Adding another drive.

Post by GSM » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I am quite inexperienced in adding file systems etc. thus I am getting
hinged on space and am considering installing another drive.
Should this be the procedure:
1. via disklabel label disk
2. use newfs to create ufs partition and mount it

If I understand things correctly one cannot add anything to the existing
/usr or anything within the original file system.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanx in advance.
GM

Adding another drive.

Post by Kenneth Furg » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I am quite inexperienced in adding file systems etc. thus I am getting
> hinged on space and am considering installing another drive.
> Should this be the procedure:
> 1. via disklabel label disk
> 2. use newfs to create ufs partition and mount it

> If I understand things correctly one cannot add anything to the existing
> /usr or anything within the original file system.
> Any information would be appreciated.
> Thanx in advance.
> GM

  Use /stand/sysinstall to setup your new drive.  It's the easiest way.
Also, you can graft the filesystems on your new disk anywhere into your
existing filesystem you want.  You'll probably have to shuffle some stuff
around to clear up things further up the directory tree from your
soon-to-be-new mountpoint.  As an example, on my home machine, , I
initially installed my system with only /, and /usr.  As FreeBSD slowly
squeezed everything else out, I now have filesystems mounted on /, /var,
/usr, and /usr/local.  No problem.

- K.C.

Adding another drive.

Post by H. Ecke » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> If I understand things correctly one cannot add anything to the existing
> /usr or anything within the original file system.

Yes and no.  You can't grow a filesystem itself but what
you can do is take some directory (/usr/ports is a good example),
move its contents to a new disk (temporarily mounted in /mnt),
preferrably with something like

ROOT% cd /usr/ports; tar cf - . | tar xpf - -C /mnt             # copy data
ROOT% cd ..; mv ports old_ports         # to be safe, can be deleted later
ROOT% mkdir ports; chown root.wheel ports       # the same as before
ROOT% umount /mnt; mnt /dev/<insertname> /usr/ports
ROOT% vi /etc/fstab             # we want this mount on next boot, don't we?

A slightly different approach is this one:
Assume a /usr and a seperate /usr/local filesystem

ROOT% cd /usr tar cf - ports | tar xpf - -C /usr/local
ROOT% mv ports old_ports                        # see above
ROOT% ln -s /usr/local/ports /usr/ports

This way the data is at another place but the old name is still valid
and you don't even have to mount a new filesystem into its place.

Greetings,
                                Ripley
--
http://www.in-berlin.de/User/nostromo/

Adding another drive.

Post by donol » Mon, 16 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>I am quite inexperienced in adding file systems etc. thus I am getting
>hinged on space and am considering installing another drive.
>Should this be the procedure:
>1. via disklabel label disk
>2. use newfs to create ufs partition and mount it

>If I understand things correctly one cannot add anything to the existing
>/usr or anything within the original file system.
>Any information would be appreciated.
>Thanx in advance.
>GM
>According to the walnut creek manual sysinstall is used

1. Re. Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220 Re: Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220

Your system does not find the tape during boot phase. For IBM tapes normally
plug them, switch them on, boot up the system and AIX automatically
configures them.

The 220 uses other SCSI cabels than your 320 are they ok. Check the SCSI ID
of your tape - maybe you have other devices using the same ID. Run
'lscfg -v' to display all devices.

frank ;-)

| E-Mail: FRANVM3(KRAEMERF)                 - IBM VNET  "Yes, I'm one  |
| ======  IBMMAIL(DEIBM27S)                 - IBM-Mail   of those      |
|         DE.IBMX400.IBMMAIL.KRAEMER.KRAEME - X.400      stupid IBM    |

| Voice : +49-(0)611/776-364                                           |
| Mail  : Abraham-Lincoln Street 26, 6200 Wiesbaden, Germany           |
'----------------------------------------------------------------------'

2. automatic variables - which declaration is better in terms of performance?

3. added hard drive and zip drive stopped working

4. !! In need of help, a few questions (installation) !!

5. Need help adding tape drive

6. Re : npasswd problem

7. Adding a drive to a 7006 41T (bracket issue)

8. How to copy Linux system to new disk?

9. Adding SCSI drive

10. Adding hard drive makes Linux unbootable

11. How do I add a drive to the DMA blacklist?

12. Adding a drive...