Help - 386 & AHA-1542B ?

Post by Nick Say » Mon, 14 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Just tried to install 2.2.1 for a friend. He has a cable modem that
only gives him 1 IP address, so I was going to take some cheap
hardware and make a NAT box for him.

Using 2.2.1-RELEASE boot floppy from 'newer' directory.

386DX-25 w/8M of RAM.
VGA mono cheap card
2 3C509Bs, only one of them in use during install, of course
AHA-1542B

Took care to insure that all the hw was configured not to step on each
other, PNP disabled on the Ethernet cards, etc.

It would make it various percentages through loading bin, then it
would panic with some indication of disk corruption. Either 'dir bad'
or 'freeing free block' or some such.

This same hardware was working just fine at a friend of mine's house who
was using it for an ISDN router (he upgraded the hardware on his so that
his FreeBSD machine could do more work for him). The only difference was
that there he was using an IDE drive and controller, and had only one
3c509 card (but only one was active during the install).

I suspect that the 1542B DMA was overtaxing the motherboard, but another
possibility is that the 1542B has problems under FreeBSD. Is anyone
using this (old) card successfully?

--

+1 408 249 9630, log in as 'guest' |

Help - 386 & AHA-1542B ?

Post by Brian Some » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Just tried to install 2.2.1 for a friend. He has a cable modem that
> only gives him 1 IP address, so I was going to take some cheap
> hardware and make a NAT box for him.

> Using 2.2.1-RELEASE boot floppy from 'newer' directory.

> 386DX-25 w/8M of RAM.
> VGA mono cheap card
> 2 3C509Bs, only one of them in use during install, of course
> AHA-1542B

> Took care to insure that all the hw was configured not to step on each
> other, PNP disabled on the Ethernet cards, etc.

> It would make it various percentages through loading bin, then it
> would panic with some indication of disk corruption. Either 'dir bad'
> or 'freeing free block' or some such.

> This same hardware was working just fine at a friend of mine's house who
> was using it for an ISDN router (he upgraded the hardware on his so that
> his FreeBSD machine could do more work for him). The only difference was
> that there he was using an IDE drive and controller, and had only one
> 3c509 card (but only one was active during the install).

> I suspect that the 1542B DMA was overtaxing the motherboard, but another
> possibility is that the 1542B has problems under FreeBSD. Is anyone
> using this (old) card successfully?

I used to, but eventually the card died.  I'd be very surprised if there
were any problems with this card.  Perhaps one of the SIMMs in the box
is bad ?  You could try disabling the cache too.

--

      <http://www.awfulhak.org>

Help - 386 & AHA-1542B ?

Post by J Wuns » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I suspect that the 1542B DMA was overtaxing the motherboard, but another
> possibility is that the 1542B has problems under FreeBSD. Is anyone
> using this (old) card successfully?

I'm even using a 1540A, does this also count? :-)

Make sure to run it at 5 MB/s DMA speed.  That's a jumper option on
the 1540A/B.  Make also sure the ISA ain't clocked at a wrong rate, it
must be ~ 8 MHz.

--
cheers, J"org

Help - 386 & AHA-1542B ?

Post by bob prohask » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> > possibility is that the 1542B has problems under FreeBSD. Is anyone
> > using this (old) card successfully?
> I used to, but eventually the card died.  I'd be very surprised if there
> were any problems with this card.  Perhaps one of the SIMMs in the box
> is bad ?  You could try disabling the cache too.

I'm using a 1542B as I write this 8-) Works fine, always has.
The suggestion to disable cache is a good one; some MBs don't
correctly handle cache.

bob

Help - 386 & AHA-1542B ?

Post by Nick Say » Sun, 20 Apr 1997 04:00:00

From the responses, it does appear as though I am about the only one in
the world with any problem with this card. :-(

This MB has no cache, aparently. Or at least no way to disable it.

I went a bit further in analysing the failure. It still panics during
the install. I tried using a different DMA channel, de-turboing,
moving the card to a different slot. No help.

It still panics with some disk-related problem, and when I reboot, go
into an emergency shell (from the install floppy, the kernel on the disk
is unbootable) and try to fsck, it's as if a 3 year old scribbled
nonsense all over the place. One time fsck even dumped core! So
_clearly_ DMA just is not working properly between this SCSI board
and the motherboard.

The card is jumpered for 5.0 MB/s DMA, there appears to be no way to
change the board's ISA clock that I could find. This board was
running FreeBSD last week with an IDE drive just fine.

*shrug* My friend is going to get a cheap IDE disk from a friend,
but I am bummed that I couldn't make this combination work.

--
Nick Sayer  http://www.kfu.com/~nsayer/ | Anita Hill then, Paula Jones now.
nsayer [at] quack [dot] kfu [dot] com   |

Help - 386 & AHA-1542B ?

Post by J.C. Archambe » Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:00:00

:>> possibility is that the 1542B has problems under FreeBSD. Is anyone
:>> using this (old) card successfully?

I was before I upgraded it to a BT-757S then later 2742A-Twin when I
found out the problems with the older S boards.

: I'm using a 1542B as I write this 8-) Works fine, always has.
: The suggestion to disable cache is a good one; some MBs don't
: correctly handle cache.

Actually, it's more of an issue of write back caching.  If the original
poster has an Am5x86 in the system then that would explain a lot.
--
/*                            | Spam violation - e-mail dumped...

*/

Help - 386 & AHA-1542B ?

Post by J Wuns » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> *shrug* My friend is going to get a cheap IDE disk from a friend,
> but I am bummed that I couldn't make this combination work.

Seems this board is really broken wrt. bus-master DMA.  Since DOS
doesn't use bus-master DMA ever (i think), it never got obvious
before.

--
cheers, J"org

1. Yggdrasil, AHA-1542B, NEC CD-ROM: Doesn't boot, Help!

I am having severe problems in installing the Yggdrasil "plug&play"
Linux CD-ROM, Summer 1994 version. Maybe someone on the net can give
hints? (I understand Yggdrasil would supply phone support, but from
Finland the cost would quickly be more than the price of the CD-ROM...)

My hardware:

Octec Jaguar motherboard with 486DLC, IIT math processor, 8Mb memory.
1.2Mb 5 1/4" A:-drive, 1.44Mb 3.5" B:-drive
Adaptec AHA-1542B SCSI controller (default setup: DMA 1, IRQ1)
Seagate ST-296N 80mb SCSI hard disk.
S3-based superVGA
  (At this point I should mention that the above combination DID work
  with a year-old SLS distribution, so it should not be entirely
  Linux-incompatible).
NEC 210 CD-ROM drive (the new item in my system).

I booted from the 1.2Mb floppy made from the supplied boot image on
the CD-ROM (copied it using another machine and rawrite), with the CD-ROM
in the drive.

All seems to go fine initially, it seems to find both the hard disk and
the CD-ROM drive. But soon things seem to foul up. Here are the
relevant-looking messages (copied by hand, so there may be some typing
errors):

MINIX-fs: unable to read superblock
EXT-fs: unable to read superblock
EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
MSDOS bread failed
UMSDOS Alpha 0.2
MSDOS bread failed
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev 0xb00, iso_blknum 16
CD-ROM request error: invalid device
unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at address 00000002
Oops: 0000
EIP: 0010:001b6679
<rest of the register dump elided>
process swapper (pid:1, process nr: 1, stackpage 0035f000)

After this a hard reset is needed.

I took the CD-ROM to the shop that sold it. they tested the
hardware and said it was OK.
I tried a different SCSI address. No use.
Disabled the processor and motherboard caches. No use.
Disconnected the hard drive. Didn't help.

Theories I have dreamed up:
AHA-1542B is too old to control a modern CD-ROM?
 (But some people in this newsgroup actually seem to recommend it
  over the newer Adaptecs!)
The Yggdrasil distribution does not like NEC?
 (do buy_a_cdrom(); while (yggdrasil_does_not_boot()); a bit expensive...)
Cabling problem
 (Unlikely: the CD-ROM seems to be detected and the Seagate hard drive
  works fine from MS-DOS. I have verified that both connectors in the
  cable work: the Seagate works in either connector. Unfortunately I
  cannot test, whether MS-DOS could access the drive for lack of suitable
  driver software, which I would prefer not to purchase - after all, the
  idea is getting rid of MS-LOSS...).
Use the source, Luke!
  (A bit hard, I have got to get the system running in order to be
  able to see it!)

I would like to hear from knowledgeable people and from any Yggdrasil
users with a hardware configuration even remotely similar to mine with
respect to the SCSI controller and CD-ROM. I'm on the verge of giving
up and purchasing Windows NT (heh, just kidding...)

--
Erkki Ruohtula     / Nokia Telecommunications Oy

(My private opinions, of course)

2. Open ports

3. AHA-1542B and Buslogic BT-948

4. What to upgrade my kernel to...

5. AHA-1542B/RedHat 4.0/1 install

6. What is crontab

7. SLS 1.05/AHA-1542B install hang

8. Linux partitioning problem (Fatal error during installation)

9. AHA-1542B, Linux (Red Hat or Slackware latest stable kernels) and DOS 6.22

10. 330: PAS 16 and boot from AHA-1542B(!)

11. SCSI errors with AHA-1542B and Seagate SN-3620N

12. Adaptec AHA-1542B Installation Problems

13. xcdplayer: AHA 1542B & Toshiba XM-3401 CD-ROM (Yes/No) ?