Problems to install ports

Post by Laurent Breuillar » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi

I'have the 3.0 RELEASE, all is working (I think !) but I have a big
probleme with ports !!!

In the web site, I have seen an upgrade named 30upgrade.tgz to allow me
to get new ports from Web. Cool :)

But after install it with : pkg_add 30upgrade.tgz   , when I want to
install new ports (with make install after a tar of the new port), I
allways have this message :

===>  mysql-3.21.33 : Your system is too old to use this bsd.port.mk.
You need a fresh make world or an upgrade kit. Please go to
http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ or a mirror site and follow the
instructions.

please help me, I can't install any ports !!!

thanks

       Laurent Breuillard

Problems to install ports

Post by Andrew G. Bacch » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I use cvsup to upgrade my ports and source trees.  It is very easy to do
once you learn the steps.  I highly recommend trying it.  It will keep you
up-to-date.  Read 'man cvsup' and the handbook URL is:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html

> Hi

> I'have the 3.0 RELEASE, all is working (I think !) but I have a big
> probleme with ports !!!

> In the web site, I have seen an upgrade named 30upgrade.tgz to allow me
> to get new ports from Web. Cool :)

> But after install it with : pkg_add 30upgrade.tgz   , when I want to
> install new ports (with make install after a tar of the new port), I
> allways have this message :

> ===>  mysql-3.21.33 : Your system is too old to use this bsd.port.mk.
> You need a fresh make world or an upgrade kit. Please go to
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ or a mirror site and follow the
> instructions.

> please help me, I can't install any ports !!!

> thanks

>        Laurent Breuillard

1. Where and how to install non-ported software (non-ported extensions to ports, actually)?

Some programs provide for extensions in the form of scripts or data
files.  One example is Emacs where one can install own Lisp
extensions, another example is Perl with its add-on modules.

What is the customary way to install such software such that the ports
mechanism and the own extensions don't step on each other's toes?

Alternatives which come to my mind:

(1) Install own extensions in right directory in /usr/local.

    This has the problem that subsequent ports installations might
    delete own files.  Suppose I take my Emacs site-lisp directory and
    put it in /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp, then a subsequent
    install of, say, Ispell will install a Lisp file there which might
    well delete one of my own.

(2) Install own extensions in some other dir and tell the program to
    use those.

    This appears to be a good solution but it is clumsy.  Do you use
    this solution and what directory do you use?

(3) Install two copies of each such program: one from the ports
    collection in /usr/local, where only ports go and another one
    somewhere else.

    This is duplicated effort.  Nevertheless, it has some appeal.  Do
    you use it, what directory?

kai
--
I like _ b_ o_ t_ h kinds of music.

2. Kernel Messages

3. Problem adding tty port using 128 Port Async Adapter with 16 port Async Node

4. LinuxLand-Online Linux Support

5. What is the least painful way to install ports on system without /usr/ports directory?

6. Search Engine support for a Japanese site

7. Problem installing MC port

8. (Q) constant traffic as seen by tcpdump

9. Licq 1.0.2 install via Ports problems

10. Install a ports through nfs, mtree problem

11. Problem installing openssh port

12. Problems Installing Ports that depend on X. (newbie question?)