Freebsd 2.2.6 Hangs during CD install, help please.

Freebsd 2.2.6 Hangs during CD install, help please.

Post by Al Dyk » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Freebsd hangs while copying files from CD to disk, at random
times. When it hangs the PC starts beeping.

The PC has been running NT fine. It an all-scsi system with a ASUS
P-II mb an adaptec scsi interface. Under NT I can copy all the files
from CD to disk, which tells me that the CDROM and CD drive are OK.

Any Suggestions ?

Thanks.

--
Al*s
-----------

Post by Jordan K. Hubba » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Freebsd hangs while copying files from CD to disk, at random
> times. When it hangs the PC starts beeping.

This really does sound like hardware problems to me, sorry.

Quote:> The PC has been running NT fine. It an all-scsi system with a ASUS

Doesn't prove anything, I'm afraid.  We've run test scenarios in which
we *deliberately* screwed up the hardware config in some way (bad
overclock, known bad cache or RAM, wrong RAM clock rate, etc) and ran
both Win95 and NT on them without the symptoms ever manifesting
themselves.  The same systems die very quickly with FreeBSD, proving
that either 95/NT just don't push the hardware to the same degree or
are better at masking the symptoms of hardware which really isn't
doing what you think it's doing.

--
- Jordan Hubbard
  The FreeBSD Project / Walnut Creek CDROM

Post by Frank Cra » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>Freebsd hangs while copying files from CD to disk, at random
>times. When it hangs the PC starts beeping.
>Any Suggestions ?

Any chance you are running a windows environment when you did that? This
wouldn't cause the problem, but... When my computer starts beeping, it
usually means some error messages have been printed out on ttyv0, and
I don't see them because starting XF86 switches you over the ttyv3.
Doing a control-alt-F1 takes you back to ttyv0, and might show you
what the actual error messages are.

                                                               Frank Crary
                                                               CU Boulder

Freebsd 2.2.6 Hangs during CD install, help please.

Post by Clint Ols » Sun, 03 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Doesn't prove anything, I'm afraid.  We've run test scenarios in which we
>*deliberately* screwed up the hardware config in some way (bad overclock,
>known bad cache or RAM, wrong RAM clock rate, etc) and ran both Win95 and
>NT on them without the symptoms ever manifesting themselves.  The same
>systems die very quickly with FreeBSD, proving that either 95/NT just
>don't push the hardware to the same degree or are better at masking the
>symptoms of hardware which really isn't doing what you think it's doing.

I'll have to concur as well.  We had a nice Intel PC 486 DX2/66 with
FreeBSD 2.X and it constantly complained about the crappy Maxtor drive it
had.  Hardware errors logging to the kernel quite frequently.  The students
wanted Win95 anyway, so I said "go ahead".  It ran for months w/o
complaints from the lab members.  Now the monitor sucks and it makes a
great doorstop.

There's nothing like a good free UNIX to help debug your hardware :)

-Clint