29:34

> Many of the newer systems we're building don't have floopy disks installed
> at all, making Internet installs of FreeBSD and OpenBSD problematic.  For
> FreeBSD I've been using the ISO images, but it's a big download and most of
> it I won't end up installing anyway.  For OpenBSD I'm SOL AFAIK and find
> myself borrowing a floopy from another machine just for the install.

> What I'd like to do is burn the standard boot floopy images to a CDR and
> make it bootable.  Is this possible/easy/take a ton of rework?

I build my own FreeBSD install CDRom, customized with the packages I
need. Basically :

On a machine were the whole sources are installed
cd /usr/src/release; make release (actually after modifiy the Makefile -
replacing cvs by cp) + in the R/cdrom/disc1 subdirectory where the
release has been generated : mkhybrid -l -L -r -R -v -o ../somefile -b
floppies/boot.flp -c floppies/boot.catalog . and then burn "somefile".
You'll get a bootable install CDRom. If you take a look to the packages
directory on the original FreeBSD install CD, you'll find out how to lay
your own if needed.
As for OpenBSD, I'm gonna give it a try soon : there a cdrom28.fs 2.8M
bootable floppy image in the distribution, but I'll have to workout the
exact layout of the CDRom, as I don't have an original (hard to get here
in France).

--

How to create a bootable CD with the install floopy disk image(s)?

Post by Marc Esp » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 12:28:02

Quote:>As for OpenBSD, I'm gonna give it a try soon : there a cdrom28.fs 2.8M
>bootable floppy image in the distribution, but I'll have to workout the
>exact layout of the CDRom, as I don't have an original (hard to get here
>in France).

Huh ? What's `secure ordering from Europe' for ? Takes under a week to
get a CD...

Post by Thomas Muelle » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:28:05

>Many of the newer systems we're building don't have floopy disks installed
>at all, making Internet installs of FreeBSD and OpenBSD problematic.  For
>FreeBSD I've been using the ISO images, but it's a big download and most of
>it I won't end up installing anyway.  For OpenBSD I'm SOL AFAIK and find
>myself borrowing a floopy from another machine just for the install.

>What I'd like to do is burn the standard boot floopy images to a CDR and
>make it bootable.  Is this possible/easy/take a ton of rework?

>On a similar note, I think in the modern day and age it might be nice for
>both FreeBSD and OpenBSD to offer "boot ISO" images next to the boot floopy
>images.  I don't think I have a machine left with an ISA slot and I doubt
>I'll have any at all with a floopy drive before long.

>Any ideas?  TIA
>--

Apple seems to be leading the way with computers having no floppy drive.  Most
new Intel/compatible PCs include 1.44 MB floppy drive, as far as I can see,
though there are some stripped-down "legacy-free" PCs.  Considering how low the
price for a floppy drive, I can't see any good reason not to have one.  For the
new computer I am thinking of buying, I am considering the possibility of an
LS-120 drive: 120 MB with the ability to read/write 1.44 MB and 720 KB
diskettes.

Considering that some boot images > 1.44 MB, I would like to be able to make a
boot disk on higher-capacity removable media, such as LS-120, Zip, Jaz, MO, or
CD-R or CD-RW.  Or boot from an image file on the hard disk, as Linux can be
booted from DOS with LOADLIN.  This would be preferable to needing three
diskettes to boot, as is done for installing or repairing OS/2 Warp 4.

Post by Zeni » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 06:35:31

:>Many of the newer systems we're building don't have floopy disks installed
:>at all, making Internet installs of FreeBSD and OpenBSD problematic.  For
:>FreeBSD I've been using the ISO images, but it's a big download and most of
:>it I won't end up installing anyway.  For OpenBSD I'm SOL AFAIK and find
:>myself borrowing a floopy from another machine just for the install.
        >snip<

        And more power to them, IMHO.

: Most new Intel/compatible PCs include 1.44 MB floppy drive, as far as I
: can see, though there are some stripped-down "legacy-free" PCs.

        We typically build our low and mid level machines from separate
        components.  Until you start approaching the $5k range or such (eg,
        intended for server use), pretty much all prebuilt venders offer
        junk.

: Considering how low the price for a floppy drive, I can't see any good
: reason not to have one.

        Another piece to go wrong (reliability). -I've had machines refuse
        to boot because of a failing floppy drive.  I've also had more
        floopy drives go bad then all other hardware put together with
        issues from simply not reading to shorting out the p/s and frying
        the mb.

        Another method to gain access to the system (security).  If someone
        untrusted has physical access to the machine, you've already got big
        problems, but no need to hand them a key just because they made it
        to the castle gates.

: For the new computer I am thinking of buying, I am considering the
: possibility of an LS-120 drive: 120 MB with the ability to read/write 1.44
: MB and 720 KB diskettes.

        Currently, the only removable media I've found a use for are CDR/RW,
        and it has been that way for quite a while (years).  OpenBSD
        installs are the only things I can think of (thus this thread); I
        honestly can't remember the last time I used a floppy disk that
        wasn't for an OpenBSD install.

        I do use Zip drives, but only on the security monitoring systems
        (tripwire databases, etc).

: Considering that some boot images > 1.44 MB, I would like to be able to
: make a boot disk on higher-capacity removable media, such as LS-120, Zip,
: Jaz, MO, or CD-R or CD-RW.

        CD-R, CD-RW, and Zip can be booted. -Zip is easy, just use dd and
        the 2.88 floopy image like it was a big floppy.

: Or boot from an image file on the hard disk, as Linux can be booted from
: DOS with LOADLIN.  This would be preferable to needing three diskettes to
: boot, as is done for installing or repairing OS/2 Warp 4.

        IOW, forget floopies exist and use a modern media format.  You've
        just detailed why floopy drives are almost completely pointless in
        this day and age, thanks. :-)

--

BSD:  A psychoactive drug, popular in the 80s, probably developed at UC
Berkeley or thereabouts.  Similar in many ways to the prescription-only
medication called "System V", but infinitely more useful. (Or, at least,
more fun.)  The full chemical name is "Berkeley Standard Distribution".

How to create a bootable CD with the install floopy disk image(s)?

Post by Russell Selp » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 13:18:42

For OpenBSD, I've had good luck with using the floppy images as "Eltorito
boot images."  (Don't ask me what that *really* means-- I just read the man
pages.)  In a directory with the cdrom28.fs file, and nothing else, do this:

mkisofs -b cdrom28.fs -o /tmp/cdrom28.fs.iso .

Then use your favorite cd burning program to burn that iso image.

If you want, you can retreive the one I built from
http://www.selph.org/OpenBSD/cdrom28.fs.iso

-Russ Selph

> Many of the newer systems we're building don't have floopy disks installed
> at all, making Internet installs of FreeBSD and OpenBSD problematic.  For
> FreeBSD I've been using the ISO images, but it's a big download and most of
> it I won't end up installing anyway.  For OpenBSD I'm SOL AFAIK and find
> myself borrowing a floopy from another machine just for the install.

> What I'd like to do is burn the standard boot floopy images to a CDR and
> make it bootable.  Is this possible/easy/take a ton of rework?

> On a similar note, I think in the modern day and age it might be nice for
> both FreeBSD and OpenBSD to offer "boot ISO" images next to the boot floopy
> images.  I don't think I have a machine left with an ISA slot and I doubt
> I'll have any at all with a floopy drive before long.

> Any ideas?  TIA

1. help- create a bootable floopy disk

Hi,

I am running redhat linux 4.1 (linux kernal 2.0.27). I tried to
create a bootable floppy disk using the following commands:

dd if=/boot/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0

When I booted the system uing this floppy disk, I got the following
error message:

VFS: Cannot open root device 08:02
Kernal Panic: VSF: Unable to mount root fs on 08:02.

Can any one out there help me with this?

--

Xingde

Dept of Physics and Astronomy   TEL: 215-898-8260 (Phys)
Dept of Biochem and Biophys          215-898-3296 (Med)
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104          FAX: 215-898-2010

2. Video Capture, TV viewing @home Question

3. Trouble creating bootable CD from YDL's iso image

4. How to burn a copy of Mandrake Bootable cd 1?

5. How do i create a Bootable floopy for Solaris 2.6

6. IP alias and portfw

7. Unable to create Bootable CD using RedHat9 ISO images...

8. Compiling WU-FTP

9. Creating a bootable image from Linux install

10. Bootable Floppy bin image to bootable CD?

11. Make a DOS bootable floppy-disk/image bootable from Linux?

12. bootable CD (El Torito) using hard drive disk image

13. creating a bootable redhat install CD