RTSP over NAT?

Post by Russell Bornschlege » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Okay, this weekend I installed a second ethernet card, rebuilt the
kernel with (ipdivert) NAT support, and got NAT working. The whole
experience was actually less painful than I feared it might be, with
the worst problem being link errors when I disabled some-but-not-all
of the SCSI support in the kernel config (I went and put the SCSI
support back to clear it up).

I had originally not planned to put my Win95 * machine behind the
NAT ("another hop? more latency? you must be mad!") but any added
latency was lost in the noise, and Half-Life works fine, so behind the
NAT it goes.

The only thing that doesn't work is RTSP streaming (as implemented in,
for example, QuickTime 4). I assume this is because the RTSP server
"calls back" on a negotiated port and the NAT translator doesn't know
how to follow that negotiation.

So, my question is, can anyone tell me if there exists a NATD that
can pass RTSP, or if that's in the works for a future release?

THanks...

Russell B

RTSP over NAT?

Post by Stephen Wait » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> for example, QuickTime 4). I assume this is because the RTSP server
> "calls back" on a negotiated port and the NAT translator doesn't know
> how to follow that negotiation.

If the port truly is "negotiated" then you'll need a dedicated proxy (or
you are just SOL).  If, however, the port is "well-known", you may use
natd's redirect_port configuration option to get traffic to the
appropriate machine.

man natd

Good luck,
Steve

1. Apple RTSP/RTP Proxy

Hi NG,

is there anybody out there who've successfully setup the RTSP/RTP Proxy from
Apple ?

The Proxy from Apple can found here
http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/streaming/

If an Website openes a seperate Quicktime Player all works fine. If an
website use the Plugin and have a embedded quicktime player then the proxy
quits with "Segmentation Fault (core dumped)".

- Mandrake Linux 8.0, Kernel 2.4.7
- Internet Explorer 6, Quicktime 5.0

Any ideas ?

Thx. 4 help.-
Dirk.

2. new version of the starfire driver for 2.2.19pre

3. source for rtsp proxy

4. Need specs for older monitor

5. rtsp site

6. gzip

7. Nat to Nat?

8. Searching Multiple directories for a data file

9. RTSP/RTP Proxying in Linux??

10. Anybody knows RTSP (RT streaming protocol) implementations?

11. RTSP and ip masquerading

12. problem with rtsp using QuickTime server on Linux

13. RTSP Proxy Help