My first "Unix" was Xenix

Post by Matt Anderso » Sun, 10 Jun 2001 09:02:29

Way back in the 80's.
My first Xenix machine was a converted Radio Shack Model II
1 Mb Ram and you hooked up terminals via 9600 Baud Serial cables!
Oh, and I almost forgot, 8" Floppies!

Ok. The point of all that was to ask a question.
In Xenix there was a command that you could put in front of whatever
command you wanted to run that would tell you how long your command took
and various other stats about whatever command you just ran.

I can't for the life of me remember what that command was called.
Does FreeBSD have anything similar?

Also, has anyone else had trouble with smbfs after cvsuping their system?

Thanks!

Matt Anderson

My first "Unix" was Xenix

Post by Greg Shenau » Sun, 10 Jun 2001 09:06:54

> In Xenix there was a command that you could put in front of whatever
> command you wanted to run that would tell you how long your command took
> and various other stats about whatever command you just ran.
> I can't for the life of me remember what that command was called.
> Does FreeBSD have anything similar?

time(1)

Greg Shenaut

My first "Unix" was Xenix

Post by Mike Andre » Sun, 10 Jun 2001 09:30:30

: Ok. The point of all that was to ask a question.
: In Xenix there was a command that you could put in front of whatever
: command you wanted to run that would tell you how long your command took
: and various other stats about whatever command you just ran.

: I can't for the life of me remember what that command was called.
: Does FreeBSD have anything similar?

`man time`

: Also, has anyone else had trouble with smbfs after cvsuping their system?

No. Should I?

--
"It takes a million monkeys at typewriters to write Shakespeare, but
only a dozen monkeys at computers to run Network Solutions."

My first "Unix" was Xenix

Post by Mike Andre » Sun, 10 Jun 2001 09:38:12

: : Ok. The point of all that was to ask a question.
: : In Xenix there was a command that you could put in front of whatever
: : command you wanted to run that would tell you how long your command took
: : and various other stats about whatever command you just ran.

: : I can't for the life of me remember what that command was called.
: : Does FreeBSD have anything similar?

: `man time`

: : Also, has anyone else had trouble with smbfs after cvsuping their system?

: No. Should I?

Whoops! Turns out I _do_. Here's "dmesg -a" output:

Quote:> smbfs:
> link_elf: symbol iconv_open undefined
> smbfs:
> vfsload(smbfs)
> :
> Exec format error
> /smb_hp_c
> link_elf: symbol iconv_open undefined
> smbfs:
> vfsload(smbfs)
> :
> Exec format error
> /smb_win_c
> link_elf: symbol iconv_open undefined
> smbfs:
> vfsload(smbfs)
> :
> Exec format error
> /smb_win_d
> link_elf: symbol iconv_open undefined
> smbfs:
> vfsload(smbfs)
> :
> Exec format error
> /smb_win2_c

And here's a mount_smbfs command and the result:

> mount_smbfs: vfsload(smbfs): Exec format error

This showed up in /var/log/messages when I ran the mount_smbfs
command:

Quote:> Jun  8 19:33:38 mikea /kernel: link_elf: symbol iconv_open undefined

--
Censorship sucks^H^H^H^H^H is for your own good.

My first "Unix" was Xenix

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:59:40

Quote:>Way back in the 80's.
>My first Xenix machine was a converted Radio Shack Model II
>1 Mb Ram and you hooked up terminals via 9600 Baud Serial cables!
>Oh, and I almost forgot, 8" Floppies!

Wow!  1MB.  Most of the RS machines I had to work on had less than
that.  The RS-16 - the native model - shipped with 128K

Quote:>Ok. The point of all that was to ask a question. In Xenix there
>was a command that you could put in front of whatever command you
>wanted to run that would tell you how long your command took and
>various other stats about whatever command you just ran.

Other mentioned it - it is 'time'.

Coming to BSD after working in SysV arenas for years was like
coming home to the Xenix 1.x - which was almost Version 7.  The
Xenix 3 started doing downhill as it had a lot of System III in it.

Quote:>Also, has anyone else had trouble with smbfs after cvsuping their
>system?

Never.

--

My first "Unix" was Xenix

Post by Michael L Squir » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:32:34

>: Also, has anyone else had trouble with smbfs after cvsuping their system?

Yes.  I had problems when the system I built was significantly ( a few
days) older than the sources for smbfs.  These went away when I redid
the buildworld/buildkernel/installkernel/installworld/mergemaster
cycle and then immediately rebuilt samba and smbfs.

Mike Squires, who ran a RS 6000 with XENIX/68K as "sir-alan.UUCP" many
years ago.

My first "Unix" was Xenix

Post by Bill Vermilli » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:28:52

>>: Also, has anyone else had trouble with smbfs after cvsuping their system?

>Yes.  I had problems when the system I built was significantly ( a few
>days) older than the sources for smbfs.  These went away when I redid
>the buildworld/buildkernel/installkernel/installworld/mergemaster
>cycle and then immediately rebuilt samba and smbfs.
>Mike Squires, who ran a RS 6000 with XENIX/68K as "sir-alan.UUCP" many
>years ago.

That machine 'sir-alan.UUCP' rings a bell.

--

My first "Unix" was Xenix

Post by Matt Anderso » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:08:26

> Mike Squires, who ran a RS 6000 with XENIX/68K as "sir-alan.UUCP" many
> years ago.

Well, as long as we are digging up the past.  Way before the Internet as it
is today, I ran Sharp Resolutions BBS in the Santa Rosa, CA. area for many
years!

Boy, that was a lot of fun!

Matt Anderson

My first "Unix" was Xenix

Post by BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD frea » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 02:58:30

>>Way back in the 80's.
>>My first Xenix machine was a converted Radio Shack Model II
>>1 Mb Ram and you hooked up terminals via 9600 Baud Serial cables!
>>Oh, and I almost forgot, 8" Floppies!
> Wow!  1MB.  Most of the RS machines I had to work on had less than
> that.  The RS-16 - the native model - shipped with 128K

That was, AFIK, an addin boardset and ram to the Model 16, to give
it 68K capability, and sufficient ram and I/O to run a V7ish UNIX
(Xenix 1.0).  Ours had 768K, a VT100 term or two, two 8mb HD's,
and one Shugart 8 inch floppy drive.

I still have the boot disks to the critter, but the machine is long ago
gone into the machine dumpster in the sky.....  A VAX is better funtoyz,
these days.....(:+}}...  But, to think we used to run those critters
with 15mb or so of HD space.... not even possible, equivalently, today,
unless a picoBSD sort of thing applies.

Bob

My first "Unix" was Xenix

Post by Bill Vermilli » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 13:35:04

>>>Way back in the 80's.
>>>My first Xenix machine was a converted Radio Shack Model II
>>>1 Mb Ram and you hooked up terminals via 9600 Baud Serial cables!
>>>Oh, and I almost forgot, 8" Floppies!
>> Wow!  1MB.  Most of the RS machines I had to work on had less than
>> that.  The RS-16 - the native model - shipped with 128K
>That was, AFIK, an addin boardset and ram to the Model 16, to give
>it 68K capability, and sufficient ram and I/O to run a V7ish UNIX
>(Xenix 1.0).  Ours had 768K, a VT100 term or two, two 8mb HD's,
>and one Shugart 8 inch floppy drive.

The 16 was a 68K.  There was an add-in set to convert a II to a 16.
But you had those old ugly fat SS 8" drives instead of the thin-line
DS drives in the 16.

Quote:>I still have the boot disks to the critter, but the machine is long ago
>gone into the machine dumpster in the sky.....

I have a 16 [serial number in the 700 range] and a 6000 sitting on
a table across the room.  The 6K has the 16 memory board, and it
non-booting at the moment.  Need to pull the cards and reseat them.
Been meaning to do that for a year now, and archive some really old
8" floppies onto CD and then send these beasts on.

Quote:>A VAX is better funtoyz,

But takes a lot more juice.  Even my friends MicroVax was a power
hog.

Quote:>these days.....(:+}}...  But, to think we used to run those critters
>with 15mb or so of HD space.... not even possible, equivalently, today,
>unless a picoBSD sort of thing applies.

You could even run a leaf node on usenet on 15MB if you used quick
expires.  That was when we'd move 1MB a day, not per message :-)
I wound up putting an internal 70MB in, and for awhile was
consitantly in the top-500 usenet node/transport list - back when
that was doable. There were about 50,000 'servers' on the net then
and only a million or so users.  Fun days.