fbsd 3.3 install hangs

Post by WHS » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

L.S.

I tried to install fbsd 3.3 and the kernel hangs at:
ncr0: timeout nccb=0xc0c38000

and such messages keep going on. I've waited 20 minutes to see if i
could at least get through once, but no (I've disabled all conflicting
devices in the config section at the beginning just to make sure none of
the probes for such devices caused this).

What does this error message mean? How can I work around it? (btw, I
have no problems under obsd & linux)

(btw ncr0 = tekram dc390U ultra scsi (ncr875), devices are: device 2 =
pioneer DRU16s CDROM, device 3 = fujitsu M2513A2 640MB MO drive, device
4 = Philips CDD3600 cd rewriter).

Wouter

fbsd 3.3 install hangs

Post by Thorbj?rn Axelsso » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> L.S.

> I tried to install fbsd 3.3 and the kernel hangs at:
> ncr0: timeout nccb=0xc0c38000

> and such messages keep going on. I've waited 20 minutes to see if i
> could at least get through once, but no (I've disabled all conflicting
> devices in the config section at the beginning just to make sure none of
> the probes for such devices caused this).

> What does this error message mean? How can I work around it? (btw, I
> have no problems under obsd & linux)

> (btw ncr0 = tekram dc390U ultra scsi (ncr875), devices are: device 2 =
> pioneer DRU16s CDROM, device 3 = fujitsu M2513A2 640MB MO drive, device
> 4 = Philips CDD3600 cd rewriter).

I had the same problem when my disk was bad, so I just made new disks and
it worked!

regards

,----------------------------------------,

'----------------------------------------'

fbsd 3.3 install hangs

Post by WHS » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> > L.S.

> > I tried to install fbsd 3.3 and the kernel hangs at:
> > ncr0: timeout nccb=0xc0c38000

> > and such messages keep going on. I've waited 20 minutes to see if i
> > could at least get through once, but no (I've disabled all conflicting
> > devices in the config section at the beginning just to make sure none of
> > the probes for such devices caused this).

> > What does this error message mean? How can I work around it? (btw, I
> > have no problems under obsd & linux)

> > (btw ncr0 = tekram dc390U ultra scsi (ncr875), devices are: device 2 =
> > pioneer DRU16s CDROM, device 3 = fujitsu M2513A2 640MB MO drive, device
> > 4 = Philips CDD3600 cd rewriter).

> I had the same problem when my disk was bad, so I just made new disks and
> it worked!

What do you mean? The fbsd CD rom is bad? I know about the IDE boot
problem (but I booted from my SCSI CD) and I tried floppy booting just
in case (or were these floppy images bad on the CD?). Btw, I don't have
an SCSI HD!

Wouter

1. Can't install FBSD 3.3 with Promise Ultra33 IDE

DEC Celebris 590 (P90)
2 IDE on motherboard (CMD 640)
Promise Ultra33 PCI IDE bus master
CD-ROM on motherboard IDE #2
WD AC24300 on Promise IDE #1 (won't work on motherboard IDE)
FreeBSD 3.3 kernel & mfsroot floppies

With this configuration, when I try to install FreeBSD 3.3,
both the motherboard IDE and Promise IDE are detected by
the hardware probe.  The CD-ROM is detected.  The hard
disk is not detected.

I have tried to define wdc0 and wdc1 (with -c kernel config)
to match the wdc config lines for PCI IDE in the LINT kernel
config file.  I set port to 0 and irq to -1 (Is that the correct
translation of "irq ?" in LINT config?).  When I do this,
the Promise ports get detected correctly but the disk still isn't
detected.  I have also done this with the motherboard IDE
disabled (still detected by hardware probe even when disabled).

No matter what I do the hard disk is not detected.  Is there
a solution to this?

The hardware is all OK: I have NT 4.0 running on this config.

NOTE 1: I don't have the option of temporarily putting the
hard disk on motherboard IDE.  Motherboard IDE can't
recognize the disk at all (BIOS problem, no newer BIOS
available).

NOTE 2: I don't have FreeBSD 3.x installed on another
machine.  If I did, I suspect I could build a kernel with
wdc0-3, config wdc2-3 for PCI IDE as per LINT, and it would work.
--
Carl Mascott

uunet!world!cmascott

2. laptop shutdown

3. FBSD 3.3 install kernel can't detect disk on Promise Ultra33 IDE

4. Socket Error in X11

5. 3.3-R boot hangs after installing new SCSI drive

6. dyamic dns updates on pppoe

7. Install Hang FreeBsd 3.3-RELEASE

8. Serial port settings

9. User ppp + alias issue in fbsd 3.3

10. CivCTP (lokigame) on fbsd 4.2 fails, works on 3.3

11. xlockmore 4-14 wont compile with FBSD 3.3/XFree 335

12. Monobit icons in Netscape 4.7/FBSD 3.3 on Toshiba 310CDS

13. is this compaq config compatible with fbsd 3.3?