rc and ulimit

Post by Neal Rigne » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

My apologies...Unformated(possibly longer than 78 character line) text
follows:

I recently brought up a 22G ccd drive.  Works great.

The only problem is that the box refused to boot.  It would crash in fsck
with out of memory.
A little research found that ulimit reported a max datasize of 16M.  fsck
wanted something like
20M.

I fixed the problem with a simple ulimit in rc.
Apparently, after the fscks clear, login.conf takes effect and usage limits
are applied correctly.
Before fsck, they are at a "default".

My question is:  is this a "bug", or have I broken something silently, and
it's going to bite me in the ass one night when I least expect it?

Thanks,

    -Neal

1. difference between /etc/rc.sysinit and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit ?

What is the difference between /etc/rc.sysinit and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit?
I am using Redhat 8. I did a diff on them and they are identical.
/etc/rc.sysinit is apparently a copy of /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit since it
says that it is that file, even though it's not (see below).

#!/bin/bash
#
# /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - run once at boot time

I want to change something in whichever of these scripts is run at
bootup, but I don't know which one gets run.

Thanks,
Russell

2. FTP and file timestamp question

3. which user does /etc/rc.d/rc.local / rc.sysinit run as?

4. TCP/IP Applications FAQ

5. SOLVED - Raid rc.0, rc.6 rc.S

6. Allow returning udp packets?

7. setrlimit (ulimit) bug? Cannot ulimit -c!

8. KDE/QT Library/path problem?

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. Trouble with /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit root mount

11. RH7.3: LVM & /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

12. call to ldconfig in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit question

13. 2.2.19 Debian no rc.d or rc.local ????!!!!!!