Dialin Access

Post by Mark van Lo » Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Help!

I have setup a FreeBSD 2.1.5 box which has a modem for dialin access.

The modem is a Vfast Class 28.8

The com ports only have 8250 uarts.

I am using stty to set crtscts on the com ports.

In /etc/ttys I have set the getty to std.38400 for each com port. (No
changes have been made to /etc/gettytab) I have followed the section
in the handbook on setting up dialin access and am still having
problems.

My problem is this: I cannot connect unless I set the getty speed to
std.9600 in /etc/ttys, and force the modem to connect at 9600. This
will give me a login prompt. Any other speed (28.8, 14.4) yields
garbage.

I suspect that the problem is occurring because the speed between the
computer and modem is different from the speed that the modems
negotiate.

Can you shed any light on this problem? Changing the entry in
/etc/ttys to std.19200 and connecting at 14.4 hasn't helped either. I
would really like to take advantage of the faster speeds instead of
being limited to 9600baud.

Thanking you in anticipation.
Mark.

=============================
Mark van Loon

=============================

Dialin Access

Post by Brian Some » Wed, 06 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: Help!
:
: I have setup a FreeBSD 2.1.5 box which has a modem for dialin access.
:
: The modem is a Vfast Class 28.8
:
: The com ports only have 8250 uarts.
:
: I am using stty to set crtscts on the com ports.
:
: In /etc/ttys I have set the getty to std.38400 for each com port. (No
: changes have been made to /etc/gettytab) I have followed the section
: in the handbook on setting up dialin access and am still having
: problems.
:
: My problem is this: I cannot connect unless I set the getty speed to
: std.9600 in /etc/ttys, and force the modem to connect at 9600. This
: will give me a login prompt. Any other speed (28.8, 14.4) yields
: garbage.

Connect to your modem (from the local machine) at 57600 or 115200.
Say hello (via a couple of AT or ATZs).  Disconnect and set your getty
to the same speed.

The problem may be that your modem doesn't understand a DT speed of
19200 or 14400.

--

      <http://www.awfulhak.demon.co.uk/>
.

Dialin Access

Post by Michael Pee » Thu, 07 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> : Help!
> :
> : I have setup a FreeBSD 2.1.5 box which has a modem for dialin access.
> :
... snipe ...
> : My problem is this: I cannot connect unless I set the getty speed to
> : std.9600 in /etc/ttys, and force the modem to connect at 9600. This
> : will give me a login prompt. Any other speed (28.8, 14.4) yields
> : garbage.

> Connect to your modem (from the local machine) at 57600 or 115200.
> Say hello (via a couple of AT or ATZs).  Disconnect and set your getty
> to the same speed.

It is my understanding that freebsd doesnt't send any commands to modem,
so that the modem can autobaud to the serial port.  What I had to do is
as above and do a at&w to write configuration to the modem.  That way
the
modem would come up expecting the same baud rate as the one used when
you did the at&w, no need for modem to autobaud!

> The problem may be that your modem doesn't understand a DT speed of
> 19200 or 14400.

> --

>       <http://www.awfulhak.demon.co.uk/>
> Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour....
> .

Dialin Access

Post by Bob Shepar » Fri, 08 Nov 1996 04:00:00

If at all possible, lose the 8250s.  They were great in their day, but are
quite often unreliable for anything over 9600.  Also, your modem should
support separate DTE and connect speeds if properly configured.  Check your
modem settings.  It sounds like you have DCE=DTE set, which would cause
this problem.  In any case, if you don't upgrade to 16550 or better, you
will probably get a lot of garbage at DTE rates over 9600.

Good Luck!

> : Help!
> :
> : I have setup a FreeBSD 2.1.5 box which has a modem for dialin access.
> :
> : The modem is a Vfast Class 28.8
> :
> : The com ports only have 8250 uarts.
> :
> : I am using stty to set crtscts on the com ports.
> :
> : In /etc/ttys I have set the getty to std.38400 for each com port. (No
> : changes have been made to /etc/gettytab) I have followed the section
> : in the handbook on setting up dialin access and am still having
> : problems.
> :
> : My problem is this: I cannot connect unless I set the getty speed to
> : std.9600 in /etc/ttys, and force the modem to connect at 9600. This
> : will give me a login prompt. Any other speed (28.8, 14.4) yields
> : garbage.

> Connect to your modem (from the local machine) at 57600 or 115200.
> Say hello (via a couple of AT or ATZs).  Disconnect and set your getty
> to the same speed.

> The problem may be that your modem doesn't understand a DT speed of
> 19200 or 14400.

> --

>       <http://www.awfulhak.demon.co.uk/>
> Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour....
> .

Dialin Access

Post by Mark van Lo » Mon, 18 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Connect to your modem (from the local machine) at 57600 or 115200.
>Say hello (via a couple of AT or ATZs).  Disconnect and set your getty
>to the same speed.
>The problem may be that your modem doesn't understand a DT speed of
>19200 or 14400.

Brian,
Thanks for your help. I am now using a kermit script at boot time to
set the DTE speed.

Regards,
Mark.

=============================
Mark van Loon

=============================

1. Limiting dialin access.

    I have several modems attached to a SparcStation, running SunOS 4.1.3.

    I've replaced the standard getty with a getty clone called 'agetty'. Agetty
permits me to run an alternate login than /bin/login, and I interested in using
that capability, to restrict dialin access.

    Anyone know of a "login" clone that provides an easy way to control who can
actually log in?  I'm thinking along the line of netgroups, but anything
similar would suffice.

--

2. How to read output of a terminal?.

3. Dialin access, can not verify user/password

4. Linux

5. PPP Dialin access and NT logon scripts...

6. Network Security

7. How do I add a modem for dialin access

8. question on the use of the .netrc file

9. dialin access and accounting

10. Linux Dialin, Access the internet, assigning dynamic IP, Please Help

11. Dialin access problems.

12. Dialin access (using mgetty)

13. 1 * EQNtIACgz-Linux Dialin, Access the internet, assigning dynami c IP, Please Help