AIC-7896 trouble

Post by Thanos Siapera » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm having severe trouble installing FreeBSD 3.4 in a Pentium-III, 600
MHZ, 256 MB RAM with an
ADAPTEC AIC-7896 on-board SCSI adapter. After booting from diskette, and
resolving the conflicts from the visual menu,writing and quitting, it
goes on like this:

Waiting for 15 seconds for SCSI devices.
panic: ahc2 sequencer parity error at seqaddress = 0x49 ( or 0x162)

Whatever could be wrong?? All help appreciated...

Thanos Siaperas

PS.
I also tried installing from diskettes other OSes like Redhat and
SuSE linux, also to no avail. Do I have a hardware problem ? Thanks.

AIC-7896 trouble

Post by James C. Owen » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Hello,

>I'm having severe trouble installing FreeBSD 3.4 in a Pentium-III, 600
>MHZ, 256 MB RAM with an
>ADAPTEC AIC-7896 on-board SCSI adapter. After booting from diskette, and
>resolving the conflicts from the visual menu,writing and quitting, it
>goes on like this:

>Waiting for 15 seconds for SCSI devices.
>panic: ahc2 sequencer parity error at seqaddress = 0x49 ( or 0x162)

>Whatever could be wrong?? All help appreciated...

>Thanos Siaperas

>PS.
>I also tried installing from diskettes other OSes like Redhat and
>SuSE linux, also to no avail. Do I have a hardware problem ? Thanks.

I don't think the 7890 series U2W chips can use the same driver code
as the earlier 78xx series non-U2W, and I'm not sure if the drivers
provided for 3.4 have multimode support to be able to support the 7890
series.

What is happening is that the traditional 78xx series drivers are
being used, and they don't work with the newer 7890 series. (At least
that is my best guess.)

Just to make sure that you don't have a cable problem... what is your
current cable and SCSI device configuration?

I'll have to do some research to find out what is going on with
AIC789x series SCSI sequencer support in Linux and get back to you.

R/

James C. Owens

WinNT 4.0 Server (Bld 1381: SP 6) Super P6DBU 2xPII 400 MHz 256 MB RAM
SuSE Linux 6.1 (kernel 2.2.7) Tyan S1563D 2xP55C 166 MHz 192 MB RAM

AIC-7896 trouble

Post by Alexey Koptsevic » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I had similar problem. It is turned out, that it was due to
hardware conflict of the first channel SCSI adapter and ISA network card.
They were on the same IRQ, but visual menu reported no conflicts.
Kernel booted, but issued (another, not yours) error messages when come to
probing SCSI devices. I reset IRQ jumper on the card, let I/O port
untouched (0x300), but corrected it in the visual menu. In that case
kernel booted, but the whole box immediately reset, when come to probing
SCSI devices :) OK, I reset I/O jumper too (to default value 0x280), and
now all goes perfect...

All the best,
Alexey

Quote:> Waiting for 15 seconds for SCSI devices.

Post by Thanos Siapera » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I had similar problem. It is turned out, that it was due to
> hardware conflict of the first channel SCSI adapter and ISA network card.
> They were on the same IRQ, but visual menu reported no conflicts.

There was also a SCSI 7856T card on a PCI-66 slot, where an ULTRAPLEX CD was
connected.
After un-plugging the card, the installation continued succesfully, the
adaptor was recognized.
There was probably some conflict which would have to change via a Setup
Utility from the CDROM accompanying the motherboard (L440GX+). Since it will
soon be possible to connect the
CDRM to the on-board adaptor, I skipped this phase, and can't say for 100%
what exactly was wrong.
   Nonetheless, FreeBSD does apparently support U2W SCSI adaptors.
 Thanks for your replies,

Regards,
Thanos Siaperas
Network Operations Center
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Hellas

AIC-7896 trouble

Post by James C. Owen » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>> I had similar problem. It is turned out, that it was due to
>> hardware conflict of the first channel SCSI adapter and ISA network card.
>> They were on the same IRQ, but visual menu reported no conflicts.

>There was also a SCSI 7856T card on a PCI-66 slot, where an ULTRAPLEX CD was
>connected.
>After un-plugging the card, the installation continued succesfully, the
>adaptor was recognized.
>There was probably some conflict which would have to change via a Setup
>Utility from the CDROM accompanying the motherboard (L440GX+). Since it will
>soon be possible to connect the
>CDRM to the on-board adaptor, I skipped this phase, and can't say for 100%
>what exactly was wrong.
>   Nonetheless, FreeBSD does apparently support U2W SCSI adaptors.

That's good news... lets hope Linux support is there too, since I plan
on upgrading my Linux box soon.

R/

James C. Owens

WinNT 4.0 Server (Bld 1381: SP 6) Super P6DBU 2xPII 400 MHz 256 MB RAM
SuSE Linux 6.1 (kernel 2.2.7) Tyan S1563D 2xP55C 166 MHz 192 MB RAM

1. Solaris 7 x86 and AIC-7896 Troubles!

Help!

Can anyone point me in the right direction in
installing Solaris 7 on a
dual PII motherboard with a built-in AIC-7896 SCSI controller?
I downloaded patch 107867-02 and the installation is successful,
but the machine won't complete the boot
afterwards. (I have also used
107573-06 in the past with the same results.)

There seems to be lots of traffic about U2 controllers.
Has anyone been successfull with this type of controller?

TIA,
James Halbert

2. Q: RH5.0 & Netscape font corruption

3. RH7.1 & AIC-7896

4. USB Gadget framework (0/6)]

5. Problems with L440GX+ MB and AIC-7896

6. How do I?

7. Kernel 2.4.7 does not boot due a problem involving Adaptec AIC-7896 SCSI

8. Good Cheap SCSI for Linux

9. RedHat 7.1& AIC-7896

10. AIC 7896

11. Adaptec AIC 7896 SCSI