Zugriff von LINUX aus auf FREEBSD ?

Post by Steffen Ke?le » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 05:55:21

Hallo erst mal ! Wer kann mir helfen ? Auf meinem PC laufen mehrere
Betriebssysteme (WIN ME, SUSE LINUX, FREEBSD, QNX, BEOS). Nun wollte ich
wissen, wie ich von LINUX aus auf eine FREEBSD-Partition (UFS-SYSTEM)
zugreifen kann (lesen / schreiben). Ich wollte ein Backup von FreeBSD
machen. Fr jede Hilfe bin ich dankbar.

Post by John Nielse » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 06:55:38

> Hallo erst mal ! Wer kann mir helfen ? Auf meinem PC laufen mehrere
> Betriebssysteme (WIN ME, SUSE LINUX, FREEBSD, QNX, BEOS). Nun wollte ich
> wissen, wie ich von LINUX aus auf eine FREEBSD-Partition (UFS-SYSTEM)
> zugreifen kann (lesen / schreiben). Ich wollte ein Backup von FreeBSD
> machen. Fr jede Hilfe bin ich dankbar.

Hello-

This is pretty much an english-only newsgroup.  Be sure to check out
de.comp.os.unix.bsd, though.

For multi-platform backups I'd suggest making .tar archives on a FAT32
partition.  I'm not sure about QNX, but all of the other OSes you mention
can read and write to FAT32 without any trouble at all.  The tar archive
allows you to preserve permissions and so forth within the file.

JN

--
Remove pig-latin to reply by e-mail

Zugriff von LINUX aus auf FREEBSD ?

Post by Wim Kaptey » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 17:50:31

I am very interested too, if one can tell me how to connect to a ufs
partition frm linux (be it red-hat, suse or whatever)

i have searched a little bit and not found soemthing that can help me
achieve this (like you have ntfs capabilities in linux now, i would like to
have ufs capabilities in linux....)
wim

Post by Donn Mille » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 20:20:34

> I am very interested too, if one can tell me how to connect to a ufs
> partition frm linux (be it red-hat, suse or whatever)

> i have searched a little bit and not found soemthing that can help me
> achieve this (like you have ntfs capabilities in linux now, i would like to
> have ufs capabilities in linux....)

Glad you asked.  First, you need BSD partition support:

filesystems->partition types->BSD Disklabel (FreeBSD partition tables
support)

filesystems->UFS file systems support

I'd recommend read-only, as write support can potentially do bad things.

dmesg | grep bsd

to find out which FreeBSD partitions are recognized by Linux.  Example:

bsd: <p4 p5 p6 p7 ...>

The second entry is the "b" partition, which is FreeBSD's swap partition,
so don't try to mount that.  Conversely, don't try to run mkswap on
/dev/hda4, as that's your FreeBSD root partition, and will render your
FreeBSD system unbootable.  To mount your root paritition, given this
example:

mount /dev/hda4 /mnt -o ufstype=44bsd,ro

etc.

Zugriff von LINUX aus auf FREEBSD ?

Post by Wim Kaptey » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 23:12:31

do you mean you have to add something to the kernel configuration and
recompile?

or is an entry in the fstab file like the one below sufficient?

regards Wim

> > I am very interested too, if one can tell me how to connect to a ufs
> > partition frm linux (be it red-hat, suse or whatever)

> > i have searched a little bit and not found soemthing that can help me
> > achieve this (like you have ntfs capabilities in linux now, i would like
> > have ufs capabilities in linux....)

> Glad you asked.  First, you need BSD partition support:

> filesystems->partition types->BSD Disklabel (FreeBSD partition tables
> support)

> filesystems->UFS file systems support

> I'd recommend read-only, as write support can potentially do bad things.

> dmesg | grep bsd

> to find out which FreeBSD partitions are recognized by Linux.  Example:

> bsd: <p4 p5 p6 p7 ...>

> The second entry is the "b" partition, which is FreeBSD's swap partition,
> so don't try to mount that.  Conversely, don't try to run mkswap on
> /dev/hda4, as that's your FreeBSD root partition, and will render your
> FreeBSD system unbootable.  To mount your root paritition, given this
> example:

> mount /dev/hda4 /mnt -o ufstype=44bsd,ro

> etc.

Zugriff von LINUX aus auf FREEBSD ?

Post by Udo Zallman » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 00:34:20

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 22:55:21 +0200

[Question of how to access a FreeBSD partition from Linux for backup
purposes]

You will have to make sure that the following are compiled into the
Linux kernel:

  - BSD partition support
  - UFS (preferably as a module)

On bootup, the Linux kernel will then recognize the BSD partitions
inside the standard partition that FreeBSD has allocated for them.
They can then be mounted and backed up.  To restore from Linux, you
will have to enable UFS write support and pray (write support is
experimental).

udo
--
mailto:$(echo bmV3c0Bob2VsbGVuZ2x1dC5kZQ== | mmencode -u)

Post by Donn Mille » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 00:36:57

> do you mean you have to add something to the kernel configuration and
> recompile?

> or is an entry in the fstab file like the one below sufficient?

Yep, you've got to make sure UFS and FreeBSD partition support is
compiled into the Linux kernel as I've shown.

Zugriff von LINUX aus auf FREEBSD ?

Post by Wim Kaptey » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 06:30:39

I found the BSD partition support, but the UFS support i could not find
within my suse 8.1 distro.
Wher do i find it (either using xconfig or menuconfig)?
thanks
Wim

Post by Donn Mille » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 10:38:48

> I found the BSD partition support, but the UFS support i could not find
> within my suse 8.1 distro.
> Wher do i find it (either using xconfig or menuconfig)?
> thanks

Look under "filesystems".

Zugriff von LINUX aus auf FREEBSD ?

i found it compiled as module support; which module to take then?

Post by Donn Mille » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:10:46

> i found it compiled as module support; which module to take then?

You shouldn't need to load it; the mount command will automatically load
it for you.  But the module is called ufs.o, I think.  So, if you want
to load it manually, do

modprobe ufs

But mount should load it for you, as a dependency.

>>>I found the BSD partition support, but the UFS support i could not find
>>>within my suse 8.1 distro.
>>>Wher do i find it (either using xconfig or menuconfig)?
>>>thanks

>>Look under "filesystems".

1. Sichern von WinNT oder Win95 Datein auf einer Linux-Partition

Hat das schon jemand probiert und funktioniert das ? :
                Sichern von Win95 oder WinNT-Daten mittels (g)tar auf FAT-formatierten Platten
                auf eine Linux-Platte und (teilweises oder komplettes) Rueckspielen
                dieser Daten auf Platten, die unter LINUX als VFAT (-t vfat) eingehaengt sind ?

Bernd

2. telnetd: ioctl(sctty): Invalid argument

3. stty ??? (von Linux auf HP700

4. slow network

5. Von Windows auf Linux zugreifen ?

6. UMSDOS system freezing where it would mount /proc HELP!!

7. Von Linux auf Windows zugreifen ??

8. Simple netmask question

9. Aus .avi mach .mpeg zur Erstellung von VCD

10. Installation von MKLinux DR3 auf neuem G3 geht nicht

11. Fehlermeldung von ppp / Modem legt wieder auf

12. help asccii code von remote auf solaris ausf├╝hren

13. Sorry (was: Linux auf IDE oder SCSI, DOS auf MFM-Platte ?)