"Too Big" and "This Region cannot be used" msgs from install.

"Too Big" and "This Region cannot be used" msgs from install.

Post by Reg Cleme » Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Im trying to install FreeBSD 3.0 on a Pentium350 with two 6GB disks.
I really dont care WHERE I put it, its just that where ever I try
I get one of the two error messages listed in the Subject line.

Ive tried the 3rd (primary) partition on the 1st drive, the 1st (primary)
partition on the 2nd drive, nada.  The LBA stuff is working as far as
other OS are concerned so the whole drive(s) map to below 800 cyl.

Any and all ideas would be appreciated.

                                        Reg.Clemens

Post by Ted Sikor » Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Im trying to install FreeBSD 3.0 on a Pentium350 with two 6GB disks.
> I really dont care WHERE I put it, its just that where ever I try
> I get one of the two error messages listed in the Subject line.

> Ive tried the 3rd (primary) partition on the 1st drive, the 1st (primary)
> partition on the 2nd drive, nada.  The LBA stuff is working as far as
> other OS are concerned so the whole drive(s) map to below 800 cyl.

> Any and all ideas would be appreciated.

>                                         Reg.Clemens

Boot your machine with a Linux boot disk then run fdisk and make another
primary partition using #2. Your extended partition usually is #2 so
make it #3 instead. Use 165 for the file type(T) on the #2 freebsd
partition. It should be fine now. Use the FreeBSD boot manager too when
installing. It will automatically recognize the bootable partitions.
--
Ted Sikora

http://tsikora.tiac.net