Can I compile FreeBSD kernel on Linux machine?

Can I compile FreeBSD kernel on Linux machine?

Post by Arcady Genki » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

Subj.? I've just installed FreeBSD on an i486 and kernel compilation
takes forever. I have a PII workstation running Linux, that hopefully
can speed the things up.

--
Arcady Genkin
"... without money one gets nothing in this world, not even a certificate

Post by n.. » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

> Subj.? I've just installed FreeBSD on an i486 and kernel compilation
> takes forever. I have a PII workstation running Linux, that hopefully
> can speed the things up.

1. You're asking the wrong group.
   This is an comp.os.linux.* issue.

2. What a blasphemous concept.

If you want to speed up kernel compilation, drop another drive in the
P-II, install FreeBSD, config and compile the kernel then move it to the
i486 box.  That's the best solution.  Another solution would be to drop
in a CPU upgrade with an Am5x86/P75 CPU if you're running a lower end
i486.
--

JCA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Can I compile FreeBSD kernel on Linux machine?

Post by Ben Howar » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

In theory yes, so as long you have the correct version of GCC...however,
you're lucky that somebody hasn't stoned you for asking the question here.

> Hi!

> Subj.? I've just installed FreeBSD on an i486 and kernel compilation
> takes forever. I have a PII workstation running Linux, that hopefully
> can speed the things up.

> --
> Arcady Genkin
> "... without money one gets nothing in this world, not even a certificate
> of eternal blessedness in the other world..." (S. Kierkegaard)

--
"Try not.  Do.  Or do not.  There is no try."    -Yoda
"I'd rather kiss a wookiee"        - Leia

Post by Donn Mille » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> In theory yes, so as long you have the correct version of GCC...however,
> you're lucky that somebody hasn't stoned you for asking the question here.

And you'd need the full kernel sources.  Also, you'd need pmake, as well
as the BSD make headers, such as bsd.kern.mk.  And you'd probably need to
cross-compile in FreeBSD format.

Donn

Post by n.. » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>> In theory yes, so as long you have the correct version of
>> GCC...however, you're lucky that somebody hasn't stoned you for
>> asking the question here.

I did already in e-mail.  As a typical Linux (or Lummox as I prefer to
refer to them as) user, they don't understand reality or the logistics
involved in making such a thing a reality.  It's this mentality and the
chaos involved in the Linux movement that turns my nose at them.

Quote:> And you'd need the full kernel sources.  Also, you'd need pmake, as
> well as the BSD make headers, such as bsd.kern.mk.  And you'd
> probably need to cross-compile in FreeBSD format.

Let's not forget FreeBSD config ported to Linux.
--

JCA