Hard disk info resource

Post by Chris Taylo » Sat, 19 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Any resources out there describing how to partition/format/mount
filesystems on hard drives on FreeBSD?

--Chris
www.christaylor.com

1. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

Simple.

1) create a lilo boot disk with lilo, and the kernel on it (email me if you
   need to know how to do this too)

2) install the new drive in the system, create a filesystem on it, and
   mount it on, say, /mnt

3) copy the filesystem over, making sure to preserve permissions, and
   exclude /mnt and /proc.  Some ways to do this are

cp -a -x / /mnt
        note that the -x means only stay on one filesystem, so if you
        normally have more than one filesystem mounted, you'll need to copy
        those over, too.

( cd / ; tar --atime-preserve -l -p --same-owmer -v -cf - / ) | ( cd /mnt ;
tar --atime-preserve -p --same-owner -xf - )
        but all as one line...

4) after veryfying everything looks good, you can remove the old system,
   reboot off of the boot disk, and re-install lilo on the new disk.

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-2 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!

2. high res laptops running Solaris.

3. How to lock the bad sectors on the hard disk without reformatting the hard disk !!??

4. Restricting Access on Aix 4.3.1

5. Ultra 5 IDE hard disks - can I use any PC hard disk?

6. TCP/IP with uCLinux on Coldfire

7. can we copy an installed Linux on a hard disk onto another hard disk

8. diald only connects using sl0

9. How to remove COMMITTED info from Hard disk?

10. Technical info about Apollo Hard disk controllers

11. Ultra ATA hard disks - info needed

12. Low level info on how to read hard disk

13. Can one do disk-to-disk copys with Sun hard disks?